Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Irish and I1 ?

Hello, I'm new here. I recently took the auotsomal test at 23andme and was found to be I1 haplogroup. I have a 67 marker test on the way from FTDNA but haven't received the results as yet. My surname is just about as Irish as one can get(Molloy) so for the past several years in researching family history and leading up to an actual DNA test I fully expected to be within the R1b haplogroup and the subclade specific to descendants of Niall of the 9 Hostages. I joined the Molloy clan project and they have no members outside the 'Niall' haplogroup so this has thrown me a bit of a curve. Thus far I only know of 2 other surnames attached to my Molloy surname within my family history. Reardon and Brady are the other 2. I have spoken to members of those projects and come up empty. No Molloy connections in their groups either. I did not even know nor had I even heard of I1 chiefly because I know next to nothing about ancestral dna or haplogroups other than my previously mentioned awareness of Molloys descending from the Niall group. Now I am even more curious than ever. I suppose the real answer is to wait for the 67 marker test results but I thought I would see if I could find at least some direction for this from those of you with knowledge about it. I also joined the I1 FTDNA project and Mr. Knordvedt has asked me to share my results with him once I receive them. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (12-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

I think the STR test at FTDNA will be more revealing for you, since you'll be able to see who some of your matches are, what their geographical distribution is, etc. By looking at the Malloy/Molloy FTDNA project, I see there are several R1b clades and even some R1a represented there; so being I1 need not imply an NPE and wouldn't be inconsistent with an Irish background if you're paper trail strongly points to Ireland. I'd just advise you wait and see what comes out of the STR test. If you have a bunch of Scandinavian matches, perhaps you descend from a Viking who decided to stay; or if you see many English matches, perhaps an Anglo-Saxon made his way to Ireland.

I haven't seen any analyses of the I1 in Ireland to be honest. Does anyone know the predominant clades?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Yes I have seen that I1 and I suppose also R1a is quite low in Ireland(I have seen it listed as around 4-5%). Thus far it has been difficult to find any lengthy relative trail. None of the Irish families with surnames Reardon or Brady have come up with any Molloy connections. I thought maybe our I1 was just a small native Irish haplogroup that was already there(?) What threw me most about it is the fact that I have known Scandinavian lines on my mothers side yet until I received my results from 23andme I hadn't even considered it on my father's side. I forgot to add that 23andme came up with an 'Ancestral Composition' of 75% northern European and British Isles were high percentage in the mix so I took that as meaning that our I1 was likely not from Scandinavian origins though that is just my assumption. The 23andme test only gave me the generic 'I1' with no more specific subclade info. I agree, I will certainly find out more once results are in from the 67 test. All Ken Knordvedt told me thus far is that he is certain the 67 test will confirm the I1. I found 1 other man who lives in Ireland with I1 and we have no known family ties and as of this point he also has no idea where they acquired the I1.
    Last edited by Kamo; 01-04-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Well, you can have a non-native-Irish ancestor whose contributions to your autosomal DNA are negligible. For the sake of argument, let's say you paternal line descends from a Scandinavian Viking from ~1000 years ago, or ~33 generations assuming a generation time of 30 years. His contribution to your autosome would be on the order of 10E-8%. Even if you were to do some more sophisticated analysis to account for inbreeding and that this man likely fills several roles in your family tree (not a knock at the Irish, this is true of everyone; see, for example, pedigree collapse at wikipedia); his contribution is still essentially 0; so I'm not surprised that you look autosomally like an Irishman if that is where your ancestry hails from.

The 67-marker test will be very revealing - even if you have no close matches.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pyromatic For This Useful Post:

spruithean (07-31-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

That makes complete sense pyromatic. I only had 2 matches on 23andme but did not quite understand how it worked because neither of them were within my Y haplogroup or mt haplogroup. The only other continental European groups shown in my ancestral composition list were French and German. So, the overall showed 75% Northern European and listed British Isles, French, German. I made the foolish mistake of closing my 23andme account a month after I got my results so I have no data access to transfer to FTDNA at this point.

Registered Users
    Sex

So 23andme is a SNP-based test. Your matches there are people with whom you share matching segment(s) on one or more chromosomes; so your relationship to them need not be directly through your paternal line, like your matches from FTDNA's STR-based test.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

I see. I wasn't taking into account the mtdna from 23andme whereas my FTDNA test is only on the paternal line. I will wait for the results. Thank you for your input.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L126
    mtDNA (M)
    H3

Keep us posted, is your backround from Donegal by any chance?
    I actually match a person with a Donegal backround at 23andme who is I1 (I'm from Donegal myself), and was corresponding with someone else with a Donegal background who is also I1. One name is Gaelic (McHugh) and the other I'd assume to be Welsh (Griffin). The McHugh fella has his info on semargl and his closest y match was an English surname.
    Your surname matches will be interesting.
    I wonder if I1 could be associated with Gallowglass mercenaries.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Sweden European Union Kalmar Union
    Your match also needn't be through mtDNA/the maternal line. 23andMe matches on autosomal DNA, the 22 pairs of non-sex chromosomes all humans have, plus the X (or X's, for women). Y-DNA and mtDNA (mitochondrial) are distinct from autosomal, and used at 23andMe only to determine haplogroups and for the medical info, not for matching.
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

ySearch & mitoSearch: DK8FB

FTDNA kit: 367588

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Salkin For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (07-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

All great questions rossa but I as yet have few answers for them. At a website from Ireland regarding Irish ancestry and dna I found this about Molloy-

"Native Irish 4 distinct clans, estimated 4 founding ancestors found, Genetic Homeland - Offaly, Galway/Mayo borderland, Donegal, Wexford and possibly Armagh."

I have had a bit of trouble trying to find familial connections to others with the same surname as well as the other 2 Irish surnames within my family that I am aware of which are Brady and Reardon. I have spoken to a number of people over the net from both of those but without any luck thus far. I spoke with another Molloy from Ireland(spelled Melloy) and he informed there are Molloys who have for a very long time been in Scotland -

"MacGiollaruaidh – Scottish surname Anglicised as McGilroy, Gilroy, Milroy, Milloy, Melroy, Molloy and Melloy. I have been told that the Melloys of Perth in Scotland are part of this family."

rossa I have no known ties to any Molloys in Donegal but this onformation was also provided from the same gentleman -

"O Maolmhaodhog – a Donegal family, also appearing as Mullog, Mulvogue. O Maoildhia – I have come across one person using this name as Gaelic version of Molloy. He also lives in Donegal."

http://www.irishorigenes.com/molloy

http://www.irishorigenes.com/surname...earch=&page=12

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast