Ethnicity
    Korean & Anglo-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U-152
    mtDNA (M)
    B4a
    mtDNA (P)
    H7

United States of America Sweden South Korea United Kingdom Netherlands Switzerland

30 Minutes of Exercise as Good as 60 Minutes

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-as-60/261559/
    See full study here: http://ajpregu.physiology.org/conten...egu.00141.2012

PROBLEM: Creating a negative energy balance -- burning off more than you take in -- is the not-so-secret key to successful weight loss. Dieters, however, often find that eating less triggers compensatory mechanisms, such as increased appetite and a slowed metabolism, that make this balance difficult to maintain. Looking at the other side of this equation, is there an infinitely positive relationship between amount of exercise and pounds shed? Or is there a certain point where the compensatory mechanisms kick in, so that extra time on the treadmill ceases to affect weight loss?

METHODOLOGY: Sixty moderately overweight Danish men were randomly assigned to either a moderate or high-dose aerobic routine of running, biking, or rowing. The moderate exercisers burned 300 calories per day, which took about 30 minutes, while the high-dose group burned 600 calories, which, predictably, took about twice as long. The subjects' body composition was monitored throughout the 13-week experiment, as were their compensatory behaviors (food intake and non-exercise physical activity). Their accumulated energy balance was calculated from their changes in body composition.

RESULTS: The group that practiced moderate exercise lost an average of 7.9 lbs in body weight, while the group that worked harder only lost an average of 6.0 lbs. Both saw similar losses in fat mass (about 8.8 lbs in the moderate group, and 8.3 pounds in the high-dose group). Researchers measured no significant difference in caloric intake or non-exercise energy expenditure.

CONCLUSION: Comparing men who exercised for half an hour each day to men who worked out for twice as long, less exercise was actually associated with greater weight loss, and no significant difference in fat loss. So the moderate exercisers got a lot more for their effort.

IMPLICATIONS: "Lose more weight in half the time" sounds like the kind of pitch that can get you into trouble. And the researchers aren't sure exactly why they got the results that they did. They suggest that less exercise may be associated with a greater willingness to engage in other forms of physical activity throughout the day that they did not measure, or that the more intense workouts may have lead to more compensatory food intake (though, within the limits of this study, they measured no difference). This calls to light the interplay of all the variables that go into weight loss and gain, and how, when factored in the bigger picture of life and physiology and behavioral psychology and taco rewards, more exercise isn't always better.

I always take single studies with a grain of salt, but I'm not really sure if I consider this particular one to be a bit of good news or bad news. I've been trying to exercise vigorously for an average of 45 minutes, so perhaps I've been wasting time and energy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

mrjohn12 (11-16-2012)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal

Energy output per time. If you run for 30 minutes then walk 30 minutes following the run you will use up more energy than if you run for 30 minutes and spend the other 30 minutes watching tv. But you'll probably burn as much if you run for 30 minutes compared to if you walk for 60 minutes...provided you run as fast on both occasions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Azvarohi For This Useful Post:

mrjohn12 (11-16-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L1228 (my dad)
    mtDNA (M)
    V10b2
    mtDNA (P)
    v

England Denmark Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Azvarohi View Post
    Energy output per time. If you run for 30 minutes then walk 30 minutes following the run you will use up more energy than if you run for 30 minutes and spend the other 30 minutes watching tv. But you'll probably burn as much if you run for 30 minutes compared to if you walk for 60 minutes...provided you run as fast on both occasions.
    I agree, a good run burns lots of energy, weight training also uses up lots of energy preferably free weights.

Muscle mass burns calories and gives you a nice shape.

If you cant run walk up steep hills.

basque
    Me: Susan Cotton Ackroyd mito hg V10b2. Gedmatch: DT6812170 testing companies FTDNA: 23&me: Living DNA

My dad Maurice Arthur Cotton Y-DNA I-L1228. L1227-L1228+L623-L801-CTS9183- Mito hg V Gedmatch: XL1021420 testing company FTDNA

My cousin William Bainbridge Y DNA R-U150 subclade R-Z150 Mito hg H3g1 Gedmatch:TX8645666 testing company Living DNA

Yorkshire, Lancashire, Birmingham Warwickshire, Worcestershire, London, Denmark, Cumbria, Scotland

Floss Stretch Lift Weights Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to basque For This Useful Post:

mrjohn12 (11-16-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    My understanding, given my basic biochem knowledge, is that there are other factors apart from the intensity of exercise.

While cardio benefits of exercise are from the get-go, weight-loss benefits of exercise typically only kick in after 20-30 minutes, because one is burning glycogen and glucose until then, not fats. The duration exercised over that threshold should determine the amount of fat converted to glucose then burned, though of course more intense exercise will burn more calories of fat.

There may however be a phenomenon of overtraining, where cortisol levels rise in response to the stress of excessive exercise, and break proteins down into glucose. That might be what happened in this experiement.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

basque (03-06-2013)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    well, I'm not a super math expert, but it seems to me if one can arrive at a formula in which 30 min. of exercise is as good as 60 min. of exercise, which 1 to 2 ratio, then with some superior math skills, one ought to be able to eventually render that formula down to 15 is as good as 30, then 7.5 is as good as 15 min and so forth, until the energy it takes to go to the fridge and get another beer, is as good as running for an hour...

this is probably why I was so good in math in high school

remind me to tell you the 'head on paper' story from my grade 11 math class some day

Mike
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

basque (03-07-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhalen View Post
    well, I'm not a super math expert, but it seems to me if one can arrive at a formula in which 30 min. of exercise is as good as 60 min. of exercise, which 1 to 2 ratio, then with some superior math skills, one ought to be able to eventually render that formula down to 15 is as good as 30, then 7.5 is as good as 15 min and so forth, until the energy it takes to go to the fridge and get another beer, is as good as running for an hour...

this is probably why I was so good in math in high school

remind me to tell you the 'head on paper' story from my grade 11 math class some day

Mike
    You just have to make sure the beer is so heavy that you burn calories lifting it!

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

basque (03-07-2013),  ilmari (03-10-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    P109

Exercise is one of those wonderfully vague words as one is usually concerned with exercise for a specific purpose, burning off some calories, building up certain muscles or speeding up metabolism for example. A brisk walk, preferably as one poster suggested, involving a hill, has a couple of rarely discussed benefits. A single bout of exercise substantially decreases both de novo lipogenesis, ie converting dietary carbohydrate into fat and plasma VLDL (very low density lipoprotein cholesterol). It prevents a substantial portion of the food being laid down as fat. We would in the past have talked about 'walking off a meal'.

Production of the necessary enzymes starts immediately and reaches a peak at about 12 hours. Levels start to drop after 24 hours but the effect it cumulative so, a 'daily constitutional' does have some merit.

This is completely different from body sculpting, improving cardio vascular fitness or anything like that, it alters, and improves, the way you digest your food. The differences can be clearly seen in a centrifuged blood sample.

The converse is also true. Going to sleep after a heavy meal will add the pounds. It will get laid down as fat.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to authun For This Useful Post:

AJL (08-11-2013),  basque (08-09-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    P109

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    You just have to make sure the beer is so heavy that you burn calories lifting it!

I guess these girls are remarkably fit:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to authun For This Useful Post:

basque (08-09-2013)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    authun...there were no pics of remarkably fit girls in your post

try again please, I am sure this is a valuable point your making and must be experianced!

Mike
    ps-was it anything like this?

bushmills girls 1.jpg
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European/Irish
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    D2a1b2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2

Australia Ireland
    Mike: Not quite, more of a "beer frau", or is it "bier frau"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast