Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U152>>Z142>>S23458
    mtDNA (M)
    I4a

Haplogroup R-Z142 and the "Kinman Hypothesis"

Hi all,
    For the past couple of months, I have begun trying to study the origin and evolution of Haplogroup R-Z142 (within R-Z49), and particularly its recently discovered subclade (presently called R-S18325 on the YFull tree, but which will probably be renamed as the slightly larger R-FGC22963 haplogroup). Anyway, I am calling the following ideas the "Kinman Hypothesis" for short, and welcome any comments or evidence either in favor or against my ideas (divided into 4 parts):
    (1) I have concluded that both Haplogroup R-Z142 and its subclade R-FGC22963 most likely originated in the southwestern part of the state of Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany, in or near the Black Forest. The earliest branching family of R-FGC22963, Bendell, seems to have spread out from that area into other areas of Germany, as well as west across the Rhine into Alsace-Lorraine, France (there usually spelled Bendel). They would much later enter England and probably give rise to the Bovingdon/Buffington families by the 13th Century. Another important branch includes the Skinner and Zur Bruegg families (the latter around Bern, Switzerland, not far south of the Black Forest). And yet another major branch are the Langleys and their descendants (called Subgroup L in the Langley Project at FTDNA). There is also a basal branch of R-Z142 including the families Stewart, Hill, Perrott (of France, then England), and others.
    (2) However, perhaps my most novel idea is that the descendants of these families who ended up in England are concentrated in Buckinghamshire, especially in the south near the Thames River. My first clue was that some of our Langleys have traced their line back to Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire, and Langleys still live there and in Burrnham and various other places in southern Bucks, and have given their name to various places in the area. Then I realized that the village of Bovingdon Green is right next to Great Marlow, and the Buffington/Bovingdon family has a long history in the area, perhaps having been a branch of the Bendells in Buckinghamshire. Buffingtons/Bovingdons also still live in Burnham (and Farnham Royal, etc.). And at some point, a Langley apparently gave rise to a line of Maner/Maynor families. And although Sir Richard Perrott ended up further west in Somersetshire, at least one branch of that family ended up in Buckinghamshire (Newport Pagnell, etc.) and adjacent Bedfordshire (birthplace of Richard Perrott, early colonist of Virginia). Descendants of the Skinner and Zur Bruegg families apparently emigrated directly from continental Europe to America. But the others, were long established in Buckinghamshire before some members emigrated to Virginia in the 1600s (and some of their descendants then moving south to North Carolina, Georgia, etc.).
    (3) The question then arose in my mind, when had these members of Haplogroup R-FGC22963 moved from France to England? I now put forward the idea that most of them came with Sir Richard Perrott of Brittany, France, who accompanied William the Conqueror in 1066, and provided the Norman invasion with his quota of men and ships. Perrott was presumably a member of the Perrott family in that basal branch R-Z142* which split off just before the mutation giving rise to larger R-FGC22963 group discussed above. It seems reasonable to assume that various members of the subgroups of R-Z142 could have slowly moved together from northeast France to northwest France (before finally sending members into England, especially in 1066).
    (4) In summary, I propose that members of R-Z142 spread out from their origin (in or near the Black Forest) in all directions. However, it was the westward migration across the Rhine and then across northern France (and then into England, and later emigrations to Virginia), always by the most adventuresome members, which allowed this haplogroup to become so numerous and widespread. That some of their families would then continue together south from Virginia to the Carolinas, Georgia, and beyond, would be just a continuation of the long association these families have had for well over 4,000 years. I anticipate finding many more families in R-Z142 showing this same general pattern of western migration. Or are there other "hotspots" in England I have overlooked where these families occur together over a long period of time? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    ---------------Ken Kinman

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinman For This Useful Post:

cal (07-21-2015),  JACK (08-07-2015),  MitchellSince1893 (07-17-2015),  Pigmon (07-17-2015),  Woody (08-16-2015)