Thread: North African and Middle Eastern ancestry, real or not

Sex

North African and Middle Eastern ancestry, real or not

Hi, I score 1% North African and Middle Eastern ancestry at 23andme and 0% at FTDNA...how can I know if its just noise or real? What are the best tools at gedmatch?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    My brother has similar percentages - he has 0.1% MENA and 0.1% East Asian at 23andMe and 2% Eastern Middle East at FTDNA, whilst on 23andMe and other sites/tests he shows a bigger pull towards the Continent than I do (including some Southern European ancestry in his AC). I'm not sure if it's just from ancient migrations or not.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M317

Cuba Vietnam
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Hi, I score 1% North African and Middle Eastern ancestry at 23andme and 0% at FTDNA...how can I know if its just noise or real? What are the best tools at gedmatch?
    May i see MDLP K23b results if you installed your raw data on Gedmatch?

Although FTDNA says i am %100 minor Asian, MDLP says i am %3,61 North african. That means MDLP k23 may be sensetive on detecting North African origins.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Tamil

Chola Empire India India Maratha Empire North Korea Kazakhstan Dravida Nadu
    Its probably just noise, its very unlikely that it reflects direct MENA ancestry cause 23 and me only goes back 500 years. It is possible that it can be from a southern european ancestor who is MENA shifted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tamilgangster For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-23-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Spain United Kingdom Poland
    I thought I might add to this thread, I score 2.15% North African on the K23b. The MDLP calculators are the only ones I pick up African on. I assume of its real its linked to my Croatian or Jewish ancestry, the Jewish seems more likely. I don't score any on 23andMe which makes sense because I'm quite certain I don't have an African/Middle Eastern ancestor from within the last 500 or so years.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by tamilgangster View Post
    Its probably just noise, its very unlikely that it reflects direct MENA ancestry cause 23 and me only goes back 500 years. It is possible that it can be from a southern european ancestor who is MENA shifted.
    I've allways been very skeptical about the "500 years"-story of 23andMe. The presence of established cold spots on chromosomes and, furthermore the fact that the recombination rate is not homogeneously distributed on the chromosomes, make such a statement very doubtable. Just one example: I have with 23andMe segments that are identified as finnish by 23andMe's "ancestral composition"-calculator. I am tempted to think that they are real, for at least two reasons: first, they are confirmed by chromosome painting with several gedmatch calculators; second, I share at least one of these segments with two dozens of people (with 23andMe, ftdna and gedmatch), all finnish or estonian.. But it is very unlikely I have finnish (or finnish-like, estonian, karelian, etc) in the 5 preceding centuries

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (06-07-2015),  Helgenes50 (06-07-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Spain United Kingdom Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    I've allways been very skeptical about the "500 years"-story of 23andMe. The presence of established cold spots on chromosomes and, furthermore the fact that the recombination rate is not homogeneously distributed on the chromosomes, make such a statement very doubtable. Just one example: I have with 23andMe segments that are identified as finnish by 23andMe's "ancestral composition"-calculator. I am tempted to think that they are real, for at least two reasons: first, they are confirmed by chromosome painting with several gedmatch calculators; second, I share at least one of these segments with two dozens of people (with 23andMe, ftdna and gedmatch), all finnish or estonian.. But it is very unlikely I have finnish (or finnish-like, estonian, karelian, etc) in the 5 preceding centuries
    Sounds like something real but ancient and I agree, I don't know how they can specifically isolate everything at 500 years.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (06-07-2015)