Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Hindi/Punjabi/Urdu song are you listinining to

Registered Users
    Sex

What Hindi/Punjabi/Urdu song are you listinining to

I thought this would be a more appropriate area to post Hindi/Punjabi/Urdu songs than the lounge area. Here is a funny one by Gurdas Ji- Boot Palishaan

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

dp (07-29-2015), MonkeyDLuffy (05-18-2015), paulgill (06-22-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    mtDNA
    u2b2 gonur;swat

So, my mom and her sisters and other female cousins used to rave about this Sanjaya Dutt and Feroz Khan.
    I learned much of my hindi/urdu via old Indian movies as well esp. the black/white movies, I like few.
    My father and grandfather were in love with Madhubala and Meena Kumari as much as with Rita Hayworth Family spice.
    So, few months ago I was checking my mom's ipod and I found these songs which I love now.
    I have few family members who are bollywood movie and music fan . Other than the indian movie music, classical, and few folk tunes from Rajasthan I don't have idea about other music from that region, I would love to learn more.

Mom got caught

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by zahra View Post
    My father and grandfather were in love with Madhubala and Meena Kumari Mom got caught
    No worries, I wont tell your mom .

I was/still am also a big fan of Meena Kumari & Madhubala (Mumtaz Jahan. Her father Attaulah Khan, no relation with the folk singer from Mianwali (also one of my favorites) was Yousifzai). It is so sad and tragic that neither lady lived to see her 40th birthday. The cause of of their deaths appears to be connected to rejection from their lovers.

I got hooked on Meena Kumari after seeing the classical movie Baiju Bawra. Here is a beautiful song from that movie. Too gunga ki mauj, main Jumna ka dhara

Madubhala's road to fame was the famous movie Mughal e Azam.

Love stories have had a big impact on the culture, poetry, folk songs, and movies of the sub-continent. Heer Ranjha, Sohni Mahiwal, Sassi Punoon, Mirza Sahiban, etc. The poet Waris Shah wrote Heer, the story of which is based in Jhang (Pakistan). Here is an excerpt from Heer by Waris Shah. The movie, which is recent is available on youtube (search Waris Shah Gurdas Mann). Very highly recommended, a love story which will give you insight into the life of Waris Shah and the Punjabi culture during the Mughal rule.

Awal hamad khuda da vird karye
    Ishq kita su jag da mool mian
    Pehlan aap hi rabb ne ishq kita
    Te mashooq he nabi rasool mian

Translation:
    First acknowledge God who has made love the worth of the world
    It was God himself that first loved and the prophet is his beloved

A song/poem by Waris Shah (played by Gurdas Mann)

Last edited by Kurd; 05-18-2015 at 03:17 AM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (07-29-2015), MonkeyDLuffy (05-18-2015), paulgill (06-22-2015), surbakhunWeesste (05-18-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    mtDNA
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    No worries, I wont tell your mom .

I was/still am also a big fan of Meena Kumari & Madhubala (Mumtaz Jahan. Her father Attaulah Khan, no relation with the folk singer from Mianwali (also one of my favorites) was Yousifzai). It is so sad and tragic that neither lady lived to see her 40th birthday. The cause of of their deaths appears to be connected to rejection from their lovers.

I got hooked on Meena Kumari after seeing the classical movie Baiju Bawra. Here is a beautiful song from that movie. Too gunga ki mauj, main Jumna ka dhara

Madubhala's road to fame was the famous movie Mughal e Azam.

Love stories have had a big impact on the culture, poetry, folk songs, and movies of the sub-continent. Heer Ranjha, Sohni Mahiwal, Sassi Punoon, Mirza Sahiban, etc. The poet Waris Shah wrote Heer, the story of which is based in Jhang (Pakistan). Here is an excerpt from Heer by Waris Shah. The movie, which is recent is available on youtube (search Waris Shah Gurdas Mann). Very highly recommended, a love story which will give you insight into the life of Waris Shah and the Punjabi culture during the Mughal rule.

Awal hamad khuda da vird karye
    Ishq kita su jag da mool mian
    Pehlan aap hi rabb ne ishq kita
    Te mashooq he nabi rasool mian

Translation:
    First acknowledge God who has made love the worth of the world
    It was God himself that first loved and the prophet is his beloved

A song/poem by Waris Shah (played by Gurdas Mann)

wai wai wai. Baiju bawara is one of my fav. I watched the first few times with my father translating it for me. Now I think I have enough grasp without subtitles or a third person translation though I have hard time understanding new Hindi movies.They use too much of slangs for me to understand and too long for me actually . One of my cousin sister is a bollywood fanatic, she knows its history inside out esp if its regarding anyone with a Pashtun ancestry

I have never watched a Punjabi or any other movie from India/Pakistan except for the Indian movies. I can understand Punjabi spoken here by diaspora but I won't be able to reply back. I like Bulleh Shah's work as well, he was a great poet.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Kurd (05-18-2015), paulgill (06-22-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

wai wai wai. Baiju bawara is one of my fav. I watched the first few times with my father translating it for me. Now I think I have enough grasp without subtitles or a third person translation though I have hard time understanding new Hindi movies.They use too much of slangs for me to understand and too long for me actually . One of my cousin sister is a bollywood fanatic, she knows its history inside out esp if its regarding anyone with a Pashtun ancestry

I have never watched a Punjabi or any other movie from India/Pakistan except for the Indian movies. I can understand Punjabi spoken here by diaspora but I won't be able to reply back. I like Bulleh Shah's work as well, he was a great poet.
    Old is gold. Unfortunately, Bollywood has sacrificed quality for quantity, and have strayed too much onto a "western" path. It really saddens me that the hundreds of years spent to refine Indian music and dance, is being destroyed within a span of a few years. There is definitely something to be said for a conservative Indian lady in a classical sari, shalwar kameez, or churidar pajama vs a half naked no holds barred girl in a modern movie.

Indians should be proud of their rich culture and unique heritage, and not try to imitate the western world.

Anyway, I am really happy to see that inspite of you being second generation outside of Afghanistan, you are taking an active interest in sub continent culture, anthropology, language and history, and trying to connect to your roots.
    Last edited by Kurd; 05-18-2015 at 04:14 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (05-18-2015), paulgill (06-22-2015), redifflal (05-18-2015), surbakhunWeesste (05-18-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    mtDNA
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Wrora, seems like only you and I will post in this thread

This singer has brilliant voice

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (07-29-2015), Kurd (05-18-2015), paulgill (06-22-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    Do you guys listen to satinder sartaj? I am pretty sure you will like his songs kurd

Here are two songs i am in love with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=624XWjMwprs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAPcNPXVDQ
    Last edited by MonkeyDLuffy; 05-18-2015 at 10:45 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (07-29-2015), Kurd (05-18-2015), Snowflake (03-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Wrora, seems like only you and I will post in this thread

This singer has brilliant voice
    Hiss farq na laree khore

Ankhyan nun rehn de ankhyan de kol kol
    Chan pardesyan bol bhanven na bol

Very nice song by Reshma. I remember that she also sings saraiki.

Door door rehnde o by Shaukat Ali

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (05-18-2015), surbakhunWeesste (05-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA
    M52A

If you have a good 30 minutes to do housework or something, play this in the background on the surround system. What amazes me about this video is how the masses are sitting and enjoying pure classical genius. This is Nusrat in his element, at darbar on urs of Ganj Shakar. Look at his face during sargam at 15:30 ish. These moments in music cannot be recreated in any other genre of music.

This is more slow, khayal as opposed to qawwali above. Lot of same elements of raag, taal and taan, but a little more refined. Young Afghan guy Wali Fateh Ali Khan, amazing vocal control. This sounds great while it is raining outside imo.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redifflal For This Useful Post:

Kurd (05-18-2015), paulgill (06-22-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Do you guys listen to satinder sartaj? I am pretty sure you will like his songs kurd

Here are two songs i am in love with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=624XWjMwprs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAPcNPXVDQ
    Maula mere ala sohna jya i

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (05-18-2015)

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast