Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 117

Thread: The big R1b project - update

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,909
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Talking The big R1b project - update

    We've crossed over the 6,900 mark for members in the R1b project. This is good because as people upgrade to 67 STRs and do SNP testing we help place them in the right major "home" subclade (of R1b) project, such as ht35, U106, P312, U152, DF27, etc.

    Even after finding "home", by staying in the group they become good models for others and get included in the R1b_Haplotypes 67 STR comparison file where we can look at genetic distances and STR signatures on the same report with SNP results. This should help people find you and your haplogroup, even if the match does not show up on the FTDNA matching screen (due to GD limits).

    The "big picture" tree is on the "About" page.
    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about

    The "Background" tab from the About pages shows how the project operates:
    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

    The "Results" tab from the About pages shows how to find the key reports and has descriptions and links to a variety of sources including scientific papers about R1b.
    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about/results

    If you see any facts or links that are incorrect, please reply here.

    R1b is marked by M343+, but this includes the M269+ or P25+ people and all of the downstream SNPs like P312, L21, U106, etc, .etc. You might think of this as an umbrella project. If some one is R-M269, R-M343, R-P25 or anything in R1b and not sure where they fit, please have them join this project.

  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

     ballardgen (05-20-2015),  Captain Nordic (09-03-2016),  ChrisR (12-12-2015),  DMXX (12-11-2015),  Robert1 (08-28-2017),  Táltos (05-18-2015),  Webb (05-18-2015),  XooR (01-28-2016)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    225
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z17695
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a19

    Lazistan Byzantine Empire Great Seljuk Empire Ottoman Empire 2 Flanders
    Cool. I just joined this project (I'm #320190).

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icebreaker For This Useful Post:

     DMXX (12-11-2015),  Kopfjäger (05-18-2015)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    569
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

    Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    ... Even after finding "home", by staying in the group they become good models for others and get included in the R1b_Haplotypes 67 STR comparison file where we can look at genetic distances and STR signatures on the same report with SNP results. This should help people find you and your haplogroup, even if the match does not show up on the FTDNA matching screen (due to GD limits)...
    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about
    Hi Mike,
    I just joined (216031). I've been part of the R-L21 project for ages and the DF49 project for a goodly while. Great idea encouraging people to go back farther to help others plot themselves in with existing SNPs.

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,909
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I just joined (216031). I've been part of the R-L21 project for ages and the DF49 project for a goodly while. Great idea encouraging people to go back farther to help others plot themselves in with existing SNPs.
    Thanks, David and Icebreaker. This does help, in fact it is essential.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

     icebreaker (05-20-2015)

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,909
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    We've had an acceleration in growth recently in the R1b project. This is a chart from the project statistics taken this morning. We are over 8,500 people in the project. This has grown 600 people in last week and a half.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ect_Growth.pdf

    I'm encouraging people to upgrade to 111 Y STRs while they are on sale. Here is more background on the project; and the haplotype and gateway services provided.

    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

    Co-admin Gail R has been fantastic in supporting the project! Thanks to her we have some order.

    This is all good for the large subclade of R1b projects too. I've stayed up late the last couple of nights joining people to sub projects.

  9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

     ChrisR (12-12-2015),  GoldenHind (12-11-2015),  gotten (12-11-2015),  Huntergatherer1066 (12-11-2015),  Janet winans (12-11-2015),  Rick (12-28-2015),  VinceT (12-12-2015)

  10. #6
    Senior Member
    Posts
    410
    Sex
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

    Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    We've had an acceleration in growth recently in the R1b project. This is a chart from the project statistics taken this morning. We are over 8,500 people in the project. This has grown 600 people in last week and a half.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ect_Growth.pdf

    I'm encouraging people to upgrade to 111 Y STRs while they are on sale. Here is more background on the project; and the haplotype and gateway services provided.

    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

    Co-admin Gail R has been fantastic in supporting the project! Thanks to her we have some order.

    This is all good for the large subclade of R1b projects too. I've stayed up late the last couple of nights joining people to sub projects.
    Wow, congrats! The trendline for that graph now looks like a 5th degree polynomial. Be prepared to hit 100,000 members by Dec. 2020!

  11. #7
    Senior Member
    Posts
    410
    Sex
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC396>L199.1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1h

    Canada Netherlands Poland Austrian Empire Russia Imperial
    Or: that trend looks overbought. Expect a major correction shortly... lol

  12. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,909
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by Eochaidh View Post
    is there any chance that FTDNA will relax their maximum GD of 10, so that people who have long ago upgraded to 111 STRs can see some results?
    Not that I know of. This is the much of the reason I started downloading haplotypes and doing my GDs and STR off-modal tracking. It was an effort to build my deep ancestral relative base, people related 600 to 1500 years ago to me.

    I plan on extending the R1b_Haplotypes spreadsheet with a 111 STR only version and make it just 111 STR and Big Y tested folks so that others can see if they can get lucky in leveraging 111 STR results.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

     Rick (12-28-2015)

  14. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    36
    Sex
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Ethnicity
    Insular Celt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M222>FGC4077>S679
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a4b

    Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    I plan on extending the R1b_Haplotypes spreadsheet with a 111 STR only version and make it just 111 STR and Big Y tested folks so that others can see if they can get lucky in leveraging 111 STR results.
    Thanks, you helped me with this in mid 2013 and one of the closest matches that you found turns out to br R1b>M222>FGC4077>A725 with me.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eochaidh For This Useful Post:

     dp (12-23-2015),  MacUalraig (12-28-2015)

  16. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,909
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by Eochaidh View Post
    Thanks, you helped me with this in mid 2013 and one of the closest matches that you found turns out to br R1b>M222>FGC4077>A725 with me.
    You are welcome. Thank you for letting me know Eochaidh as I appreciate it. A lot of these things do work nicely but it is easy to get bogged down and forget about the progress. The lift is appreciated.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. U5 project update
    By GailT in forum U
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 06:01 AM
  2. Info Update From 23andMe
    By Gary Corbett in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 01:23 AM
  3. BritainsDNA Update
    By eastcarolinatarheel in forum Z251
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  4. ZephyrousMandaru's DNA Tribes SNP Update
    By ZephyrousMandaru in forum Other
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
  5. Y-STR Calculations Update?
    By J Man in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •