Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cimbri - Celtic or Germanic?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Sœnskr
    Y-DNA (P)
    Father's I1
    mtDNA (M)
    Not tested yet

Sweden Denmark Norway European Union Finland Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    If you believe that Germanic are celts then that's your theory............I have never heard of this

I see that Central and south Germany where gallic/celtic people and the germanics moved from the north into central Germany over time, but never crossed into southern germany until after 350AD

The Romans state that there where no Germans south of the Danube river . The only Germans that , according to Roman historians who mis=xed with the celts happened on the modern Belgium -German border ( but Jean will discount this Caesar report)
    Every single map that i've seen seem to put the Germanic arrival to Central germany at around 2000 years ago.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    Null
    mtDNA (M)
    Null

Bump. I recall someone online trying to demonstrate a connection between Cimbri, North Jutlanders, and Danish Vikings in the UK. I would be interested to see a paper on Denmark like they recently did with France...although I do not expect as much genetic variation among ethnic native Danes.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellachán View Post
    Bump. I recall someone online trying to demonstrate a connection between Cimbri, North Jutlanders, and Danish Vikings in the UK. I would be interested to see a paper on Denmark like they recently did with France...although I do not expect as much genetic variation among ethnic native Danes.
    I'd be interested to see that paper too, but conducted far more rigorously than the French one. Sadly, I guess the connection would be that all three came from the same place and had some descendants who moved to Britain. We'd need a lot of ancient samples to start what might be the impossible task of telling groups in that region apart, and we don't have those yet.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Cellachán (08-04-2019),  JMcB (08-07-2019),  razyn (08-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    Null
    mtDNA (M)
    Null

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    I'd be interested to see that paper too, but conducted far more rigorously than the French one. Sadly, I guess the connection would be that all three came from the same place and had some descendants who moved to Britain. We'd need a lot of ancient samples to start what might be the impossible task of telling groups in that region apart, and we don't have those yet.
    Yeah, I’m sure folks would wanna see other fish fried first before Denmark. No ones probably expecting Danes to differ all that significantly. Going from one end of the country to the next, it’s probably the case it’s a meeting of a southern Swedish-like Cline and a north German like Cline beginning, naturally, by the German border. Jutland I understand received an extra pulse from Beakers compared to most other scandos, or so I hear, so maybe that would be cause for slight intrigue. I dunno.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cellachán For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-04-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    That was someone who shall remain anonymous for now who was claiming that the Cimbri were predominantly R1b-U152. Since he believed that the U152 connection to the La Tene Celts was self evident, the only way he could get U152 to SE England in the bodies of Danish Vikings was via the Cimbri, whom he derived from La Tene Celts who had moved north at some point.

I'm not sure he believes any of that anymore.

At the time, he predicted that Denmark and the Oslofjord region of Norway would be loaded with R1b-U152. They aren't, but no one knew that back then.
    Last edited by rms2; 08-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

GoldenHind (08-11-2019),  JMcB (08-07-2019),  JonikW (08-07-2019),  spruithean (08-08-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney
    "Nationwide Genomic Study in Denmark Reveals Remarkable Population Homogeneity" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5068857/ . Much more serious study that the two recent ones which were devoted to France.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Helgenes50 (08-11-2019),  JMcB (08-12-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    That was someone who shall remain anonymous for now who was claiming that the Cimbri were predominantly R1b-U152. Since he believed that the U152 connection to the La Tene Celts was self evident, the only way he could get U152 to SE England in the bodies of Danish Vikings was via the Cimbri, whom he derived from La Tene Celts who had moved north at some point.

I'm not sure he believes any of that anymore.

At the time, he predicted that Denmark and the Oslofjord region of Norway would be loaded with R1b-U152. They aren't, but no one knew that back then.
    I'm not sure I'm well understanding what you mean. Do you mean that you want him to remain anonymous, or that you just don't remember his name? In the second case, I can help.
    edit: by the way my very recent "adventures" with Anders Morup and the Y haplo U152-Z367 recalled me "his" theories. The fact is that finding a south-scandinavian nest for the subclade R-A14636 would be a bit interesting, if those markers were not so recent: Capture.JPG
    Last edited by anglesqueville; 08-11-2019 at 08:01 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

pete.miller (08-11-2019),  rms2 (08-13-2019)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pete.miller For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (08-11-2019),  JMcB (08-12-2019),  rms2 (08-13-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Quote Originally Posted by pete.miller View Post
    Of course.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

pete.miller (08-12-2019),  rms2 (08-13-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    "Nationwide Genomic Study in Denmark Reveals Remarkable Population Homogeneity" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5068857/ . Much more serious study that the two recent ones which were devoted to France.
    Is there a table which shows the YDNA results of the participants? I couldn't find one.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast