Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial

U5b2b clade

Hi,

I'm still alive and kickin'. My mtDNA haplogroup is U5b2b2 (Phylotree). But there aren't many matches. So I expanded this thread a bit to the somewhat larger U5b2b group. My earliest (supposedly) known female ancestress was Charity (last name unknown), born about 1760 in the Anson-Richmond County area of North Carolina. Settlers there came from both northeast and northwest directions around 1750. Hmm...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Silesian (10-22-2012)

Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223 L1229
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a5

Australia England Denmark Northern Ireland Portugal
    I just got here. Wayne from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and mtDNA U5b2a5.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Roberts For This Useful Post:

Silesian (10-22-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea mongrel
    Nationality
    tbd N.A.N.S.R. ?
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-ESc-13 Z139+
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2...

Scotland Czech Republic United States Gadsden Poland Israel
    Which downstream division of U5b2.... has the 16398A ? Earliest known female line ancestor was born in a lighthouse on the west (North Sea) coast of Schleswig in early 18th century.
    Light house is still there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scottraveler For This Useful Post:

Silesian (10-22-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a3a1*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a1b

Finland Sami
    U5b2a2 is the current name of the branch that has G16398A according to the PhyloTree U chart.

Here is the GenBank link for the "defining" individual and there is also the title of the paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/GU296541
    Last edited by ilmari; 08-20-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added link
    Genographic Project: N52850
    GenBank: EU784076
    Z62+ Z60+ Z59+ Z58+ P38+ P30+ P19+ M307+ M258+ M253+ M170+ Z73- Z140- P37.2- P259- P109- M72- M26- M227- M223- M21- M161- L803- L573- L338- L22- L211- L1248- L1247-

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmari For This Useful Post:

scottraveler (08-21-2012),  Silesian (10-22-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    My U5b2b2 haplotype may (or may not) trace back to the royal house of Leinster (Ireland, of course) around 1080 AD. But I'm not going to try to prove it myself. I casually traced a line on Ancestry.com that led that far back (it goes even farther back). Marriage with the Plantagenets of England was the route.

later:
    HOLD IT! There looks to be an error near the beginning of my long path back to Ireland. I looked at someone's data that lumps children from apparently two different mothers. My line seems to have an unknown mother, while other offspring are on that path back to Ireland (but not with my U5b2b2 DNA).

still later:
    I'm confusing myself. First off, I've returned to my original view, and think I'm more correct than many of the other entries on Ancestry. But most of those are old, and therefore obsolete. Another point is that only the female mtDNA is involved here; not Y-DNA. That's because marriage into the Plantagenets was only via females from that Irish royal house. I'm ignoring autosomal DNA in this case.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 09-14-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    My U5b2b2 haplotype may (or may not) trace back to the royal house of Leinster (Ireland, of course) around 1080 AD. But I'm not going to try to prove it myself. I casually traced a line on Ancestry.com that led that far back (it goes even farther back). Marriage with the Plantagenets of England was the route.

later:
    HOLD IT! There looks to be an error near the beginning of my long path back to Ireland. I looked at someone's data that lumps children from apparently two different mothers. My line seems to have an unknown mother, while other offspring are on that path back to Ireland (but not with my U5b2b2 DNA).

still later:
    I'm confusing myself. First off, I've returned to my original view, and think I'm more correct than many of the other entries on Ancestry. But most of those are old, and therefore obsolete. Another point is that only the female mtDNA is involved here; not Y-DNA. That's because marriage into the Plantagenets was only via females from that Irish royal house. I'm ignoring autosomal DNA in this case.
    My maternal line (U5b2b2) may (or may not) go all the way back to Aoife (Eva) MacMurrough, daughter of deposed king of Leinster (Ireland). I think her dates were 1141-1177. She married a Norman from Pembroke, Wales.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

My maternal line (U5b2b2) may (or may not) go all the way back to Aoife (Eva) MacMurrough, daughter of deposed king of Leinster (Ireland). I think her dates were 1141-1177. She married a Norman from Pembroke, Wales.
    Well, just forget it. I got off on a wrong pathway, due to other peoples' entries at Ancestry. The bad link was Maud Plantagenet. So I erased her, and started over from that point. Now it's back to a Norman or Danish origin.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

My latest maternal line construction goes back to King John Plantagenet of Magna Carta fame. He had a daughter Joan, born about 1190, who it is sometimes said (at Ancestry) was illegitimate. He had another daughter Joan who became the Queen consort up in Scotland. My poor Joan, if I chose the right mom, was the daughter of young Agatha De Ferrers, born in 1170. Agatha was the daughter of the Earl of Derby, who was off on a crusade and died in Palestine around 1190 when his granddaughter Joan was born. King John married Joan off to a rebellious Welsh prince, so she must have been considered high enough in rank for such a marriage. If Agatha De Ferrers was really Joan's mom, and not one of John's several other mistresses, then my maternal line would seem to be in tact. Otherwise who knows where my U5b2b2 haplotype came from, although it would probably be of Danish Viking/Norman origin (I would guess).
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 10-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

My latest maternal line construction goes back to King John Plantagenet of Magna Carta fame. He had a daughter Joan, born about 1190, who it is sometimes said (at Ancestry) was illegitimate. He had another daughter Joan who became the Queen consort up in Scotland. My poor Joan, if I chose the right mom, was the daughter of young Agatha De Ferrers, born in 1170. Agatha was the daughter of the Earl of Derby, who was off on a crusade and died in Palestine around 1190 when his granddaughter Joan was born. King John married Joan off to a rebellious Welsh prince, so she must have been considered high enough in rank for such a marriage. If Agatha De Ferrers was really Joan's mom, and not one of John's several other mistresses, then my maternal line would seem to be in tact. Otherwise who knows where my U5b2b2 haplotype came from, although it would probably be of Danish Viking/Norman origin (I would guess).
    I followed an alternate tree, but eventually ran into the same people (maternal line), that goes back to Normandy > Denmark > and Sweden (Cyrid of Sweden, born about 920 in Uppsala). The main difference was dropping Agatha De Ferrers, and replacing her with Clemence Le Boteler (1175-1231). But relatives soon turned into the same people.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 10-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1b1a2*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a2

Turkey
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmari View Post
    U5b2a2 is the current name of the branch that has G16398A according to the PhyloTree U chart.

Here is the GenBank link for the "defining" individual and there is also the title of the paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/GU296541
    Can anyone tell me about which region/s U5b2a2 is mostly found in? I am Turkish so it's near impossible to trace my lineage back further than a few generations due to lack of records.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast