American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Italy Two Sicilies Germany Palatinate Lithuania Poland Slovakia

mtDNA I5a1

Hi Guys,
    I hope somebody can help me out. I received a private message from someone who is mtDNA I5a1. They messaged me because they Googled for information about it. It turns out they came across my post here about my husband's mtDNA being I5a1 from his 23andme results. They heard from author Genie Milgrom that it is related to Kurdish Jews and is a Sephardic subclade.

I find this to be interesting as my husband's mother said that her direct maternal grandmother had stated that she was Jewish on her deathbed. This was something the family had not heard before. His mother reports that she was from Russia or Ukraine. When I look at the mtDNA I DNA Project results, I do see one I5a1 listed as being a Sephardic subclade. https://www.familytreedna.com/public...tion=mtresults

If anyone knows anything further about this particular subclade being Jewish, or anything else (looks like some are in Iberia and France too) it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY94773
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a2-T16086C

Israel Colombia Spain
    Hello Everyone,

As Táltos has mentioned above I have contacted author Genie Milgrom who also belongs to mtDNA I5a1 and she has verified to me that FTDNA states that this is indeed a Sephardic Clade. I have already tested on 23andme and now I am awaiting results from FTDNA to gather more information.

According to Terreros 2011 Haplogroup I originates from West Asia.
    http://www.nature.com/jhg/journal/v5...g2010174a.html

It is noteworthy that, with the exception of its northern neighbor Azerbaijan, Iran is the only population in which haplogroup I exhibits polymorphic levels. Also, a contour plot based on the regional phylogeographic distribution of the I haplogroup exhibits frequency clines consistent with an Iranian cradle... Moreover, when compared with other populations in the region, those from the Levant (Iraq, Syria and Palestine) and the Arabian Peninsula (Oman and UAE) exhibit significantly lower proportions of I individuals... It should be noted that this haplogroup has been detected in European groups (Krk, a tiny island off the coast of Croatia (11.3%), and Lemko, an isolate from the Carpathian Highlands (11.3%)) at comparable frequencies to those observed in the North Iranian population. However, the higher frequencies of the haplogroup within Europe are found in geographical isolates and are likely the result of founder effects and/or drift... it is plausible that the high levels of haplogroup I present in Iran may be the result of a localized enrichment through the action of genetic drift or may signal geographical proximity to the location of origin.
    Terreros 2011
    If anyone has more information on this haplogroup or subclade please share. Thank you for posting Táltos.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to henrymcs For This Useful Post:

Táltos (12-14-2014)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Quote Originally Posted by henrymcs View Post
    Hello Everyone,

As Táltos has mentioned above I have contacted author Genie Milgrom who also belongs to mtDNA I5a1 and she has verified to me that FTDNA states that this is indeed a Sephardic Clade. I have already tested on 23andme and now I am awaiting results from FTDNA to gather more information.

According to Terreros 2011 Haplogroup I originates from West Asia.
    http://www.nature.com/jhg/journal/v5...g2010174a.html

If anyone has more information on this haplogroup or subclade please share. Thank you for posting Táltos.
    Your welcome, and thanks for the further information henrymcs. Please keep us posted on your results. Hopefully my husband or mother-in-law will be interested in doing the full mtDNA sequence sometime soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

Asimakidis (10-01-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Natufian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Levantine

Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel

I5a1 based on 23andme data.

Hi everyone

According to 23andme and FTDNA my maternal haplogroup is I5a. I Ran my 23andme data through the James Lick utility and my haplogroup is I5a1. It looks like the utility was able to go a little further with the data.

Is it true that I5a1 is a Sephardic Jewish clade or Kurdish Jewish clade?

Attached a photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DNA Tribes

Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%
    Finnish 1.2%
    Lebanese Cypriot 1%
    Other 1.4%

Sephardic Jewish Turkey 18.8%
    Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands 18.6%
    Sardinia 18.4%
    Lithuania 15.7%
    Russia Voronezh 7%
    Belgium 5.6%
    Syrian Jewish 4.9%
    Libyan Jewish 4.4%
    Russia Tver 2.4%
    Azerbaijani Jewish 2.2%

Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY94773
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a2-T16086C

Israel Colombia Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tz85 View Post
    Hi everyone

According to 23andme and FTDNA my maternal haplogroup is I5a. I Ran my 23andme data through the James Lick utility and my haplogroup is I5a1. It looks like the utility was able to go a little further with the data.

Is it true that I5a1 is a Sephardic Jewish clade or Kurdish Jewish clade?

Attached a photo.
    Please respond in our thread named mtDNA I5a1.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Natufian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Levantine

Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymcs View Post
    Please respond in our thread named mtDNA I5a1.
    Huh??
    DNA Tribes

Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%
    Finnish 1.2%
    Lebanese Cypriot 1%
    Other 1.4%

Sephardic Jewish Turkey 18.8%
    Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands 18.6%
    Sardinia 18.4%
    Lithuania 15.7%
    Russia Voronezh 7%
    Belgium 5.6%
    Syrian Jewish 4.9%
    Libyan Jewish 4.4%
    Russia Tver 2.4%
    Azerbaijani Jewish 2.2%

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Quote Originally Posted by Tz85 View Post
    Huh??
    Hi Tz85,

henrymcs was referring to an older mtDNA I5a1 thread. I have merged the two together. This is is the first time, well it's probably been well over a year that I have looked at the I Project's results... For clarification I can no longer see were one of the I5a1's is listed as Sephardic. Perhaps they removed themselves from the project?

I don't remember, did you test your full sequence at FTDNA?

This might be of interest to you have if you have not seen it. http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm
    I5a1c G6182A on there seems to be a subclade among Bedouins.
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    Brazil
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a1b

Brazil Israel Portugal Spain France
    Hi,

I am Reginaldo Ramos de Lima (mtDNA I5a1b; crypto jewish heritage in Piracuruca/Piripiri, Piauí, Brazil). I think that mtDNA I5a1b as a subclade Sephardic, whose families surnames could be Mendes (Brites Mendes e Goes de Vasconcelos) or Dias (Branca Dias), proeminent Jewish crypto women in Pernambuco, colonial Brazil. I descend matrilinearly from Lina Rosa de Jesus (c. 1825), whose surname is unknown, unfortunately. My gedmatch is T459395.
    Last edited by Táltos; 01-20-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Removed matches’ names

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reginaldo Ramos de Lima For This Useful Post:

Táltos (01-20-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    Brazil
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a1b

Brazil Israel Portugal Spain France
    Hello,

Brites Mendes de Goes e Vasconcelos (c.1525, Lisbon, Portugal - 19/12/1620, Olinda, Pernambuco, Brazil), wife of Arnaud de Holanda.
    Branca Dias (c.1515, Viana da Foz do Lima, Portugal -c. 1588, Olinda, Pernambuco, Brazil), wife of Diogo Fernandes.

Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY94773
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a2-T16086C

Israel Colombia Spain
    Yeah it seems the category was removed from the I Haplogroup mtDNA Project. 23andme had me as I5a1, but FTDNA through full mtDNA has me as I5a2-T16086C. Now the person to which Táltos mentioned that had a category in that mtDNA Project directly matches Reginaldo Ramos de Lima. I'm sorry for the confusion Tz85 and thank you for merging the threads Táltos. Tz85 I would try to do a full mtDNA test with FTDNA to see the exact haplogroup and matches.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to henrymcs For This Useful Post:

Táltos (01-20-2019)