Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V20 SNP defines new subhaplogroup of C

Gold Class Member
    Sex

V20 SNP defines new subhaplogroup of C

A few weeks ago, Dienekes commented on a newly published paper which defined a new subhaplogroup of C based on several SNPs, including V20.

Several men in the yDNA C Project have been found V20+ :

N66830 of Spain
    218881 of Poland
    164416 of Scotland

I invite those of European ancestry classified by FTDNA as C* to order the V20 SNP test.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (11-28-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex

I am surprised this thread didn't start again with the publication of this paper : Genomic Affinities of Two 7,000-Year-Old Iberian Hunter-Gatherers - link : http://www.cell.com/current-biology/...822(12)00650-1
    You have to go to the supplementary material to get the information on the Y chromosome. Only one of the 2 men was studied so far and it appears to be of haplogroup C (with little doubt) and possibly of V6 (SNP = V20) subgroup (high uncertainty). Haplogroup C6 defined by V20 is only european so far and very rare - less than 0.1% of the population.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

According to the Y-DNA C Project, confirmed or predicted cases of C-V20 come from Italy, Germany, Spain, Ireland, England, Scotland, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, and Greece.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

Wal (08-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Yes but, again, the C6 (V20) type in La brana (Spain) was only found once and it's only mentioned in the supplementary material, not a word in the paper itself. A situation indicating (in my view) that the author themselve want to be very cautious until the second skeleton is tested. meanwhile I noticed that the C haplogroup tree undoubtedly needs a full Y sequencing of each of the main branches before we can say more. C6 (V20) was found only in Europe so far but was it really checked in nearby areas ? I note that it was absent of the Sardinian extensive testing by Francalacci et al.

Registered Users

We still don't know what the Andronvo C is, so V20 might have been distributed outside of Europe at one point.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Diverclic View Post
    Yes but, again, the C6 (V20) type in La brana (Spain) was only found once and it's only mentioned in the supplementary material, not a word in the paper itself. A situation indicating (in my view) that the author themselve want to be very cautious until the second skeleton is tested. meanwhile I noticed that the C haplogroup tree undoubtedly needs a full Y sequencing of each of the main branches before we can say more. C6 (V20) was found only in Europe so far but was it really checked in nearby areas ? I note that it was absent of the Sardinian extensive testing by Francalacci et al.
    The authors seem certain it is C, but not that it is V20. They also could not exclude (old) C5.

Registered Users
    Sex

There is a second man in La brana (Spain), presently being tested. The 2 men have the same mitochondrial haplogroup, so they might be of the same family. Y DNA tests in course might help confirm the C type.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Haplogroup C1-P122 ,C5-M356 and C6-V20 are connected by Z1426 SNP as per the new isogg tree .Further C1 and C6 shares CTS11043 which separates it from C5 .
    http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpC.html .
    It is interesting as these are seperated by big distances C1 being japanese ,C6 european and C5 south asian .
    I would also expect C3 to have branched out earlier from C1'3'5'6 . Wonder where the C*s of south asia will be in the picture .

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    Haplogroup C1-P122 ,C5-M356 and C6-V20 are connected by Z1426 SNP as per the new isogg tree .Further C1 and C6 shares CTS11043 which separates it from C5 .
    http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpC.html .
    It is interesting as these are seperated by big distances C1 being japanese ,C6 european and C5 south asian .
    I would also expect C3 to have branched out earlier from C1'3'5'6 . Wonder where the C*s of south asia will be in the picture .
    I noticed this update on ISOGG but it seems surprising as I heard that CTS11043 is known to produce false positives and the testing in public database was limited by the number of cases available. Obviously a good paper on the C haplogroup tree is needed.
    At the time Francallacci et al. sequenced so many sardinian Y chromosomes and Fullgenomes is processing batch 6 or 7 (I don't know) I guess it should be that a problem to get a full sequence with high coverage of the Y chromosome of each subgroup C1 -> C6, with probably many surprises.

Sex

C-V222

Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    According to the Y-DNA C Project, confirmed or predicted cases of C-V20 come from Italy, Germany, Spain, Ireland, England, Scotland, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, and Greece.
    Hello All! I am new here, so greetings from the sunny Med. Also, I am really quite DNA illiterate still, so I will appreciate your patience.

Igmayka, I wonder if you can tell me how I can participate more actively in this C haplogroup enquiry. FTDNA has me down as C-V222, and as I have a Greek background on my father's side the prediction you mentioned about C-V20 appearing in Greece is confirmed I am naturally intrigued by this, not least of all by it's rarity. Would I be right in saying this looks to be something like the DNA of Europe's 'aborigines'?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaudrakon For This Useful Post:

DMXX (12-18-2014),  Mehrdad (09-01-2014),  palamede (09-02-2014),  parasar (11-20-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast