Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you speak (fluently/accentized/fairly/poorly); understand; read/write?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America

What do you speak (fluently/accentized/fairly/poorly); understand; read/write?

Even though this is a Hindi sub-form, obviously the South/Central/East Asian members here with cultural ties to Hindi speak many languages. I am curious as to your language history. Where are you from? If you speak a certain dialect, can you demarcate where it is spoken and other dialects? What is similar/different, irrespective of what Ethnolouge says; what do YOU find intelligible or non-intelligible? If you know the specific name of your dialect/language, that you and your people call it, tell me -- and tell me what other people call it. How old do you think your language is? Is it predominate amongst a certain type of people other than by geography? Does knowing your language make it easier to understand another language or more difficult? Are there unique sounds to it? Can you post a YouTube video of an example? I am pretty obsessed with languages. Feed me.

I have the poster subwess-something (sorry!) who asked my what language I speak at home to thank for stimulating the idea.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Coldmountains (07-27-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (07-27-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ528
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c1b

Raised as a coconut, English only.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kaido For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (12-27-2015),  Awale (12-31-2015),  Dr_McNinja (02-01-2016),  khanabadoshi (07-27-2015),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-28-2016),  Scarlet Ibis (07-28-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015),  Toor (07-27-2015),  ViktorL1 (08-02-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYZ View Post
    I am your brother. I was raised the same... chance and circumstance changed that later in life though!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Kaido (07-27-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015)

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    H28/W(M) : H1b5
    Y-DNA (M)
    Wife (P) : R1a-Z80

Paternal of Afghan Pashtun descent and maternal of Russian+Ukrainian. I speak Russian, German, English and a bit Ukrainian. I have also distant South Asian( Kashmiri) ancestry and if my mother is right also very distant German ancestry. Now I am learning Pashto and I love this beautiful language but it is quite hard. Hope to learn a South Asian (Indo-Aryan) language if I have enough time for it and if i improved my Pashto skills.
    Last edited by Coldmountains; 07-27-2015 at 07:04 PM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (12-27-2015),  Dr_McNinja (02-01-2016),  Kapisa (11-29-2020),  khanabadoshi (07-27-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (07-27-2015),  ViktorL1 (08-02-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Western Norwegian acestry for the most part.
    - I speak and understand Norwegian, speak two dialects and can read both Norwegian languages (Nynorsk and Bokmål), but can only write fluently Bokmål, and very bad Nynorsk.
    - I understand most if not all English accents and I speak English fluently with a mixed east Midland accent when I talk with other Brits, otherwise I speak the generic Norweglish, no Idea why this is, I just happen to do it like that
    - I also understand and can read most German sentences, but speak it very poorly.
    - Can understand basic Spanish, French and Italian as well as Latin.
    - Can also understand some words and sentences in Japanese and Hebrew, along with minor vocabulary in Mandarin, Arabic and Turkish.
    - Have studied various languages to various degrees; English, German, Latin, Hebrew, Japanese and Mandarin, and plan to focus on Mandarin in the coming years, but only to read it, dont have any plans to be able to speak it it or understand spoken Mandarin.

thats about it...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

dp (07-27-2015),  khanabadoshi (07-27-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (07-27-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

:O No Habla Pashto/Urdu?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    Paternal of Afghan Pashtun descent and maternal of Russian+Ukrainian. I speak Russian, German, English and a bit Ukrainian. I have also distant South Asian( Kashmiri) ancestry and if my mother is right also very distant German ancestry. Now I am learning Pashto and I love this beautiful language but it is quite hard. Hope to learn a South Asian (Indo-Aryan) language if I have enough time for it and if i improved my Pashto skills.
    Wow! That is extremely fascinating! Did your parent's marriage occur during the era of Soviet influence in Afghanistan, or subsequent result of it? It is surprising to me that your father is Pashtun, as I understood the bureaucracy and people of the time who were most accepting of Russian to be Kabul-centric left-leaning Dari speakers; but I suppose it does make sense... much of government and the king was Pashtun.

Does knowing Russian help you understand Ukrainian even though you can't speak it? What about other Slavic languages? Did you learn German because of living there, or were there other influences, or just interest? Which language that you grew up with helped you to learn German the most?

I love Pashtu! I just got a textbook on it. I hope to sit down and master it sometime in the near future, when other obligations are done with. I read a very interesting blog of an Urdu-speaker in Pakistan with no ties to any other language who endevoured to learn Pashto and Farsi. His assumptions that Farsi would be much easier to learn and Pashto much more difficult. He found that after 1 month, he was conversational and fairly fluent in Pashtu and it took him 6 months to achieve the same in Farsi. Totally opposite of what he and most others would think! He accounts this to the fact that, while Pashtu has an extremely different pronunciation and cadence, some letters/sounds are unique to both it and Urdu, and not in Farsi. Also, subconsciously, one unknowingly gains a certain familiarity with Pashtu in Pakistan due to the amount of people you hear speaking it in public on a daily basis. This is pretty evident when one witnesses the ability of an average Pakistani being able to accurately imitate the accent/cadence of a Pashtu speaker in their own language with little thought or effort.

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    Western Norwegian acestry for the most part.
    - I speak and understand Norwegian, speak two dialects and can read both Norwegian languages (Nynorsk and Bokmål), but can only write fluently Bokmål, and very bad Nynorsk.
    - I understand most if not all English accents and I speak English fluently with a mixed east Midland accent when I talk with other Brits, otherwise I speak the generic Norweglish, no Idea why this is, I just happen to do it like that
    - I also understand and can read most German sentences, but speak it very poorly.
    - Can understand basic Spanish, French and Italian as well as Latin.
    - Can also understand some words and sentences in Japanese and Hebrew, along with minor vocabulary in Mandarin, Arabic and Turkish.
    - Have studied various languages to various degrees; English, German, Latin, Hebrew, Japanese and Mandarin, and plan to focus on Mandarin in the coming years, but only to read it, dont have any plans to be able to speak it it or understand spoken Mandarin.

thats about it...

I have zero familiarity with Norwegian! So I have to ask are Nynorsk and Bokmål different languages of Norway or dialects of Norwegian? Also, I lied, I do have about 3 minutes of familiarity with Norwegian. I met a guy from Lahore, in Illinois who grew up in Norway and asked him to speak Norwegian. It was so alien to us! It sounded pretty cool though! It was amazing to me that the he spoke English, Norwegian, Punjabi, and Urdu without a hint of an accent in either (well I can only testify for 3...I don't know about the Norwegian).

Does understanding Norwegian give you a sense of familiarity in Finnish? What about the Farose language of the island nearby? (spelling?) I don't remember the exact classifications but I believe the differences in the languages have a lot to do based on age; ie. Farose is older than Finnish, then Norwegian etc... Maybe I am confusing different lines of languages.

Is your understanding of German something you learned or something that was natural due to knowing Norwegian?

In your studies of other languages, which languages help/hurt you in grammar, pronunciation, or differentiating sounds in each of those respective languages?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Coldmountains (07-27-2015),  dp (07-27-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ528
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c1b

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    Nah lol, my siblings can speak pashto but I just never picked it up. I'll learn someday I guess...

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaido For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (12-27-2015),  khanabadoshi (07-28-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (07-29-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    You! You are the one to thank and whose name I butchered. Sorry. LOL!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Nah lol, my siblings can speak pashto but I just never picked it up. I'll learn someday I guess...
    You must be younger or the youngest. Same with my siblings. I am the oldest and most familiar with the languages, my brother has less, and my sister... barely one other than English.

For some reason, when I was a child I thought all the languages spoken in my family were the SAME... it wasn't until I was in my teens did I realize that different languages are being spoken, not everyone can understand what is being said, and I was able to differentiate between them. I only learned 2 days ago, that my sister doesn't understand my Father's language at all... I was pretty shocked. This whole time I thought she understood. LOL!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Coldmountains (07-27-2015),  Kaido (07-27-2015),  Sein (07-27-2015)

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast