Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will You Take the AncestryDNA Test?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    "Are they checking credit cards to make sure they are US-issued? Or could you use a remailing service?"

That would certainly be annoying. I have a U.S. address myself -- just happen to be out of the country most of the time. I already have my test results, but I may also want to order for family members in the U.S. I could use one of my U.S. cards, of course, but that isn't the point.

Even if they only ship to U.S. addresses, they still should not care what the physical address of the requestor is at the time of ordering.

(At least I was able to download my data file from Malaysia.)
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

AJL (04-08-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Perhaps they should just change their Terms of Service to accomodate overseas shipping (or at least in cases where there is one of a US card/US physical address/US account holder); it seems they're cutting themselves off from a large market.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    I had the problem of having to redo the test, and I'd already left the U.S. by the point I'd gotten the notice. If I'm remembering correctly, they would not have been able to send a new kit to my foreign address. Fortunately, I was able to have them send it to my U.S. address, and I used the kit while I was back for a visit (and sent it from there).

But this was also a free kit, so I didn't have to use any credit card. If I had, I would have had U.S.-issued cards available. Still, it would be strange if I couldn't order a kit for my dad now (he lives in Pennsylvania) or one of my five siblings.

The DNA testing companies really should want my business, especially since in addition to the already-mentioned relatives I have some 11 paternal aunts and uncles and dozens of first cousins.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b1b

Yes I have taken the Ancestry DNA test but it was not as complete as ftDNA is. I mean that according to ftDNA I'm an U5a1b1b but on Ancestry I'm an U5a1 only? Still not sure what it all means though. Also I took the Geno Project 2.0 with National geographic.and to the I'm U5a1b1b.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Iberian/Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z279(xM153)
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1a3c

United States of America Spain Basque Italy Portugal Cuba
    I just ordered an AncestryDNA kit, but one thing that I was thinking was, that if in their raw data they include SNPs for the Y Chromosome. From what I read online it seems their AncestryDNA includes some ~800 SNPs in the Y-Chromosome labeled as Chromosome 24 in their raw data. Now, can anyone who has taken the test check if they test for R1b-P312 among their tested SNPs? I just want to know, because I will take the test myself if it test for P312 (rs34276300 C=>A) or better yet for DF27, but if it doesn't I might test a family member that provides more informative genealogical data.
    Last edited by jeanL; 03-21-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    England
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA (M)
    W1g

England Poland Norway
    If it ever comes to the UK, sure I will!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1-L657 (R-Y16494)
    mtDNA (P)
    M18a

United States of America Canada
    I wonder, how many of their SNPs in the autosomal test overlap with FTDNA's Family Finder or 23andMe?
    Paternal - Y-DNA: J2b2* (J-M241) Z2432+ Z2433+ Y978+ (J2b2a2b1*) (Hidden Content ) (YFull: YF02959) (FTDNA Kit B6225), mtDNA: M18a* (FTDNA Kit 329180) (YFull: YF63773)
    Maternal- Y-DNA: R1a1a1b2a1a2c2d5a* L657+ Y7+ (R-Y16494*) (FTDNA Kit 311047) (YFull: YF68408), mtDNA: Hidden Content (FTDNA Kit B6225) (YFull: YF02959) (Mother's Mother's Father: R1a1a1b2a1a2c2* Y7+ Y29+ (R-Y29*) (FTDNA Kit 329181) (YFull: YF65256))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12