Ethnicity
    Kassitic acolyte
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1b1a1(J-PF7263)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Impressive ethnic/religious dances

I had this idea after watching this mighty impressive dance from panjshir:

Another form of communal dancing that left an impression on me, is that of local sufis in chechenya(called dhikr, which is a form of alternative prayer within islam, a form of bodily prayer).

Contrast it to the ghaderi sufi community kordestan, iran, which leaves it's own impressions:
    Last edited by Arbogan; 04-23-2015 at 11:46 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arbogan For This Useful Post:

Rukha (04-25-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (04-24-2015),  Tag Heuer (05-16-2018),  The Barnacle (04-23-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Qarsak is more than the video you posted. Its clapping of hands and singing along. The video below has one typical Qarsak style.
    Last edited by surbakhunWeesste; 04-24-2015 at 08:02 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015),  Rukha (04-25-2015),  The Barnacle (04-24-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afghan
    Nationality
    Afghan
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c

Afghanistan England AchaemenidEmpire1
    Quote Originally Posted by zahra View Post
    Qarsak is more than the video you posted. Its clapping of hands and singing along. The video below has one typical Qarsak style.
    Where's Rukha? He should be good at this LOOOOOL

Is it filmed in panjsher? Why are the other girls wearing those kinda clothes?
    Last edited by The Barnacle; 04-24-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kassitic acolyte
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1b1a1(J-PF7263)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

I was initially interested at how unusually martial it is(I've never seen a dance involving firing guns before). I'm not familiar with Afghan regional cultures. So by all means elaborate, I'm interested in how kandhari music would differ from tajiki qarsak music. I have an interest in all peoples cultural/spiritual expressions. They reflect on the uniquely different milieus and sentiments of all the worlds populations.
    Last edited by Arbogan; 04-24-2015 at 08:52 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbogan For This Useful Post:

surbakhunWeesste (04-24-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Quote Originally Posted by The Barnacle View Post
    Where's Rukha? He should be good at this LOOOOOL

Is it filmed in panjsher? Why are the other girls wearing those kinda clothes?
    The singer lives in Sydney! and I heard rumors that the song was filmed there and that some women in the video were of SA in origin. I think they are wearing Indian Salwaar kameez.
    On a side note I remembered Valy's Panjshir berawem. So the video was shot somewhere in Europe likely Germany and people couldn't believe how beautiful the backdrop was Its even more beautiful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6muUr7BZb8Y

Rukha is in some kind of hiding, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbogan View Post
    I was initially interested at how unusually martial it is(I've never seen a dance involving firing guns before). I'm not familiar with Afghan regional cultures. So by all means elaborate, I'm interested in how kandhari music would differ tajiki qarsak music. I have an interest in all peoples cultural/spiritual expressions. They reflect on the uniquely different milieus and sentiments of all the worlds populations.
    There aren't much articles on ethno/regional-music scene of Afghanistan. You will have to do extensive research or talk to more Afghans who will tell you more of they know ofc.

The Maori Haka.

Last edited by surbakhunWeesste; 04-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (04-24-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afghan
    Nationality
    Afghan
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c

Afghanistan England AchaemenidEmpire1
    The singer lives in Sydney! and I heard rumors that the song was filmed there and that some women in the video were of SA in origin. I think they are wearing Indian Salwaar kameez.
    On a side note I remembered Valy's Panjshir berawem. So the video was shot somewhere in Europe likely Germany and people couldn't believe how beautiful the backdrop was Its even more beautiful.

Rukha is in some kind of hiding, I guess.

There aren't much articles on ethno/regional-music scene of Afghanistan. You will have to do extensive research or talk to more Afghans who will tell you more of they know ofc.
    Wait I thought valys song was filmed in panjsher!?? It is no? Germany is not that beautiful pfffff come on Bachesh. Oh and yeah those ladies deffo did not look afghan I though so lol. I'll post some badass Attan dances later on.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kassitic acolyte
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1b1a1(J-PF7263)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Balinese kecak chant:

cherooke war dance:

khaleeji arab "raqs al saif" (sword dance)

In general all ethnic/cultural/spiritual dances are welcome
    Last edited by Arbogan; 04-24-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu
    Abadan, Iran.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jesus For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    Arbogan-this is a fun idea for a thread, thanks\

I was very surprised by the sound in the first video you posted as it sounds very much like the Irish tin flute-I tried to find a good example of it being played to some traditional Irish dance but had no luck
    in looking for the above clip, I did run into a few others that I thought some might like

the Highland sword dance-the sword and scabbord are crossed and the dancer has to travel to each 'quarter' formed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kcRvvbrxA

The east Coast of Canada is well known for having a heavy Celtic British Isles heritage and came up with their own unique brand of Canadian Celtic song and dance...the lady playing is a well known and big artist...the dancers are obviously amateurs and while do a decent job, don't show the real liveliness you get when folks would have a party like this in their house every other day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKccXHUAKKI

finally, this is a shortened clip of a very well known modern Irish dance number that does give you a good feel for Celtic music and dance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u0nUU126Hc

Mike

Zahra-I enjoyed the Haka you included, and while I'm not a big soccer fan, I know the New Zealand elite 'All blacks' team has often won their match before the first minute of play by intimidating the team they are playing against by doing a fierce version of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3QbH_i2VU
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-25-2015),  Mamluk (04-27-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Tajik-Pashtun
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a2d

Greater Khorasan Saffarid Dynasty Ghaznavid Dynasty Late United States of America Afghanistan Tajikistan
    ^This is the flute being played in the first video- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ney

Quote Originally Posted by Arbogan View Post
    I had this idea after watching this mighty impressive dance from panjshir:

That's tofang-bazi which is also prevalent in Panjsher, not Qarsak. Here is an example of Qarsak.
    https://youtu.be/kmhbyygKkaA?t=848

and you can read about those customs here (articles in Farsi).

http://payamqalam.blogfa.com/post-159.aspx
    http://talaab.blogfa.com/post-15.aspx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rukha For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-25-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast