Thread: Origins of R1a- Z283 - BY135739 Haplogroup?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom

Origins of R1a- Z283 - BY135739 Haplogroup?

Hi all,

As of December 2018, a new Branch under Z283 has been created “BY135739”, to date just 2 Big Y testers, myself I have also uploaded to Y Full, and the other tester I believe will also do so in due time.
    So we should at lease be able to put a new age to this Haplogroup BY135739,

So far it seems to be possibly a Irish Norman Haplogroup, and especially related to Eustace or formally FitzEustice, I guess there is no way of being sure if this is from the same line as the Eustace who accompanied William the Conquerer to England in 1066, without digging up his bones, anybody know where this Eustace is buried?

If indeed it was introduced by this Norman Knight, where would his paternal line originate from?

Allot of my distant matches on Yfull are from the Baltic Area, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland, Poland, And Russia.
    Do you think this might be a clue? I know Vikings were in contact with the Baltic peoples, and controlled large areas around there with the Rus, could it be that people from this area accompanied Rollo, either as mercenaries or slaves, and later becoming Knights in the Norman Dukedom?

Any ideas welcome wacky or otherwise.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-20-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

palamede (12-27-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi all,

As of December 2018, a new Branch under Z283 has been created “BY135739”, to date just 2 Big Y testers, myself I have also uploaded to Y Full, and the other tester I believe will also do so in due time.
    So we should at lease be able to put a new age to this Haplogroup BY135739,

So far it seems to possibly a Irish Norman Haplogroup, and especially related to Eustace or formally FitzEustice, I guess there is no way of being sure if this is from the same line as the Eustace who accompanied William the Conquerer to England in 1066, without digging up his bones, anybody know where this Eustace is buried?

If indeed it was introduced by this Norman Knight, where would his paternal line originate from?

Allot of my distant matches on Yfull are from the Baltic Area, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland, Poland, And Russia.
    Do you think this might be a clue? I know Vikings were in contact with the Baltic peoples, and controlled large areas around there with the Rus, could it be that people from this area accompanied Rollo, either as mercenaries or slaves, and later becoming Knights in the Norman Dukedom?

Any ideas welcome wacky or otherwise.
    I'm not sure it would be Eustace aux Gernons, his line seems to have remained on the continent for the most part, as his son Eustace III remained as a count of Boulogne while Godfrey and Baldwin became defender of the Holy Sepulchre and King of Jerusalem respectively. However there are so many FitzEustace lineages and probable unrecorded sons of Eustace aux Gernons that anything is possible.

It's possible that some of these Baltic R1a folk allied with some Norsemen and went Viking together at some point and eventually ended up in Normandy. It's becoming clearer now that Viking raiding parties weren't just composed of Scandinavians.

I think from our modern perspective we sometimes forgot about the mobility our predecessors had, while it may not have been as fast as modern transport it was certainly used. Mercenaries, soldiers of fortune or just people migrating for a chance at an improved existence could be explanations for a lot of unusual haplogroups in strange places.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (12-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    I'm not sure it would be Eustace aux Gernons, his line seems to have remained on the continent for the most part, as his son Eustace III remained as a count of Boulogne while Godfrey and Baldwin became defender of the Holy Sepulchre and King of Jerusalem respectively. However there are so many FitzEustace lineages and probable unrecorded sons of Eustace aux Gernons that anything is possible.

It's possible that some of these Baltic R1a folk allied with some Norsemen and went Viking together at some point and eventually ended up in Normandy. It's becoming clearer now that Viking raiding parties weren't just composed of Scandinavians.

I think from our modern perspective we sometimes forgot about the mobility our predecessors had, while it may not have been as fast as modern transport it was certainly used. Mercenaries, soldiers of fortune or just people migrating for a chance at an improved existence could be explanations for a lot of unusual haplogroups in strange places.
    Agreed, I think for the moment that is as good a hypothesis as we are going to find, thanks for your input.
    Gedmatch
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post

Interestingly Yfull has this Haplogroup down as Y128147, and with a recent common ancestor 750 years ago
    Attachment 28147
    Gedmatch
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content