Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Okay I see Salkin. Thank you for the info. I'm quite new at this and learning.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Anglo-Kiwi-Euro
    Y-DNA (P)
    I 1a2a1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    R1a1

United Kingdom New Zealand England Adygea European Union
    Good luck with your searches.

Dont forget that there's an awful lot of water around NW europe which ancient populations regarded as highways rather than barriers. There was a slave market in viking Dublin from about 840 to 1171 which (I have no reliable reference to pint to as I type this) dealt in slaves os scots origin as well as local 'recruits'.

I have a distant family branch (mainly in Cork) of Anglo-Norman origin settling in the 12th C. There was considerable commercial traffic via Dublin with England and France throughout the 2nd Millenium CE so Irish 'ethnicity' is possibly not a hugely meaningful concept (unless you are looking at sunscreen factors).

My, those I1 bearers were a determined bunch in pressing westward 'though !

Edit : Another possible source? http://www.buildinghistory.org/brist...onslaves.shtml
    Last edited by Melcombe; 01-25-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Quote Originally Posted by Melcombe View Post
    Good luck with your searches.

Dont forget that there's an awful lot of water around NW europe which ancient populations regarded as highways rather than barriers. There was a slave market in viking Dublin from about 840 to 1171 which (I have no reliable reference to pint to as I type this) dealt in slaves os scots origin as well as local 'recruits'.

I have a distant family branch (mainly in Cork) of Anglo-Norman origin settling in the 12th C. There was considerable commercial traffic via Dublin with England and France throughout the 2nd Millenium CE so Irish 'ethnicity' is possibly not a hugely meaningful concept (unless you are looking at sunscreen factors).

My, those I1 bearers were a determined bunch in pressing westward 'though !

Edit : Another possible source? http://www.buildinghistory.org/brist...onslaves.shtml

I haven't been on in awhile. I am still waiting for the 67 marker results freom FTDNA.(waiting since December 2014) They say they are very backlogged. Thank you for the link. I often see I1 being related to the Norse but is it not also likely that the Angles, Saxons or even Jutes may well have had a high level of I1 as well? That would tie in with the link you posted.
    Last edited by Kamo; 03-22-2015 at 04:52 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Sweden European Union Kalmar Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamo View Post
    I haven't been on in awhile. I am still waiting for the 67 marker results freom FTDNA.(waiting since December 2014) They say they are very backlogged. Thank you for the link. I often see I1 being related to the Norse but is it not also likely that the Angles, Saxons or even Jutes may well have had a high level of I1 as well? That would tie in with the link you posted.
    Yes, very likely. I1 is often said to be found everywhere that had a Germanic presence.
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

ySearch & mitoSearch: DK8FB

FTDNA kit: 367588

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Results came in today. It's early and from what I am learning this will continue to develop. Right now I am just trying to get a handle on what all the info means. Would be nice if someone who understands all these 'SNPs' and 'STRs' that it lists could define what it computes to. "Predicted Haplogroup I-M253" I see the STR panels and Haplotree SNPs. Does that info point to what peoples we picked up the I-M253 from? I have several Irish matches but it appears the majority are in Norway. Next highest is England and then Scotland, then Sweden then Denmark. That's the info on the Ancestral origins page though I don't know what any of it means.
    Last edited by Kamo; 03-26-2015 at 01:01 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-26-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Now I am really wondering. I just spoke to an Irish genetic Genaologist this morning and after he reviewed my detailed results he says he was actually surprised at such a large % of Norwegian matches with relatively small Ireland matches and his analysis is that he doesn't really see what he would consider Irish ancestry. It appears to him that somewhere along the line was what he called a "non paternal event". I assume that esssentially means illegitimate birth, adoption etc wherein the child was given a surname unrelated to the actual father of the child at the head of my paternal line. Yess, there are a very large number of matches particularly from Norway, to my eyes a there are still a good number of matches in the British Isles with Shetland, Isle of Man being listed as well. Not sure what to make of all this now. My original intent was to search out familial ancestry and since I have a stereotypically Irish last name, I was searching out Ireland. But other than 1 other man named Peter Richard Molloy, there are no other Molloys of variouss spellings in any of the Irish or Molloy dna projects with anything other than R1b-M222 ydna. Peter Richard Molloy I believe ios listed as residing in Scotland. Where to turn next......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-26-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Have you joined the I1 FTDNA project yet? Going off your 67 marker results they'll be able to indicate which subclade you're likely to carry, therefore allowing you to select individual SNPs for further testing. This would prove far more useful in uncovering your paternal origins.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 03-26-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (07-31-2017),  JMcB (09-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Yes, I had joined it several months ago and corresponded with a Ken Nordtvedt. He asked that I allow him to view my results once they come in. I emailed him yesterday letting him know the results came in and am awaiting his reply. You mentioned the 67 marker results and those are the ones the other genetic geneaologist said made him think I have little Irish ancestry. My autosomal results from 23andme however showed highest % in Scandinavian but it still also listed 'British Isles' as next highest with small percentages listed as 'France' and 'Germany'. Not sure what he actually was looking at that lead him to believe my ancestry is something other than Irish(?) Seems to me "British Isles" could also apply to Ireland no?
    Last edited by Kamo; 03-26-2015 at 04:36 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-27-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

I was informed tonight after my results were looked at that I fall into a category called "Ultra Norse" clade L813+ That is a very big surprise to me and I did not expect that. I had never heard of that designation before.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-27-2015),  Jean M (03-27-2015),  JMcB (09-15-2017),  miiser (03-29-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Where do your matches lie geographically? L813 is strongly Norwegian and also found where they went; so Viking ancestry is among the possible explanations.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pyromatic For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-27-2015),  Jean M (03-27-2015),  JMcB (09-15-2017),  miiser (03-29-2015)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast