Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you confirm your Scandinavian ancestry?

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland

How did you confirm your Scandinavian ancestry?

This is probably more directed at those with ancestry from England, Ireland and Scotland but anyone can answer. Of those with English and Danish ancestry for example, how did you confirm the Danish? Did you manage to find a paper trail going quite a distance back? Or did you use a combination of Gedmatch, ancestor location in England and length of shared segments with others from that country to make an assumption to say yes, there is a good chance I have Danish/Scandinavian ancestry?

This question is relevant for anyone with ancestry from Norway and Sweden as well
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

dp (04-18-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    I don't think this will be of much help to you, but I have been aware of my Scandinavian ancestry ever since I can remember. Two of my father's grandparents were born in Denmark, and my mother had a grandfather who was born in Denmark and a grandmother born in Sweden. I have done some genealogical research on all of them. I think that most of the Scandinavians who emigrated to America did so in the last half of the 19th century, as did mine, so it is not a distant memory. My mother cooked Danish and Swedish recipes handed down in the family quite often, and I am still very fond of them. I even had Frikadeller last week.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenHind For This Useful Post:

Anabasis (04-17-2015),  BalkanKiwi (04-17-2015),  Gray Fox (04-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Los Angeles, California; Grand River, Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2>L20
    mtDNA (M)
    K1b2b
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-Z284
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

Canada United States of America California Republic United Kingdom Germany South Africa
    At Williamson (my mother's surname) family reunions the elder members always emphasized that we were Norwegian - that the surname Williamson was really "Valdhelmsen". Turns out that the latter was incorrect, but the Norwegian origin of the surname was correct.

The Williamsons were from the Shetland Islands, and were Mathewson, Larenson, Thomason etc. back to the 1500s where they were Norn speaking udallers (crofters, shepherds, and fishermen). The genealogy is from highly educated Williamsons and Mathewsons from the 19th Century residing in our home village of Gardie, MId Yell, Shetland. My uncle's Y chromosome is R1a1 - "New Scandinavian" and almost all his non Shetland matches are in Norway and Sweden.

My uncle and I match a 4th cousin in Shetland whose 4 grandparents were born there. All of us match a Norwegian on the very same segment, and at the predicted 4th cousin level. So autosomal evidence.

It would be more difficult to prove the Scandinavian heritage of my father's parents who were born in the Danelaw - in coastal East Anglia.
    Last edited by falconson1; 04-18-2015 at 11:22 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falconson1 For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (04-18-2015),  dp (04-18-2015),  Gray Fox (04-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-SRY2627
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c8a

United States Gadsden Devon Germany Bayern Northern Ireland Germany Palatinate Wales
    I've only traced with reasonable certainty, a couple of family lines that I believe are ultimately Scandinavian in origin. Both of them are also Scottish. As far as how I made these discoveries, it was sheer luck, plain and simple. I just happened to stumble upon someone elses hard work. That isn't always the case, so I am especially grateful for these gems.

The two lines both belong to Scandinavian associated clades, R1a-L488 and I1-M253. The I1 fellow ultimately traces back to northern Scotland and bears the surname Caudill. The R1a fellow has the surname Reid, but I cannot determine his location for certain.

Y-DNA : R1b-P312>DF27>Z196>L176.2>Z262>SRY2627*

mtDNA : J1c8

Lactase Persistence: rs4988235 - AA rs182549 - TT

EEF 49.22068981
    WHG 35.89409732
    ANE 14.88521287

Eurogenes K7:
    WHG 61.67%
    ENF 19.35%
    ANE 15.21%

Ysearch - ky8wb

ftdna - 151463

23andMe - M936999

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gray Fox For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (04-18-2015),  dp (04-18-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

Quote Originally Posted by falconson1 View Post
    At Williamson (my mother's surname) family reunions the elder members always emphasized that we were Norwegian - that the surname Williamson was really "Valdhelmsen". Turns out that the latter was incorrect, but the Norwegian origin of the surname was correct.

The Williamsons were from the Shetland Islands, and were Mathewson, Larenson, Thomason etc. back to the 1500s where they were Norn speaking udallers (crofters, shepherds, and fishermen). The genealogy is from highly educated Williamsons and Mathewsons from the 19th Century residing in our home village of Gardie, MId Yell, Shetland. My uncle's Y chromosome is R1a1 - "New Scandinavian" and almost all his non Shetland matches are in Norway and Sweden.

My uncle and I match a 4th cousin in Shetland whose 4 grandparents were born there. All of us match a Norwegian on the very same segment, and at the predicted 4th cousin level. So autosomal evidence.

It would be more difficult to prove the Scandinavian heritage of the three of my grandparents born in the Danelaw in England. Both of my father's parents were born in coastal East Anglia.
    That surname spelling is interesting and probably shows the changes throughout the generations. I can only trace my Y DNA line back to the late 1700s in the Lincolnshire, which from what I read was part of Danelaw. My surname is Tomlinson which isn't Scandinavian. There is no way to prove with records my Y-DNA, or autosomal DNA, is Danish/Scandinavian, however I get 2% Scandinavian on 23andMe (a tiny amount) and 28% on FTDNA (no doubt mostly British), I get Danish on Eurogenes oracles, I have between 6-8.7cM Danish matches on 23andMe (a distant amount) and my ancestors were in a Danelaw region. Putting that all together I could guess I have a small amount of distant Danish ancestry with no hard evidence. I'm envious of those of you who have recent ancestry, making it easier to prove
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Gray Fox (04-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Sweden European Union Kalmar Union
    Oh, it was pretty easy really...
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

ySearch & mitoSearch: DK8FB

FTDNA kit: 367588

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Salkin For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (04-18-2015),  dp (04-18-2015),  Gray Fox (04-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mutt
    Nationality
    Lost
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1b2a1a2f
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a

England Germany Netherlands France
    Not sure if I have any confirmed but I have people I share with that are heavily Scandinavian on 23andme and my Scandinavian percentage on my Ancestry Composition is 6%. Carlson is a surname I've seen(has a number of origins though) but I'm unsure on if I have any... Not as sure as Salkin on mine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PureEvil For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (04-18-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L813 >Y36690
    mtDNA (M)
    H3s
    mtDNA (P)
    H3s

Normandie France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by jtoml4 View Post
    This is probably more directed at those with ancestry from England, Ireland and Scotland but anyone can answer. Of those with English and Danish ancestry for example, how did you confirm the Danish? Did you manage to find a paper trail going quite a distance back? Or did you use a combination of Gedmatch, ancestor location in England and length of shared segments with others from that country to make an assumption to say yes, there is a good chance I have Danish/Scandinavian ancestry?

This question is relevant for anyone with ancestry from Norway and Sweden as well
    I am used to comparing my results with Eurogenes K36, IMO the Fennoscandian
    brings good results.
    Its level seems pretty high in Eastern England.

My mother who is Norman ( like me) has 12.85 % of it.
    and 36 % of North Sea ( K15). This component peaks in Norway.

As Normand, most of my Nordic Ancestors came from Danelaw
    This origin is confirmed in the place names and in the agricultural vocabulary.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

Quote Originally Posted by Helgenes50 View Post
    I am used to comparing my results with Eurogenes K36, IMO the Fennoscandian
    brings good results.
    Its level seems pretty high in Eastern England.

My mother who is Norman ( like me) has 12.85 % of it.
    and 36 % of North Sea ( K15). This component peaks in Norway.

As Normand, most of my Nordic Ancestors came from Danelaw
    This origin is confirmed in the place names and in the agricultural vocabulary.
    Interesting. I score 5.93% Fennoscandian and 30.49% North Sea on the K15. I should mention one of the surnames in my family tree is Hodgson, which apparently has Norse origin. The only surname in my tree that I know has Scandinavian origins.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Helgenes50 (04-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

If you dont love KAKAOBOLLS then some Scandinavian genes are clearly missing.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Anabasis (04-18-2015),  Salkin (04-18-2015)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast