Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358
Results 3,571 to 3,574 of 3574

Thread: Waves of migration into South Asia

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Megalophias View Post
    I feel like I've seen these before, Parasar, but where? They aren't in the paper or supplement of "Genomic analysis of the Andamanese". The Y chromosomes of (some of) the same samples are in "Y-chromosomal sequences of diverse Indian populations and the ancestry of the Andamanese", and are now on the YFull tree, but they are normal (no E1a, A, or C2).

Edit: wait, were these from Narasimhan et al's awful Y haplogroup caller?
    Megalophias
    You have likely seen them.
    The calls were made in the Narasimhan Reich paper. The Lankan ones look fine but some of the others are surprising.

Edit: Yes the same Yfiler program!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Megalophias (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

Ah okay then I give them zero credence till I see the SNP calls myself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

parasar (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Megalophias View Post
    Ah okay then I give them zero credence till I see the SNP calls myself.
    I take them with a grain of salt myself. The single rare subclade of C1a sample is one thing but all the samples listed just as "E1a" and "C2" set off alarms.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xenus For This Useful Post:

palamede (01-13-2019),  parasar (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    C-F5481
    mtDNA
    M8a

Kyrgyzstan
    This may be of interest for you:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-dsa011519.php

Differentiating summer and winter rainfall in South Asia around 4.2 ka climatic 'event'

https://doi.org/10.5194/cp-15-73-2019

© Author(s) 2019. This work is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Research article
    15 Jan 2019

Indian winter and summer monsoon strength over the 4.2 ka BP event in foraminifer isotope records from the Indus River delta in the Arabian Sea

Alena Giesche1, Michael Staubwasser2, Cameron A. Petrie3, and David A. Hodell1

1Godwin Laboratory for Palaeoclimate Research, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 3EQ, UK
    2Institute for Geology and Mineralogy, University of Cologne, Zülpicher Str. 49a, 50674 Cologne, Germany
    3Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 3DZ, UK

Received: 15 Aug 2018 – Discussion started: 03 Sep 2018 – Accepted: 07 Dec 2018 – Published: 15 Jan 2019

Abstract

The plains of northwest South Asia receive rainfall during both the Indian summer (June–September) and winter (December–March) monsoon. Researchers have long attempted to deconstruct the influence of these precipitation regimes in paleoclimate records, in order to better understand regional climatic drivers and their potential impact on human populations. The mid–late Holocene transition between 5.3 and 3.3 ka is of particular interest in this region because it spans the period of the Indus Civilization from its early development, through its urbanization, and onto eventual transformation into a rural society. An oxygen isotope record of the surface-dwelling planktonic foraminifer Globigerinoides ruber from the northeast Arabian Sea provided evidence for an abrupt decrease in rainfall and reduction in Indus River discharge at 4.2 ka, which the authors linked to the decline in the urban phase of the Indus Civilization (Staubwasser et al., 2003). Given the importance of this study, we used the same core (63KA) to measure the oxygen isotope profiles of two other foraminifer species at decadal resolution over the interval from 5.4 to 3.0 ka and to replicate a larger size fraction of G. ruber than measured previously. By selecting both thermocline-dwelling (Neogloboquadrina dutertrei) and shallow-dwelling (Globigerinoides sacculifer) species, we provide enhanced detail of the climatic changes that occurred over this crucial time interval. We found evidence for a period of increased surface water mixing, which we suggest was related to a strengthened winter monsoon with a peak intensity over 200 years from 4.5 to 4.3 ka. The time of greatest change occurred at 4.1 ka when both the summer and winter monsoon weakened, resulting in a reduction in rainfall in the Indus region. The earliest phase of the urban Mature Harappan period coincided with the period of inferred stronger winter monsoon between 4.5 and 4.3 ka, whereas the end of the urbanized phase occurred some time after the decrease in both the summer and winter monsoon strength by 4.1 ka. Our findings provide evidence that the initial growth of large Indus urban centers coincided with increased winter rainfall, whereas the contraction of urbanism and change in subsistence strategies followed a reduction in rainfall of both seasons.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rozenfeld For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (Yesterday),  parasar (Yesterday),  pegasus (Yesterday),  tipirneni (Yesterday)

Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358