Thread: NEW DNA TRIBES STR AUTOSOMAL TEST - ODD RESULTS

Banned
    Sex

Post NEW DNA TRIBES STR AUTOSOMAL TEST - ODD RESULTS

I just got my results from DNA Tribes STR Ancestry test. I was trying to make sense of them since they are totally unexpected, odd, and very different from any SNP autosomal test I have taken.

Typically with the admixture calculators, I get about 35-40% South and SC Asian, 40 - 50% West Asian, and the remainder European, E Asian, and African.

DNA Tribes checks allele values for 26 genetic markers distributed throughout the autosomal chromosomes, and assigns a Tribe Index to each population they compare your genome to.

This is how they describe your Tribe score:
    TribeScore: Each match also includes a TribeScore in parentheses, listing your MLI score’s percentile in that population. TribeScores compares your MLI scores to members of each ethnic group and world region. For instance, results listing “Republic of Ireland (0.97)” (see example above) would indicate that your MLI score is higher than 97% of scores from this Irish reference population, and lower than 3% of these Irish individuals. TribeScores of (0.05) and above are within the expected genetic range for that population; TribeScores of (0.25) and above are within the typical genetic range for members of that population.

The unexpected and odd thing are the high Tribe Scores they have assigned me for Yemen, Kuwait, Horn of Africa, and South India, and the low Tribe Score they have assigned me for the Indus Valley. In fact, my Tribe Score for the Horn of Africa is higher than an African-American!!!! Odd to say the least. I even wrote them to ask them if maybe they have may results switched with a Yemeni.

I realize I may be the only member who has been genotyped using their new STR test, but was hoping there are others who have tested with them using their new STR test, and can post their results, so that I can make sense of my odd results. I have highlighted the oddest results.

POPULATION
    ME (TRIBE SCORE)
    CAUCASIAN (US)
    AFRICAN-AMERICAN
    IRAN
    94%
    N/A
    N/A
    YEMEN
    92%
    N/A
    N/A
    KUWAIT
    86%
    N/A
    N/A
    MESOPOTAMIAN
    84%
    94%
    4%
    HORN OF AFRICA
    70%
    34%
    65%
    MALEDIVES
    67%
    N/A
    N/A
    INDIAN -KUWAIT
    59%
    N/A
    N/A
    ANDHRA PRADESH
    56%
    N/A
    N/A
    MAHARASHTRA/GUJRAT
    48%
    N/A
    N/A
    SOUTH INDIA
    44%
    5%
    3%
    INDUS VALLEY
    29%
    7%
    8%
    SE ASIA
    4%
    Last edited by Kurd; 03-07-2015 at 01:02 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

fil (03-07-2015),  Hanna (03-08-2015),  Kaido (03-07-2015),  NK19191 (03-07-2015)

Banned
    Sex

Horn of Africa is defined asthe areas around Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya and Sudan

Mesopotamia is defined as the areas around Iraq and Iran

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    I just got my results from DNA Tribes STR Ancestry test. I was trying to make sense of them since they are totally unexpected, odd, and very different from any SNP autosomal test I have taken.
    DNA Tribes STR results just aren't that consistent or reliable. They're based on a few markers, and the entire system was designed for the legal system to tell apart individuals within populations, not to assign individuals to populations.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Kurd (03-07-2015),  MatAust21 (12-23-2015)

Banned
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    DNA Tribes STR results just aren't that consistent or reliable. They're based on a few markers, and the entire system was designed for the legal system to tell apart individuals within populations, not to assign individuals to populations.
    That was my initial thought also. Although in their write up they claim the following:

Global Population Match: These results list your Top 20 matches in a database of 1,255 global populations, including native peoples as well as modern communities that have mixed and/or migrated around the world within the past 500 years. Matches with diasporic populations can express genetic material shared with one or more of the ancestral source populations for that modern ethnic group. For instance, DNA matches in Latin America can express European, Native American, and/or African related ancestry shared with these modern populations. For people of mixed ancestry, these matches can also include populations where similar mixes have taken place.

Part D: World Region Match: Ancestry from each part of the world is most robustly expressed by your regional DNA match scores in Part D. This comprehensive world region analysis complements more limited Part B - C comparisons to individual samples in our database (typically composed of 100-200 people each). Each of these world regions is a genetic cluster that is the product of long term patterns of migration and settlement over several millennia (predating the formation of modern nationalities).

I am not convinced that 26 markers is sufficient.
    Last edited by Kurd; 03-07-2015 at 07:49 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-08-2015)