Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq

The genetics of the Levant and the Mesopotamia-Iran

This is quite interesting. Iraqis from Badghad seem to be Iranian like and clusters with Azeris and Iranians

The Levantines who are Palestinians, Jordanians, and Syrians seem to be show strong Arabian elements.

I believe that the historical record shows that Baghdad in particular have had a strong Persian presence, and many of those Persians were Arabized. There was also a wave of Sunni scholars migrating from Persia and came to Baghdad in the 15th century, although most of them went to Eastern Arabia especially Bahrain and the UAE. Another was the migration of Persians during the Qajar era in the 18th century. Well Palestinians, Jordanians, and Syrians seem to be very strongly Arabian populations, and this especially of the first two. Historically this make sense and the genetics should not be strange.
    Last edited by Alanson; 03-22-2015 at 01:08 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alanson For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (03-25-2015),  Kurd (03-22-2015),  Rukha (03-23-2015),  The Barnacle (03-22-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afghan
    Nationality
    Afghan
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c

Afghanistan England AchaemenidEmpire1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanson View Post
    This is quite interesting. Iraqis from Badghad seem to be Iranian like and clusters with Azeris and Iranians

The Levantines who are Palestinians, Jordanians, and Syrians seem to be show strong Arabian elements.

I believe that the historical record shows that Baghdad in particular have had a strong Persian presence, and many of those Persians were Arabized. There was also a wave of Sunni scholars migrating from Persia and came to Baghdad in the 15th century, although most of them went to Eastern Arabia especially Bahrain and the UAE. Another was the migration of Persians during the Qajar era in the 18th century. Well Palestinians, Jordanians, and Syrians seem to be very strongly Arabian populations, and this especially of the first two. Historically this make sense and the genetics should not be strange.
    I agree, I mean even imam Abu hanifa was born in Iraq but of Persian( Afghanistan) origin. My friend is half Lebanese half Iraqi and both his parents know Persian

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Barnacle For This Useful Post:

Alanson (03-22-2015),  Kurd (03-22-2015),  Rukha (03-23-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barnacle View Post
    I agree, I mean even imam Abu hanifa was born in Iraq but of Persian( Afghanistan) origin. My friend is half Lebanese half Iraqi and both his parents know Persian
    Abu Hanifa and his school is the most followed in Iraq by the Sunni population, however the nomadic Bedouin tribes in the south belong to the Maliki, well those in the west seem to be Shafi. Also Iraq at one time was mostly Sunni before the massive conversions to Shiaism in the 19th century, by the Persian clergy, who btw many of them trace their ancestry back to Lebanon. As you know when Persia was transformed from Sunni to Shia, there was a large importation of Shia Arab clergy from Jebal Amil. However many of the Sunnis who did not want to convert to Shiaism took refuge in Iraq and the Gulf states these became known as Sunni Ajam, in the Gulf they have maintained their ethnic difference, but heavily Arabized, but those in Iraq assimilated. Then there was the migration of Persians to the shrine cities, and Baghdad. Yet when we look at the Palestinians and Jordanians we see more of an Arabian component, and this explained by the Arab tribes settling in those regions which continued until the 19th century.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alanson For This Useful Post:

The Barnacle (03-22-2015)