Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Schrack's A00/Cameroon project -- what happened?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2-L198 (father)
    mtDNA
    I1a1b

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    Wish I could, but I'm still unemployed and surviving on pogy, and the bureaucrats are now giving veiled threats to cut me off prematurely.
    Gosh, Vince, sorry to hear that, what's pogy? Hope you aren't cut off it, whatever it is! Sounds like a kind of gruel or something!

What you can do for us is think of new places to spread the word. It's going to be way harder to raise what we need this time, than it was two years ago. We'll need every bit of ingenuity we have, and then some. I'm sure with your brains, Vince, you'll have some good ideas.

I'm working on ways to make up the difference, if we come up short at the end, BUT these stopgaps will only work within reason! Let's really try to get as close as we can.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:

paulgill (12-12-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1h

Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Gosh, Vince, sorry to hear that, what's pogy? Hope you aren't cut off it, whatever it is! Sounds like a kind of gruel or something!
    It's slang for employment insurance benefits. Welfare, basically.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pogey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

Bonnie (12-13-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2-L198 (father)
    mtDNA
    I1a1b

Question for the other long-time (and new) readers of this thread (apart from VinceT): are you waiting to donate until the last minute, to see how we do?

Let me point out a few things:

1. If everyone did this, no donations would ever be made.
    2. You will not be charged anything unless we reach our goal.
    3. If you donate once, and then see we need more than that, it's easy to go back and add to your donation.
    4. If you're wondering if it's worth donating since our total is now so low, you can count on this:
    a) There will be more donations at the end to raise the total
    b) We don't intend to let these donations be lost by not meeting the goal by Jan. 6th. We do now have emergency plans in place, should the need arise and be unavoidable, to prevent losing the pledges, but these will be difficult, and impose debt.

Please help us move forward and produce more exciting scientific results for the community. As a donor, you'll be entitled to receive our raw data upon request, before we are ready to publish. And if you've noticed, I've been reporting a lot more often than in the period when this thread was started! You'll be hearing a lot more amazing news very soon.

http://Experiment.com/A00west

Bonnie
    Last edited by Bonnie; 12-13-2015 at 07:13 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:

paulgill (12-14-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

It's shortly before Christmas so a lot of people are probably in hock right now, or directing donations towards more immediate causes. Personally I'd be happy to donate something toward this but I won't be able to for a while.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

paulgill (12-14-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2-L198 (father)
    mtDNA
    I1a1b

Quote Originally Posted by Megalophias View Post
    It's shortly before Christmas so a lot of people are probably in hock right now, or directing donations towards more immediate causes. Personally I'd be happy to donate something toward this but I won't be able to for a while.
    Thanks, Megalophias. We weren't sure whether the Christmas season would be a positive or negative influence, given that a lot of people make end-of-year donations. This campaign will wrap up Jan 6th, giving them plenty of chance.

Even if you can't make it within that time frame, we will definitely have an ongoing need for financial support. I sincerely wish doing science didn't cost an arm and a leg. Really, we are getting bargains on a lot of things. But this is why normally, only people who have grants do field research.

We have a chance that in the future, Melissa Wilson Sayres might be able to get us some grants, if her hopes are realized. But due to the formalities of academia, those would probably have to apply to a separate project, even if it were along similar lines, or at least, the funds could only be used to test a new batch of samples, collected after the research was approved by an IRB in this country. Fortunately, she knows how to navigate that process, as I didn't!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:

paulgill (12-14-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1h

Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Hopefully this isn't going off-topic, but has any thought been given to setting up a registered charity for this sort of thing, so that donations are also tax-deductible?

i.e.
    https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-...-Organizations
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/.../menu-eng.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VinceT For This Useful Post:

paulgill (12-14-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z12
    mtDNA
    I3b (FMS)

Also, given the major benefit to Africa by way of knowledge of its history and heritage, surely some funding could be sought from the various local/national African authorities via Matthew?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GTC For This Useful Post:

paulgill (12-14-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2-L198 (father)
    mtDNA
    I1a1b

Quote Originally Posted by GTC View Post
    Also, given the major benefit to Africa by way of knowledge of its history and heritage, surely some funding could be sought from the various local/national African authorities via Matthew?
    I think if you realized what an extremely poor country Cameroon is, and how unable the government is to provide even what we would consider the most minimal basic infrastructure and public services, and also that it's considered one of the most corrupt in the continent, you would not be so optimistic about the idea of seeking government funding for a project that will not, unfortunately, contribute to improving the health or well-being of its people except in the most abstract ways. Knowledge of their history and heritage is something that Africans do not feel particularly lacking in, and I don't believe DNA studies would be the way they would hope to increase their knowledge. It's our thing; we in the wealthy countries need to come up with the resources, and not expect the Cameroonians to do it for us.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z12
    mtDNA
    I3b (FMS)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    and not expect the Cameroonians to do it for us.
    I did say some funding and I did say African authorities. However, by all means feel free to do it your way.

we in the wealthy countries need to come up with the resources
    Maybe time to knock on the doors of some wealthy institutions.
    Last edited by GTC; 12-15-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2-L198 (father)
    mtDNA
    I1a1b

Quote Originally Posted by GTC View Post
    I did say some funding and I did say African authorities.
    Africa is a continent, not a nation. There are no "African authorities."

However, by all means feel free to do it your way. Maybe time to knock on the doors of some wealthy institutions.
    Crowdfunding is great, it's growing fast in importance these days, and it's the way most genetic genealogy and citizen science projects have to be funded. Wealthy institutions aren't in the habit of giving money away to people without academic credentials or institutional backing.

However, in the longer term we have a friend pursuing grant funding. We'll see, if that works out, so much the better. The wheels grind slowly, we have to wait.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast