Northern Irish > Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z8 (U106)

United States of America Ireland European Union

R-L48 Subclades

Hi Guys,

I'm R-L48+, and wondering if it's worth the $ to purchase downstream subclade tests. My family ancestry is Border Scots / Northern English. Will being L47 vs. Z8 be able to tell me that much more about my ethnic origins?

Thanks,
    Matt

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    First of all, if you have done any testing at FTDNA, I would suggest you join the U106 Haplogroup Project https://www.familytreedna.com/public/U106/default.aspx

Secondly, if you are interested in learning more about the U106 project, I would encourage you to join our Yahoogroup forum. To join, send an email to:
    [email protected] stating why you would like to join this forum.

Finally, since you have already tested L48+ I would recommend you hold off on ordering a SNP pack test until the U106 Project develops their packs. If you can give my your FTDNA kit number, and join the U106 Project, I can look at your results and possibly help place you better.

The U106 Project has started analyzing the ages and the places where the various subclades have been found. L47 (and especially its Z159 clade) has been found in Eastern Europe at a much higher level than Z9 (and its subclade Z8), which are found at a much higher level in the low countries and England. This isn't to say that L47 is not found in England and Z8 is not found in Eastern Europe, only that their relatively highest frequencies are in different parts of Europe.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Eburgess (12-22-2015),  R. Walker (08-05-2015),  rghollenbeck (01-08-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern Irish > Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z8 (U106)

United States of America Ireland European Union
    Thanks for your response! I'll join the U106 Project and the Yahoo forum. My FTDNA kit number is N91511. Thanks for the geographic info on the subclades also.

Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L48
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1b1

Scotland United States of America

R

Matt,
    My family surname is McClain. I also tested R-L48. Thought we might be related in some way. My great grand father was born Frank McClain born in 1879 in Cincinnati Hamilton Co. Ohio. He was put up for adoption and was adopted by the Balch family when he was about 2 years of age. I have his birth certificate which lists his birth parents as James McClain and Susie "Alice" (Belton). Any information would be helpful. I've hit a wall at his parents.
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by MBW1986 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm R-L48q+, and wondering if it's worth the $ to purchase downstream subclade tests. My family ancestry is Border Scots / Northern English. Will being L47 vs. Z8 be able to tell me that much more about my ethnic origins?

Thanks,
    Matt

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z12
    mtDNA (M)
    I3b (FMS)

Quote Originally Posted by BalchWP View Post
    I also tested R-L48.
    Please see post #2 regarding joining the U106 Group.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by MBW1986 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm R-L48+, and wondering if it's worth the $ to purchase downstream subclade tests. My family ancestry is Border Scots / Northern English. Will being L47 vs. Z8 be able to tell me that much more about my ethnic origins?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Matt,

I have noted where you have taken the Big Y test and submitted your VCF/BED zip file for analysis.

First of all, THANK YOU! This is a real help to the whole community.

I note you fall under Z8 and the Z338 subclade of Z8. More specifically, your current clade level is BY13827. This is currently a VERY small clade with only two individuals (yourself and someone else who took the Big Y). We hope to have this clade included in the next version of the Z8 SNP Pack, as well as finding more folks who test positive for this clade.

One of the wonderful things about the Big Y test is that it is a test that keeps on giving. As more people take the test, more matches are discovered, and new clades are formed. BY13827 was created with your Big Y test, as you matched someone who had previously taken the test and was only assigned to FGC45154 (the parent clade of BY13827). You do not need to take a new test, your results will automatically (or at least semi-automatically) be moved to a new clade level if and when a new match comes in who shares a more recent common ancestor with you than your current BY13827 clademate.
    Last edited by Wing Genealogist; 08-03-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: correct a typo
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

AnonymousJD (03-26-2018)