Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M35b

Basal Eurasian & Neandrathal Admixture

Reich et al. seems to suggest two hypothesis:

1. Mainline Eurasian derive from a population that intermixed with Neanderthals on some interval centred at 55 thousand years ago with the level of Neanderthal admixture somewhere between 2 and 4%.

2. Near Easterners and populations ad-mixed with Near Easterners also have Basal Eurasian which coexist what a type of WHG-like ancestry. Basal Eurasian are though to have branched off before Main line Eurasians, although the timing is not clear.

My question is:

Did Basal Eurasians branch off earlier enough to miss the Neanderthal admixture event or not? Is there any way to test this idea using statistics? I was thinking if this idea was correct then people in the Arabian peninsula should have significantly less Neanderthal admixture due to the higher level of Basal Eurasian that they might have. Also the Neanderthal admixture differential between Asian and Europeans could be explined by Basal Eurasian admixture in Europeans. Any thoughts?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VOX For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015),  Krefter (06-09-2015),  parasar (06-06-2015)

Gold Class Member

Quote Originally Posted by VOX View Post
    Reich et al. seems to suggest two hypothesis:

1. Mainline Eurasian derive from a population that intermixed with Neanderthals on some interval centred at 55 thousand years ago with the level of Neanderthal admixture somewhere between 2 and 4%.

2. Near Easterners and populations ad-mixed with Near Easterners also have Basal Eurasian which coexist what a type of WHG-like ancestry. Basal Eurasian are though to have branched off before Main line Eurasians, although the timing is not clear.

My question is:

Did Basal Eurasians branch off earlier enough to miss the Neanderthal admixture event or not? Is there any way to test this idea using statistics? I was thinking if this idea was correct then people in the Arabian peninsula should have significantly less Neanderthal admixture due to the higher level of Basal Eurasian that they might have. Also the Neanderthal admixture differential between Asian and Europeans could be explined by Basal Eurasian admixture in Europeans. Any thoughts?
    I think it did branch earlier, and it is the Basal portion that is responsible for a non-significant but still measurable difference.
    Overall West Eurasians show some of lowest Neanderthal admixture among Eurasians, though not significantly.
    The Ust’-Ishim individual shares a similar proportion of alleles with the Neandertal and the
    Denisovan to that seen in present-day mainland Eurasians. There is a tendency, though not
    significant, for the Neandertal and Denisovan to share more alleles with Ust’-Ishim than with
    Western Eurasians
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...re13810-s1.pdf

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-07-2015),  VOX (06-06-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I think it's more of a matter of....
    1) The main mixture (~2%) occurs in the Middle East between 75 and 55kya.
    2) 50kya East Eurasians and West Eurasians split and go their own ways...each encountering Neanderthals on their way. Patchy distributions of perhaps twice the levels seen today persist in various regions.
    3) The neolithic arrives in Europe from the Middle East, bringing with it the homogenized group of 2% people, reducing the neanderthal levels.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kale For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015)

Gold Class Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    I think it's more of a matter of....
    1) The main mixture (~2%) occurs in the Middle East between 75 and 55kya.
    2) 50kya East Eurasians and West Eurasians split and go their own ways...each encountering Neanderthals on their way. Patchy distributions of perhaps twice the levels seen today persist in various regions.
    3) The neolithic arrives in Europe from the Middle East, bringing with it the homogenized group of 2% people, reducing the neanderthal levels.
    Is there any evidence that there were humans of any kind AMH or Neanderthal or Denisovan in the Middle East between 75 and 55 kybp?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-07-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Finds are sparse for both in that time period, but we do have a couple Neanderthals and a couple moderns.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kale For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015),  parasar (06-07-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2-S2361 < L801
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b(1)
    mtDNA (P)
    H3

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Finds are sparse for both in that time period, but we do have a couple Neanderthals and a couple moderns.
    Where were the AMHs found? I thought they were all Neanderthals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

parasar (06-07-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a1-L283>Z1297
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Is there any evidence that there were humans of any kind AMH or Neanderthal or Denisovan in the Middle East between 75 and 55 kybp?
    There is evidence of AMH in the Levant dated at 54.7 5.5 kyr BP. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture14134.html

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sangarius For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015),  Megalophias (06-07-2015),  palamede (06-08-2015),  parasar (06-07-2015)

Gold Class Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sangarius View Post
    There is evidence of AMH in the Levant dated at 54.7 5.5 kyr BP. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture14134.html
    Exactly, the Manot 1 specimen is the earliest we have evidence of, and was in my mind as the earliest specimen when I made the query between 75k and 55k.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015)

Sex
    Omitted

Qafzeh 9 is earlier and looks very non-Neanderthal and like I think was neither N nor M

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yxc For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015),  palamede (06-08-2015),  parasar (06-09-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Tamil

Chola Empire India India Maratha Empire North Korea Kazakhstan Dravida Nadu
    There have been multiple instances of humans mixing with neanderthals, Once in the first OOA migration, then one that occurred in northern europe, and then one that occured in china. There have probably been more occurrences not yet discovered, and also likely early humans mixed with other nonhuman types.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tamilgangster For This Useful Post:

Hando (06-09-2015)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast