Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one of your ancestral lines do you have the most connection to?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by jtoml4 View Post
    Its interesting to see how many people struggle to find info on their Y-lines. I myself can only go back to my paternal 3rd great grandfather in England. As no one else on my Tomlinson side of the family had researched that area I was kind of a pioneer in that regard Its ironic how far we can go back on other lines but not our own male line.
    On my line I go back for sure to my gg-granddad Samuel A. Alexander alias Powell. I've assumed that he was the son of the guy he and his brother (Charles D. Alexander or Powell) lived with in 1850, another Samuel Powell; in either case his mother was an Alexander when she wrote her will, and he was about 8 years old. I figure the older Samuel Powell, was the son of a Revolutionary soldier who signed his name as Charles Powel. That's as far back as I can go. Note the odd spelling "Powel" not "PowelL." I think this spelling was to emphasize that he was not kin to the Powell's in the area, and subsequently may be related to why I match only one Powell kit.
    As far as the main topic, I identify with my mother's family. I have photographs of both of my mom's granddad's and think that I favor them, more than my paternal granddad. My mom's paternal uncle was interested in family history and gave me his obsession :-) I am the youngest grandson on both sides of my family, but the youngest grandchild on my mom's side. Many of my first cousins on my dad's side were as old as my mom and with the age gap I didn't fit in. I remember calling a cousin "Uncle" one time --at the time I didn't know the word wasn't a general word for an adult (most adults I knew were family). My mom's nieces and nephews were closer to my own age, so I felt more comfortable in the company of these cousins. Such is still the case, to a certain extent. I do not go to family reunions on my paternal side, and I doubt I'd recognize some of those first cousins if I bumped into them.
    dp :-)
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-21-2015),  AJL (07-22-2015),  BalkanKiwi (07-21-2015),  Gray Fox (07-22-2015),  Humanist (07-22-2015),  Jessie (07-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (07-22-2015),  rms2 (07-21-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G1a1b1 (GG167/GG200)
    mtDNA
    HV4a2a

Not necessarily the one I am most connected to, but for the time being, I am very interested in my Z2103 ancestral line. I am sure, with more aDNA, my interest in all of my ancestral lines will grow. However, it is neat to think that once upon a time, a very distantly removed ancestor may have been wandering the steppe. As a speaker of a Semitic language (Aramaic), I did not think it likely that I would find any sort of genetic connection to that part of the world.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-21-2015),  AJL (07-22-2015),  dp (07-22-2015),  Gray Fox (07-22-2015),  Jessie (07-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (07-22-2015),  rms2 (07-21-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA
    J1-YSC234 (Z18271+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    Not necessarily the one I am most connected to, but for the time being, I am very interested in my Z2103 ancestral line. I am sure, with more aDNA, my interest in all of my ancestral lines will grow. However, it is neat to think that once upon a time, a very distantly removed ancestor may have been wandering the steppe. As a speaker of a Semitic language (Aramaic), I did not think it likely that I would find any sort of genetic connection to that part of the world.
    I entirely agree with you, reality is even crazier than fiction (and all the more beautiful because of it)
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-22-2015),  BalkanKiwi (07-21-2015),  dp (07-22-2015),  Gray Fox (07-22-2015),  Humanist (07-21-2015),  Jessie (07-24-2015),  rms2 (07-21-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Crom View Post
    I identify with my Germanic roots. I have no allusions about the fact that I am an American, I know this, and unlike some Americans, I don't pretend to hold allegiances to any of the nations which my ancestors came from. I know that some people in Europe get agitated when some of my countrymen do this. However I speak English, a west Germanic language, and I would say that my "religious" beliefs are more inclined towards Germanic paganism, albeit with a more realistic bent. I don't believe that humans were born from the sweat of a giant for instance. I believe that the old gods were human and that these great leaders became revered by men after they died. Eventually whole mythos about them were created. I pray to my ancestors almost nightly and I believe that many of us could trace lineage to at least one so called "god." I have no idea what happens after death so I live my life the best I can now and I try to make good fortune where I can. My ancestry comes from so many Germanic countries that I could hardly hyphenate myself as an American, IE German-American, Danish-American. I am an American of Germanic descent who is descended from, and adheres to a Northern/Western Germanic culture. Normally I just call myself an Anglo-American. I speak English so if I was to be called anything other than an American, I would say that I am an Anglo-American. The Anglish, Saxons, and Jutes all unified in England under one banner, and I am descended from them, and the ones they left behind in Europe. It would be simpler if I lived in a European country but I do not. My identity is Anglish/English AND American. My surname is also English so that makes things even easier.
    I know you have had autosomal dna testing, but I am curious about your y-dna results. Have you done any y-dna testing? If so, what is your y haplogroup, if you don't mind saying?

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2015),  AJL (07-22-2015),  Gray Fox (07-22-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    I identify with my Germanic roots. I have no allusions about the fact that I am an American, I know this, and unlike some Americans, I don't pretend to hold allegiances to any of the nations which my ancestors came from. I know that some people in Europe get agitated when some of my countrymen do this. However I speak English, a west Germanic language, and I would say that my "religious" beliefs are more inclined towards Germanic paganism, albeit with a more realistic bent. I don't believe that humans were born from the sweat of a giant for instance. I believe that the old gods were human and that these great leaders became revered by men after they died. Eventually whole mythos about them were created. I pray to my ancestors almost nightly and I believe that many of us could trace lineage to at least one so called "god." I have no idea what happens after death so I live my life the best I can now and I try to make good fortune where I can. My ancestry comes from so many Germanic countries that I could hardly hyphenate myself as an American, IE German-American, Danish-American. I am an American of Germanic descent who is descended from, and adheres to a Northern/Western Germanic culture. Normally I just call myself an Anglo-American. I speak English so if I was to be called anything other than an American, I would say that I am an Anglo-American. The Anglish, Saxons, and Jutes all unified in England under one banner, and I am descended from them, and the ones they left behind in Europe. It would be simpler if I lived in a European country but I do not. My identity is Anglish/English AND American. My surname is also English so that makes things even easier.
    I teach on an Indian Reservation where my students are all highly aware of what tribes they come from. Often, they are surprised that their white teachers ancestors were also tribal. I teach them that some of my ancestors were Angles (from East Anglia), continental Saxons, and Thuringians. From my ancestors the Franks I descend from an ancient chief named Merovech and another great chief known as Charlemagne. I show them pictures of heavily bearded men carrying spears and wearing helmets with horns on them and fur tunics while the women have long braids. I also tell them that my ancestors from Scandinavia under their chief Rollo conquered Normandy. Some days they are impressed...other days all they care about is sex and basketball.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-20-2016),  Agamemnon (07-22-2015),  AJL (07-24-2015),  BalkanKiwi (07-22-2015),  dp (07-22-2015),  Jessie (07-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (11-21-2015)

I identify most with my 2.3% Neanderthal ancestry. I tell my family how we are descended from Great Thog Legendary Rock Chucker, Slayer of the Cave Bear, Eater of the Mole Rat. Thog was the inventor of Indo European, Rainbows, and the Horse. In his twilight years Thog created the first frigate which he used to sail around the world to China and teach the indigenous there to use chopsticks. This has of course all been completely validated by ancient DNA testing and anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot.
    Last edited by Motzart; 07-22-2015 at 05:06 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Motzart For This Useful Post:

Kaido (07-22-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic

Denmark Sweden Netherlands Germany England United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I know you have had autosomal dna testing, but I am curious about your y-dna results. Have you done any y-dna testing? If so, what is your y haplogroup, if you don't mind saying?

I have not and for now I am not interested in it. It's not really worth spending the money on right now. I know where most of my ancestors came from and that is what's important to me. A haplogroup only reveals to you a possible origin for one single line of your family. I just don't see the value in it, especially since it has no bearing on my identity. It's just a lot of money to spend for something I don't care about.

But I will add that eventually I might do it out of curiosity. The major issue is the money I would have to spend for so little a thing. I would have done 23 and Me if I had known how much more info they give you. But I did Ancestry DNA and then FTDNA. If I ever have the money to blow, and I am not wanting anything else, I might get it tested and show the results here. It will be a while but there it is.
    Last edited by Crom; 07-22-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    Known ancestry: England (All over), German (Holstein, Hannover, Westphalia), Dutch (Frisia, Zeeland, Holland), Sweden, Denmark

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic

Denmark Sweden Netherlands Germany England United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    I teach on an Indian Reservation where my students are all highly aware of what tribes they come from. Often, they are surprised that their white teachers ancestors were also tribal. I teach them that some of my ancestors were Angles (from East Anglia), continental Saxons, and Thuringians. From my ancestors the Franks I descend from an ancient chief named Merovech and another great chief known as Charlemagne. I show them pictures of heavily bearded men carrying spears and wearing helmets with horns on them and fur tunics while the women have long braids. I also tell them that my ancestors from Scandinavia under their chief Rollo conquered Normandy. Some days they are impressed...other days all they care about is sex and basketball.
    All humans were tribal at some point. It's something that most people have forgotten.
    Known ancestry: England (All over), German (Holstein, Hannover, Westphalia), Dutch (Frisia, Zeeland, Holland), Sweden, Denmark

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crom For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-24-2015),  dp (07-22-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Maori
    Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    To add to the tribal conversation, a maternal 6th great grandfather on my Maori side, Papa-Harakeke, a chief within the Ngapuhi tribe, was killed by Tuhourangi at Motutawa Island on the encouragement of Te Rauparaha, who wanted revenge for a relative lost during Ngapuhi's capture of Te Totara pa. In 1823 Hongi Hika launched his war expedition against Te Arawa to avenge the murders at Motutawa. This patu onewa (a club weapon which is commonly made from greenstone) was made by Ngapuhi to seek retribution for the death of Papaharakeke, but was never used.

Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-20-2016),  Agamemnon (07-22-2015),  AJL (07-24-2015),  Bramoan (10-02-2015),  Grossvater (07-22-2015),  Jessie (07-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (07-22-2015),  rms2 (07-22-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I have not and for now I am not interested in it. It's not really worth spending the money on right now. I know where most of my ancestors came from and that is what's important to me. A haplogroup only reveals to you a possible origin for one single line of your family. I just don't see the value in it, especially since it has no bearing on my identity. It's just a lot of money to spend for something I don't care about.

But I will add that eventually I might do it out of curiosity. The major issue is the money I would have to spend for so little a thing. I would have done 23 and Me if I had known how much more info they give you. But I did Ancestry DNA and then FTDNA. If I ever have the money to blow, and I am not wanting anything else, I might get it tested and show the results here. It will be a while but there it is.
    Well, to each his own, but we differ very strongly on the importance of one's y-dna line. For me, it is the focus of my genealogical quest and represents a straight and uniquely well preserved line of inheritance direct from my fathers. As a uniparental marker, the y chromosome is also fairly easy to understand and to trace back through time. Autosomal dna, on the other hand, while useful, is a welter of recombination events, difficult to understand and track, periodically and regularly dropping the genetic contributions of various ancestors as they recede into the dim past.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2015),  AJL (07-24-2015),  BalkanKiwi (07-22-2015),  DMXX (07-22-2015),  Gray Fox (07-22-2015),  Jessie (07-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (07-22-2015),  Torc Seanathair (07-22-2015)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast