Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    Hi,
    I remember reading somewhere, a long time ago, that Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of New Netherland, sent recruiters to Denmark, along with to the Netherlands and nearby areas, to invite new colonists to bolster his Dutch colony. That would've been in the 1600s.
    To narrow it down, it was to Protestant areas in NW Europe that those recruiters were sent; as I recall.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Theramster (09-12-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Just in case anybody is following my comments above, I have now dropped the Swedish connection. The various entries on Ancestry are conflicting, and seem to not be justified for my individual line. But a Danish origin still looks probable for my U5b2b2 haplotype.
    I am now leaning toward a Norwegian origin for my U5b2b2 haplotype, possibly/probably via the Orkneys. There was a Danish connection as Denmark claimed Norway, Orkneys, Normandy etc at that time. But there are unrecoverable gaps that look impossible to fill in, between a firm Normandy presence and arrival from Orkneys-More, Norway area.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 05-10-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

I am now leaning toward a Norwegian origin for my U5b2b2 haplotype, possibly/probably via the Orkneys. There was a Danish connection as Denmark claimed Norway, Orkneys, Normandy etc at that time. But there are unrecoverable gaps that look impossible to fill in, between a firm Normandy presence and arrival from Orkneys-More, Norway area.
    I really don't know. On Ancestry.com, I come more or less to a dead end, if my tree is right (which it may well not be). I go back to a Beatrice Le Goz. Her father's line is definitely Viking/Norse. But just who did that guy marry. Most entries go back one or two generations to Denmark, but claim royalty (looks impossible). Other entries don't even try to figure it out. And a couple give her mother as Roberta, which is a dead end.

J Man
    For what it's worth a U5b2b1 sample has been found in Upper Paleolithic Italy. It comes form Continenza.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Theramster (09-12-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-Z156
    mtDNA
    U5b2b

Ireland
    Most of my U5b2b matches are from Iberia.I think that it is the place of origin of my group and that the Basque language was the language of these people.The microliths found at Mount Sandal, Ireland were similar to those found in Denmark.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dartraighe For This Useful Post:

Theramster (09-12-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    The Ziggurat of Ur in Iraq is similar to the Palenque temple in southern Mexico. Which mitochondrial group do you suppose is responsible for that similarity and what language did they speak?

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Sex

Hi! I just got my 23andme testing back. I'm a u5b2a2, traced back to Amelia Ernestine Rebehn (married name Schendel), born 1837, somewhere in (we're pretty sure) Northern Germany, but it could be anywhere from Posen, Prussia (where her husband was born), to farther East. Anyone have any Rebehns in their family tree?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

Don't forget to look at the U5 project:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/U5b/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Theramster (09-12-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    For what it's worth a U5b2b1 sample has been found in Upper Paleolithic Italy. It comes form Continenza.
    I notice that Grotta Continenza is on the Adriatic side of the Italian peninsula. The Adriatic Sea was dry land back in the Paoleolithic. And seeing several HVR1 matches to me in Hungary, Slovakia, Czech and Poland, I suspect that part of that early U5b2b population migrated northeastward during the Mesolithic directly from the Adriatic > and around the eastern end of the Alps (after the LGM).
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 09-29-2013 at 02:20 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Theramster (09-12-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

My own U5b2b2 haplotype may trace back to Sweden. I've been at this point before. Now it is reinforced by a girl's name back in Normandy; sister to a girl on my direct maternal line (if I constructed my tree right). This could point to a descent from one of Danish King Harold Bluetooth's daughters (mother/wife from Sweden). Or it could be from a Swedish Viking's daughter. Who knows what all went on back there?
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 10-02-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast