Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Help me to solve a family Mystery: My paternal line before my great grandfather.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

England Scotland Wales Germany Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    Update: Leaving no stone unturned; this Charles Joseph Atkins relative is a direct male line descendant of Charles J. Atkins paternal grandfather. He has graciously offered to take a y-dna test. This will conclusively determine whether or not my paternal line descends from this particular Atkins line. I am very grateful to him. Should know something by the end of the year.
    Update: The Yseq.net test I ordered has arrived in Australia. Now waiting for the turn around trip and lab processing. Based on the lack of matching on the ancestry.com test (see post 147 in this thread), I'm 95% sure it's going to be negative results for the 3 SNPs on my branch that are included in the test. But, who knows? Maybe I will be surprised.
    Y-DNA R-Z49>Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    Ancestry: 37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French & Dutch, 1% India

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (11-28-2018),  msmarjoribanks (11-29-2018),  rms2 (11-29-2018),  slievenamon (11-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

Update: The Yseq.net test I ordered has arrived in Australia. Now waiting for the turn around trip and lab processing. Based on the lack of matching on the ancestry.com test (see post 147 in this thread), I'm 95% sure it's going to be negative results for the 3 SNPs on my branch that are included in the test. But, who knows? Maybe I will be surprised.
    I thought it had been lost in the mail, but the sample has finally showed up at the lab. Maybe I will know something in 2-3 weeks.
    Ancestry: 37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French & Dutch, 1% India

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

I thought it had been lost in the mail, but the sample has finally showed up at the lab. Maybe I will know something in 2-3 weeks.
    The results are in and they are negative for the descendant of Charles Joseph Atkin's paternal grandfather. The tester is apparently I1-M253.

So my #1 contender for the mystery man since 1992, Charles Joseph Atkins and his paternal Atkins relatives are removed from the "mystery man" list.

Back to the drawing board. Not sure what my next move is. Maybe there isn't one...just sit back and wait, hope, and pray.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (01-30-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-30-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    That's a bummer. Maybe eliminating that line might make something else pop in your mind. Either way at least you know now.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (01-30-2019),  MitchellSince1893 (01-30-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-30-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Back to the drawing board. Not sure what my next move is. Maybe there isn't one...just sit back and wait, hope, and pray.
    I've read this thread since the beginning but I forget all the steps and processes you've gone through, only knowing the general situation and the Y chromosome search. So I'm sorry if you've done any of this and I missed that.

It kind of reminds me of Hoosier Daddy too. Have you tried DNA painting? Your great grandfather would have inherited a full chromosome of each kind from the mystery man who then gave about half of each chromosome to your grandfather and then half of that to your father so shouldn't your father have roughly one quarter of the mystery man's DNA for each chromosome. Naturally some of the smaller ones might not have any or have significantly more. Painting might allow you to find bare spots which might indicate they come from the mystery man.

Or could you do anything like the population geneticists do. Is it possible to attempt to determine where the breaks are in your father's DNA based upon what they look like? So start by trying to peel off your father's mother's side leaving only your father's father's side and then go from there. Use all the bits you've built up from your 4th cousins and closed and attempt to see where those breaks happen. I know that by looking at DNA Tools reports it seemed like I could do it but I was never up to the task to actually complete. Plus my mystery 3rd great grandfather on my paternal line was from Tennessee and they seem hopefully intermarried so maybe it might be easier for you. I did do this to great affect to find my mother's biological father because there was some Asian/European splits that were a lot easier to follow.

Anyway it may be useful or it may just be countless hours of busywork that lead nowhere..

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

MitchellSince1893 (03-16-2019),  msmarjoribanks (03-16-2019),  slievenamon (01-31-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Vespuccian
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z41150>Z49>

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I've read this thread since the beginning but I forget all the steps and processes you've gone through, only knowing the general situation and the Y chromosome search. So I'm sorry if you've done any of this and I missed that.

It kind of reminds me of Hoosier Daddy too. Have you tried DNA painting? Your great grandfather would have inherited a full chromosome of each kind from the mystery man who then gave about half of each chromosome to your grandfather and then half of that to your father so shouldn't your father have roughly one quarter of the mystery man's DNA for each chromosome. Naturally some of the smaller ones might not have any or have significantly more. Painting might allow you to find bare spots which might indicate they come from the mystery man.

Or could you do anything like the population geneticists do. Is it possible to attempt to determine where the breaks are in your father's DNA based upon what they look like? So start by trying to peel off your father's mother's side leaving only your father's father's side and then go from there. Use all the bits you've built up from your 4th cousins and closed and attempt to see where those breaks happen. I know that by looking at DNA Tools reports it seemed like I could do it but I was never up to the task to actually complete. Plus my mystery 3rd great grandfather on my paternal line was from Tennessee and they seem hopefully intermarried so maybe it might be easier for you. I did do this to great affect to find my mother's biological father because there was some Asian/European splits that were a lot easier to follow.

Anyway it may be useful or it may just be countless hours of busywork that lead nowhere..
    Short answer: Yes

I’m fortunate that’s my father’s paternal half sister and maternal half brother have tested. Those 2, along with many other maternal and paternal grandmother cousins, and a paternal half niece have allowed me to build a detailed picture of my father’s 22 chromosomes (along with his paternal half sister’s)
    I have a ppt where each chromosome has its own slide, with color coded segments of just their paternal sides. I also use genomemate tool to keep track of matches from the various companies.

The problem is, no one recently related via my mystery man (>50cM/2nd to 4th cousin/3-5 generations back) has taken a dna test at 23&me, ancestry, FTDNA, or my heritage
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 03-17-2019 at 07:13 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (03-17-2019),  msmarjoribanks (03-16-2019),  Osiris (03-17-2019)

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516