Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amerinese 23andMe results

Sex

Amerinese 23andMe results

Below are images of my current 23andMe results. I may update these images in the future, as 23andMe updates their results.

Relevant sections of the "new" 23andMe Ancestry Overview:

Ancestry Painting:

Paternal Haplogroup:

Maternal Haplogroup:

Global Similarity - Basic:

Global Similarity - Advanced:

Relative Finder - Map View:

My latest results from Dr. McDonald for comparison:

Most likely fit is 70.5% (+- 1.1%) Europe (all Western Europe)
    and 5.2% (+- 1.3%) Mideast (various subcontinents)
    and 24.3% (+- 0.8%) E. Asia (various subcontinents)

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
    most likely at the top
    English= 0.679 Jewish= 0.074 Tu= 0.246 or
    English= 0.706 Palestin= 0.048 Tu= 0.246 or
    English= 0.714 Egyptian= 0.040 Tu= 0.246 or
    English= 0.709 Druze= 0.043 Tu= 0.247 or
    English= 0.713 Bedouin= 0.040 Tu= 0.246 or
    English= 0.709 Armenian= 0.044 Tu= 0.248 or
    English= 0.697 Cypriot= 0.054 Tu= 0.248 or
    English= 0.719 Palestin= 0.054 Japanese= 0.228 or
    English= 0.693 Jewish= 0.079 Japanese= 0.228 or
    English= 0.713 Iranian= 0.041 Tu= 0.245

I would discount the Mideast and say that likely it simply is trying
    to represent the GErman/Polish. Also, Tu is an ethnic Chinese that is
    close to Japanese. The American is real. at 0.5%. So it verifies exactly what you expect.
    The geographic map is not terribly good for this person.

Doug McDonald
    McDonald Ancestry Painting:

McDonald Scatter Plot:

McDonald "Spot on the Map" Plot:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amerinese For This Useful Post:

DMXX (07-09-2013),  FaerieQueene (06-25-2014),  Grossvater (10-15-2012),  Scarlet Ibis (10-15-2012),  Silesian (10-16-2012),  Spark (10-15-2012)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American & Korean
    Y-DNA
    Dad: U-152
    mtDNA
    B4a

United States Gadsden South Korea United Kingdom Sweden
    So did you ever have records or rumors of Native American ancestry? I notice Dr. McDonald said the American is real.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

amerinese (10-15-2012)

Sex

Those rumors seem to exist in most Appalachian families, with varying degrees of validity. Recently a paternal first cousin of my father contacted me on Ancestry.com, because my great-grandmother had been identified as "full Cherokee" in someone's Ancestry tree. He knew this wasn't possible because he spent a lot of time with her growing up, and she didn't look like a "full Cherokee". I assured him it also wasn't possible because 12.5% of Native American ancestry would stick out like a sore thumb in my autosomal DNA analysis results.

However, her maternal grandfather does look admixed a bit in one picture from the Civil War era, his father was rumored to have Native ancestry, and his paternal grandfather was indeed of unknown origins. So in my case, it may have come from there or somewhere else completely.

I found a decent-sized segment match with a woman on Gedmatch last week, who claims some Native ancestry, and contacted her by email. She has ancestry from the same area (county) as my paternal line in Kentucky, but we also have an X match, so I am possibly related to her paternally, and definitely somehow related to her maternally. She responded back saying she'd get back in touch with more details, so hopefully I will hear back from her at some point. I ran an MDLP World22 admixture analysis on her account, and indeed she does have something non-European. However even with the Native reference populations in that calculator, it's coming out like 5.5% East-South-Asian with small <1% traces of Amerind components. Oracle mixed mode predicts her as majority Northwest Euro and either 33% Colville Native, 13% Uygur, or 8% Han. I don't know what the real story is there, at least not yet.
    Last edited by amerinese; 10-15-2012 at 01:13 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amerinese For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (10-16-2012)

Sex

Recent Gedmatch 3rd-party admixture analysis results

Below are results from two of the more recent 3rd-party admixture calculators on Gedmatch.

Eurogenes Jtest:

This latest calculator by Polako does a better job of predicting my known ancestry and admixture with Oracle mixed mode, than many others out there. One shortcoming it has, is the lack of Native American reference populations.

MDLP World22:

These results are interesting and novel in some ways. My top single population match being samples from the Colville Native American reservation in the Pacific Northwest state of Washington, USA. There being a distance of around 10% from them, apparently my calculator results match theirs at about 90%. This implies something about the level of Northwest European admixture they have, similar to my own. In discussion with Vadim over on ABF, we also noted that the tribes on this reservation claim ancestry from the ancient remains of Kennewick Man, which have been identified by some as bearing an anthropological resemblance to modern Ainu and Jomon-era Japanese, perhaps explaining the genetic affinity.

Otherwise, the trace amounts of Amerind ancestry present in the results are actually stronger in the South American and Meso-American scores, rather than the North American and Arctic scores, which is counter-intuitive as it relates to overlap with my East Asian ancestry, as well as likely sources for any small North American Amerindian ancestry I may have.

Personally I wonder why these Colville samples have such a strong affinity towards East Asians. Perhaps they have assimilated some more recent East Asian ancestry, such as for example, Chinese immigrants to the west coast, who came as railroad workers and miners.

Overall I would say that prospects are extremely unlikely to find a confirmed source for the Amerind identified by Dr. McDonald on my chromosome 4. Perhaps if I found a large segment match in that region with someone who had confirmed Native American ancestry. I have searched Gedmatch for such matches in that region of chromosome 4, and not found any with Native admixture. The amount is so small, and the likely admixture so distant, that it is problematic to identify, especially with my recent East Asian ancestry obfuscating it even further.

The mixed mode results are reasonably good compared to other calculators. Where some, such as certain Dodecad calculators, and the Harappaworld calculator, falsely match me with more eastern Asian-admixed populations like Hungarians and Romanians, by borrowing a few percent from my known East Asian admixture to accomplish this, this calculator keeps my European and Asian admixture amounts closer to known proportions of 75/25, and matches me to some populations which are part of my known ancestry.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amerinese For This Useful Post:

DMXX (01-01-2013),  Scarlet Ibis (10-16-2012)

Sex

Ancestry Composition update

Below are my new Ancestry Composition chromosome paintings, in Standard mode:

Speculative Mode:

One noteworthy thing about the new tool is that it paints a Native American segment on chromosome 4, similar to the chromosome painting I received from Dr. McDonald. I have also found two Anglo-American people on 23andMe who share this segment with me, and with each other. For one it is unspecified East Asian / Native, and for the other it is Native American. So that is a reasonable confirmation that it is a real NA segment, probably inherited from my shared ancestry with these individuals from colonial Virginia or similar, and not a mis-identified part of my Japanese ancestry. I have contacted both individuals, and hope to hear back from them, so that we may attempt to narrow down which family line it originated from, by comparing genealogical records.

I thought it would be interesting to run a DIY Dodecad Globe13 target segment analysis on the segment shared between the three of us:

Chromosome# 4 Position: 23033158 to 36995562
    window size: 757 SNPs | 13.96Mb

2.78% Siberian
    28.56% Amerindian
    0.00% West_African
    0.00% Palaeo_African
    0.00% Southwest_Asian
    0.00% East_Asian
    0.00% Mediterranean
    0.18% Australasian
    9.31% Arctic
    15.33% West_Asian
    43.85% North_European
    0.00% South_Asian
    0.00% East_African
    Seems to confirm what 23andMe and Dr. McDonald found.
    Last edited by amerinese; 12-10-2012 at 06:27 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amerinese For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (12-10-2012)

Sex

Below are images of my paternal grandmother's current 23andMe results. As with my own results, I may update these images in the future, as 23andMe updates their results. I have posted in this format on a couple of other forums, in such a way that I can update image content in all locations.

Relevant sections of the 23andMe Ancestry Overview:

Maternal Haplogroup:

Ancestry Composition chromosome paintings, in Standard mode:

Speculative Mode:

Relative Finder - Map View:

Her results from Dr. McDonald for comparison:

my computer gives a result as silly as 23andme and the "other calculators":
    Most likely fit is 92.8% (+- 1.1%) Europe (all Western Europe)
    and 7.2% (+- 1.1%) S. Asia (various subcontinents)

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
    most likely at the top
    English= 0.939 S_India= 0.061 or
    English= 0.931 N_India= 0.069 or
    English= 0.919 Sindhi= 0.081 or
    English= 0.908 Pathan= 0.092 or
    English= 0.937 Hazara= 0.063 or
    English= 0.935 Uygur= 0.065
    which is silly.

a custom fit is

English 0.4712 French 0.4972 Maya 0.0208 Mandenka 0.0108 or
    Irish 0.2531 French 0.7187 Maya 0.0191 Mandenka 0.0091 or
    English 0.9156 Armenian 0.0537 Maya 0.0185 Mandenka 0.0121

but the Maya and Mandenka were chosen arbitrarily from their "continents"
    as teh most likely in the US south. And their values above are too big for what the
    chormosome plots says, which is about 0.4% each. It fits what you expect fine.
    The European clearly is British with some Continental European.

Doug McDonald
    McDonald Ancestry Painting:

McDonald Scatter Plot:

McDonald "Spot on the Map" Plot:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amerinese For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (03-21-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    amerinese: your Neanderthal is the highest I've seen -- though I should also say the idea that Neanderthals interbred with humans is under challenge.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

amerinese (03-19-2013)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    amerinese: your Neanderthal is the highest I've seen -- though I should also say the idea that Neanderthals interbred with humans is under challenge.
    Yes, I have seen equally high scores among a few people I share with, but none which are higher.

I wonder if I haven't picked up Neanderthal-specific alleles from both Europe and Asia due to my mixed ancestry, leading to a higher-than-average measurement. Of course my paternal grandmother has 3.1% which is also much higher than average.

I haven't seen a compelling argument against Neanderthal and Denisovan interbreeding having occurred. The last information I read on the subject, had to do with OOA populations carrying these signals from North Africa.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...ists-find.html

The paper was panned heavily by genome bloggers, as was the media interpretation of it.

Personally I have a hard time with the concept that OOA migration patterns alone would lead to genome overlap with archaic sub-species which were coincidentally also found in those separate world regions nearer to where this overlap is most prevalent.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American & Korean
    Y-DNA
    Dad: U-152
    mtDNA
    B4a

United States Gadsden South Korea United Kingdom Sweden
    They put Ashkenazi on her ancestry dashboard, and she only has 0.3% on speculative mode on her ancestry painting? That bit seems a little silly to me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

amerinese (03-21-2013)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    They put Ashkenazi on her ancestry dashboard, and she only has 0.3% on speculative mode on her ancestry painting? That bit seems a little silly to me.
    In Ancestry Finder, she gets 0.6% - 2.4% genome coverage by declared Ashkenazi with 1+ GP, 5 cM, colonials included. That also seems somewhat low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast