美國人
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    HV4a1

United Kingdom Italy Germany Sweden

23andMe - Middle Eastern Admixture

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding an inherited component illustrated through 23andMe's Ancestry Composition tool. According to the tool, 1.1% of my genome can be attributed to Middle Eastern ancestry, with 1.0% assigned to the Middle Eastern tapestry, while 0.1% is labeled as Broadly Middle Eastern and North African. There is no doubt I inherit this component from my mother, who is assigned 2.6% Middle Eastern ancestry.

My question is, what is the most likely source of the Middle Eastern component in my (and mother's) genome? My maternal grandmother was 100% Italian, with her family hailing from Naples and Avellino. I also had a great-uncle's yDNA tested (Haplogroup J2), and found that his only match is to a surname thought to be of Sicilian origin (Crimi), so I may have ancestry from there as well.

I appreciate any ideas or comments!
    Last edited by Kopfjäger; 11-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Maternal grandfather (MDKA: Johannes Nicholas Schaefer, Germany) - yDNA: R1b-U106+, mtDNA: T2
    Maternal grandmother (MDKA: Angelina Centrella, Avellino, Campania, Italia) - mtDNA: HV4a1

Administrator for Hidden Content , Hidden Content , and Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Nationality
    Australian, Israeli
    Y-DNA
    E-PF1975
    mtDNA
    K1a9

Australia Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopfjäger View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding an inherited component illustrated through 23andMe's Ancestry Composition tool. According to the tool, 1.1% of my genome can be attributed to Middle Eastern ancestry, with 1.0% assigned to the Middle Eastern tapestry, while 0.1% is labeled as Broadly Middle Eastern and North African. There is no doubt I inherit this component from my mother, who is assigned 2.6% Middle Eastern ancestry.

My question is, what is the most likely source of the Middle Eastern component in my (and mother's) genome? My maternal grandmother was 100% Italian, with her family hailing from Naples and Avellino. I also had a great-uncle's yDNA tested (Haplogroup J2), and found that his only match is to a surname thought to be of Sicilian origin (Crimi), so I may have ancestry from there as well.

I appreciate any ideas or comments, and appreciate it!
    I get 95.1% Ashkenazi on standard, and while it's all classified as European, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 50% or more of that would be middle eastern.
    I can be certain of one thing, that I know nothing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Doe For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-17-2014),  AJL (11-18-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    西男子
    Nationality
    美國人
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    HV4a1

I just realized that this thread should have been posted to the "23andMe" sub-forum.
    Maternal grandfather (MDKA: Johannes Nicholas Schaefer, Germany) - yDNA: R1b-U106+, mtDNA: T2
    Maternal grandmother (MDKA: Angelina Centrella, Avellino, Campania, Italia) - mtDNA: HV4a1

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    西男子
    Nationality
    美國人
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    HV4a1

Quote Originally Posted by Kopfjäger View Post
    Hi everyone,

I appreciate any ideas or comments!
    Would this Middle Eastern component be reflective of much deeper ancestry, such as the Neolithic, or could it also be a signal of more recent admixture? I know Southern Italy has connections with Phoenicians and Arabs.

Indefinite Hiatus
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    There are three approaches you could take to better define what this Near-Eastern signal represents. Using all of them together will serve as internal validation (i.e. confirming whether the answer for one is repeated through the other despite both being different approaches):

1) Run several chromosome painters on GEDmatch. Compare the region with the Near-Eastern signal in 23andMe (select "Chromosome View") with those painters to confirm whether or not it's consistently from the Near-East or it is actually South European in origin and "masked" by the reference populations (please note 23andMe's Near-Eastern reference is defined by Iran, Syria and Turkey, all of which tend to get a fair bit of "Mediterranean" component score through ADMIXTURE).

2) Choose an open-genome project calculator with an Oracle program. Obtain your component scores through it. Then, create a "synthetic" version of yourself with the proportions of your known ancestry (f.ex. for a half Swedish half Turkish from Istanbul individual, they'd need to obtain the results for each, half them and then combine the final scores). This would give you a theoretical version of yourself independent of any additional ancestries. Separately run both your results and your "synthetic" version through the calculator's specific Oracle (up to 100-150 populations) and compare the results. Specifically, you'd be looking for any significant (e.g. >2 GD) variations with South European and Near-Eastern populations.

3) More complicated, but IBD segment sharing in the approximate area in the relevant chromosome will give you the most definitive answer. I suppose contacting Davidski for his services would be an option here.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-19-2014),  AJL (11-18-2014),  Táltos (11-19-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    西男子
    Nationality
    美國人
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    HV4a1

Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    There are three approaches you could take to better define what this Near-Eastern signal represents. Using all of them together will serve as internal validation (i.e. confirming whether the answer for one is repeated through the other despite both being different approaches):

1) Run several chromosome painters on GEDmatch. Compare the region with the Near-Eastern signal in 23andMe (select "Chromosome View") with those painters to confirm whether or not it's consistently from the Near-East or it is actually South European in origin and "masked" by the reference populations (please note 23andMe's Near-Eastern reference is defined by Iran, Syria and Turkey, all of which tend to get a fair bit of "Mediterranean" component score through ADMIXTURE).

2) Choose an open-genome project calculator with an Oracle program. Obtain your component scores through it. Then, create a "synthetic" version of yourself with the proportions of your known ancestry (f.ex. for a half Swedish half Turkish from Istanbul individual, they'd need to obtain the results for each, half them and then combine the final scores). This would give you a theoretical version of yourself independent of any additional ancestries. Separately run both your results and your "synthetic" version through the calculator's specific Oracle (up to 100-150 populations) and compare the results. Specifically, you'd be looking for any significant (e.g. >2 GD) variations with South European and Near-Eastern populations.

3) More complicated, but IBD segment sharing in the approximate area in the relevant chromosome will give you the most definitive answer. I suppose contacting Davidski for his services would be an option here.
    Thank you for the reply, DMXX. How can I access GEDmatch?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    go to GEDmatch.com

Register an account (it goes by email)
    They accept autosomal zipped Build 36 files from Ancestry, 23andme and FamilyTreeDNA.
    Admixture and one-to-one are available after a few minutes. One to many searches may take a day or two.
    hope that helps. I only had a minute.
    dp :-)
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

AJL (11-19-2014)