Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a>L1029>Y133383
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+

Albania Kosovo Macedonia United States of America Sweden Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    Here is a sample that I just noticed that might be a newer result in the project.

Boci Fan, Mirdite, Shqiperi J2a-M410>L25>Z387>L70

Is he the first haplogroup J2a Gheg sample from the North of Albania in the project? Overall J2a is very uncommon in the far North of Albania I know.
    There is also a J2a sample from Elbasan. Though it was more central Albania. J2a-M410>M67>M92
    Known Ancestry: Albanian
    23andme results: 94% Balkan, 0.9% Italian, 0.8% Middle Eastern, 2.2% broadly southern European, 0.3 British & Irish, 0.3% Japanese, 0.5% unassigned
    MyOrigins2.0: 100% Southeast European
    MyAncientOrigins: 62% Farmer, 24% Hunter Gatherer, 14% Metal Age Invader
    MyHeritage: 76% Greek, 16% Balkan, 8% Italian
    WeGene: 99.5% Balkan, 0.5% unassigned
    GenePlaza: 92.7% East Mediterranean, 5.2% Southwestern European, 1.5% Ambiguous
    DNA.LAND: 95% Balkan, 5% Sardinian

Gold Member Class
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    There is also a J2a sample from Elbasan. Though it was more central Albania. J2a-M410>M67>M92
    Interesting...I already mentioned this to one of the Albanian DNA Project admins but if any of you know of any other Boci men from Fani in Mirdite that are ever interested in Y-DNA testing I do not mind funding for a test. I am curious to confirm the J2a haplogroup among that family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Kelmendasi (12-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Y-DNA
    J1-ZS241
    mtDNA
    T1a1l

Albania Kosovo Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    Interesting...I already mentioned this to one of the Albanian DNA Project admins but if any of you know of any other Boci men from Fani in Mirdite that are ever interested in Y-DNA testing I do not mind funding for a test. I am curious to confirm the J2a haplogroup among that family.
    It is an interesting result indeed. I would've expected the family to belong to either J2b2-PH1751(One Fani member tested as PH1751) or J2b2-Y82255(The most common haplo in Mirdita and found in almost all Bajraks).
    Ftdna MyOrigins 2.0: 100% SE European

23andme: 100% Balkan

Geneplaza K25: 100% Greek-Albanian

Ydna: J1>P58>YSC234>ZS241

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*

Mtdna: T1a1l

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

J Man (12-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Y-DNA
    J2a2
    mtDNA
    X2i

Lebanon Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPhoenicia001 View Post
    Hello! Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking for some information about my Albanian heritage. My great grandfather migrated from Shkodėr to Lebanon in the early 1900's (possibly due to Balkan Wars?). The surname is Kojo/Koujou and it seems after they left they cut all ties with Albania, however I had family members visit in the 90's and again a couple years ago. If anyone can help me figure out why they left for sure or any information on this family, it would be a big help!
    I just realized that what we spell Kojo might be spelled Koēo in Albanian...if that changes anything. Maybe too far a stretch? I came across the spelling from an article about a famous Albanian singer.
    78.1% Lebanese (Lebanon) + 21.9% Kosovar (Kosovo) @ 3.3

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    Albanian

Albania
    I just realized that what we spell Kojo might be spelled Koēo in Albanian...if that changes anything. Maybe too far a stretch? I came across the spelling from an article about a famous Albanian singer.
    Albanian alphabet
    The spelling of the letter J in Albanian is like the letter Y in English, example:Yes.
    The great majority of Germanic languages, such as German, Dutch, Icelandic, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, use ⟨j⟩ for the palatal approximant /j/, which is usually represented by the letter ⟨y⟩ in English. Notable exceptions are English, Scots and (to a lesser degree) Luxembourgish. ⟨j⟩ also represents /j/ in Albanian, and those Uralic, Slavic and Baltic languages that use the Latin alphabet, such as Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian, Polish, Czech, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Latvian and Lithuanian. Some related languages, such as Serbo-Croatian and Macedonian, also adopted ⟨j⟩ into the Cyrillic alphabet for the same purpose. Because of this standard, the lower case letter was chosen to be used in the IPA as the phonetic symbol for the sound.
    The spelling of the letter Ē in Albanian is like Ch in English in the cases of China or Chelsea.
    Names and surnames Koēo and Koēi are mostly used in South Albania by both Muslim and Orthodox Albanians. But it is not excluded the possibility that these surnames are used in North Albania. For example:
    Hafiz Sabri Koēi
    Last edited by Labėria; 12-09-2018 at 02:48 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Labėria For This Useful Post:

KingofPhoenicia001 (12-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Y-DNA
    J2a2
    mtDNA
    X2i

Lebanon Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Labėria View Post
    Albanian alphabet
    The spelling of the letter J in Albanian is like the letter Y in English, example:Yes.

The spelling of the letter Ē in Albanian is like Ch in English in the cases of China or Chelsea.
    Names and surnames Koēo and Koēi are mostly used in South Albania by both Muslim and Orthodox Albanians. But it is not excluded the possibility that these surnames are used in North Albania. For example:
    Hafiz Sabri Koēi
    Thank you, much appreciated! Since there is no 'Ch' sound in Arabic, it would have made sense to pronounce it with a 'j'. I do get many Greek DNA relatives with ancestry from Albanian villages on the border, so maybe they were originally from the south and moved north to Shkoder later on? I'm really just speculating now haha
    78.1% Lebanese (Lebanon) + 21.9% Kosovar (Kosovo) @ 3.3

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    Albanian

Albania
    Thank you, much appreciated! Since there is no 'Ch' sound in Arabic, it would have made sense to pronounce it with a 'j'. I do get many Greek DNA relatives with ancestry from Albanian villages on the border, so maybe they were originally from the south and moved north to Shkoder later on? I'm really just speculating now haha
    I have to correct something. There are Koēi in Shkodra. Greta Koēi is a singer from Shkodra. I don`t know if they moved from South to North, maybe are native to North Albania. Meanwhile the name and surname Koēo is more Southern.
    Last edited by Labėria; 12-09-2018 at 08:03 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labėria For This Useful Post:

KingofPhoenicia001 (12-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Does Koch mean a male goat in Albanian, this is the meaning in Bulgarian. Also, I know of an old fashioned Christian name Kocho.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Y-DNA
    J1-ZS241
    mtDNA
    T1a1l

Albania Kosovo Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by eastara View Post
    Does Koch mean a male goat in Albanian, this is the meaning in Bulgarian. Also, I know of an old fashioned Christian name Kocho.
    It can be used for a ram(male sheep) that has had one of it's horns damaged or broken, I don't know if it can be used for a regular ram though, the regular word is "dash". It is spelled as "koē".
    Last edited by Kelmendasi; 12-09-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Ftdna MyOrigins 2.0: 100% SE European

23andme: 100% Balkan

Geneplaza K25: 100% Greek-Albanian

Ydna: J1>P58>YSC234>ZS241

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS5856*

Mtdna: T1a1l

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a>L1029>Y133383
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+

Albania Kosovo Macedonia United States of America Sweden Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by Labėria View Post
    I have to correct something. There are Koēi in Shkodra. Greta Koēi is a singer from Shkodra. I don`t know if they moved from South to North, maybe are native to North Albania. Meanwhile the name and surname Koēo is more Southern.
    The Koci surname is most common in Diber from Albania to Macedonia. Theres also Koci in Kosova as well. Maybe forms such as "Koco" are from the south, but most "Koci" are from the North, including my own. Theres some family that went south but that was 2-500 years ago. Being its not a surname of fis/blood, it can be shared by unrelated groups. There is also one form written as "Koca". Hafiz Sabri Koci is part of my family. Though distant cousins. My grandfather knew him personally.
    Last edited by Dibran; 12-10-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Known Ancestry: Albanian
    23andme results: 94% Balkan, 0.9% Italian, 0.8% Middle Eastern, 2.2% broadly southern European, 0.3 British & Irish, 0.3% Japanese, 0.5% unassigned
    MyOrigins2.0: 100% Southeast European
    MyAncientOrigins: 62% Farmer, 24% Hunter Gatherer, 14% Metal Age Invader
    MyHeritage: 76% Greek, 16% Balkan, 8% Italian
    WeGene: 99.5% Balkan, 0.5% unassigned
    GenePlaza: 92.7% East Mediterranean, 5.2% Southwestern European, 1.5% Ambiguous
    DNA.LAND: 95% Balkan, 5% Sardinian

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast