Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think Jesus looked like?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrousMandaru View Post
    I think it's equally possible for Jesus to have been light or dark skinned. There's no reason to think either of these possibilities is less true than the other.
    Definitely the most sensible answer.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Andrewid (06-26-2020),  Awale (12-05-2015),  Humanist (08-10-2015),  Krefter (08-10-2015),  paulgill (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019),  ViktorL1 (08-10-2015),  ZephyrousMandaru (08-10-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-V2154
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a2a

Yes that is true. I believe that during this period, Babylon annexed Mari, Syria. The people in the first image were described as Akkadians. Although I don't know how credible the source is. You can see for yourself here. http://sumerianshakespeare.com/21101.html

With the final collapse of the Babylonian Empire, all memory of the Sumerians disappeared.
    Thank you. Yeah. Some of the information on that site is simply incorrect. The memory of the Sumerians in no way "disappeared" after the fall of the Babylonian Empire. It remained well alive for several centuries afterward during both the Achaemenid and Seleucid eras of Mesopotamia. It was only during the Common Era that the Sumerians were "forgotten."

EDIT:

Wikipedia

Akkadian gradually replaced Sumerian as a spoken language around 2000 BC (the exact dating being a matter of debate),[5] but Sumerian continued to be used as a sacred, ceremonial, literary and scientific language in Mesopotamia until the 1st century AD.[6][7]

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (08-10-2015),  Awale (12-05-2015),  khanabadoshi (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019),  ZephyrousMandaru (08-10-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-CTS1460
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1c4

Quote Originally Posted by Humanist View Post
    Thank you. Yeah. Some of the information on that site is simply incorrect. The memory of the Sumerians in no way "disappeared" after the fall of the Babylonian Empire. It remained well alive for several centuries afterward during both the Achaemenid and Seleucid eras of Mesopotamia. It was only during the Common Era that the Sumerians were "forgotten." Thanks in no small part to the rising dominance of the Abrahamic faiths and monotheism.
    Maybe they were referring to them disappearing in the sense that they were subsumed into the succeeding Mesopotamian Empires? But yeah, it doesn't seem likely that they disappeared at all. It very well could be that my paternal line might go back to a Pre-Sumerian peoples of the Uruk culture, which would be an honor for me. I would love to know that I'm connected to these arbiters of civilization.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZephyrousMandaru For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (08-10-2015),  Awale (12-05-2015),  Humanist (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-V2154
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a2a

I think it's equally possible for Jesus to have been light or dark skinned. There's no reason to think either of these possibilities is less true than the other.
    Yeah. As always, what we really need is aDNA from the region during the era of Jesus. With enough samples, and results for key pigmentation SNPs, we may be able take a more educated stab at what his complexion may have been.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Humanist For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (08-10-2015),  khanabadoshi (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019),  ZephyrousMandaru (08-10-2015)

Banned
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I believe Samaritans, Syrian Jews, and Egyptian Jews would be the closest to the ancient Israelites. The ones mentioned tend to be converts and/or Israelites mixed with converts.
    IMO Tunisian Jews are pretty close too. I have seen alot of Ancient Israelite-like faces among them as I am familiar with them. Also genetically they show strong affinities to Samaritans.

Look how Samaritans cluster with Tunisian Jews rather than modern Levantines :

Here are examples :

Miri Mesika (she is half Tunisian Jewish half Iraqi Jewish so probably alot of Ancient Israelite blood from both sides)

Ninet Tayeb (quite typical for Tunisian Jewish)

Eli Yishai (hardcore Israelite face , and this phenotype is certainly Jewish/Israelite as you can see it among Ashkenazis nowadays too)

As for Jesus Christ.............Well I also know a Tunisian Jew who would easily fit perfectly as Jesus . Jesus could possibly have looked like this IMO. He would have later one be more modelized for Roman standard , then Byzantino-Roman standards , then finally North European standards.

Last edited by Odyss; 08-10-2015 at 11:44 AM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Odyss For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (08-10-2015),  Coldmountains (08-10-2015),  Erik (08-10-2015),  khanabadoshi (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019),  ViktorL1 (08-10-2015),  ZephyrousMandaru (08-10-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    ^^ Really interesting! I would never intuitively think to consider a Jewish population in North Africa as "older" than the ones closer by.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

paulgill (08-22-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravetti For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    I think he would've looked pretty similar to Samaritans and Syrian Jews, I find quite amusing the fact that Jesus is often depicted with long hair as Judaism strictly prohibited that kind of haircut (it would've been considered outrageous during the first centuries CE, that's for sure). So unless you were a Nazirite, no long hair for you.

Also Odyss, funny you brought up Eli Yishai, you're quite right about his phenotype being common among Ashkenazi Jews, my own brother looks a bit like him for instance. Israel Finkelstein looks kind of similar to him as well.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 08-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

Awale (08-10-2015),  Coldmountains (08-10-2015),  Erik (08-10-2015),  NK19191 (08-11-2015),  Odyss (08-10-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019),  ZephyrousMandaru (08-10-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA (M)
    M52A

I think the phenotypes of people has changed considerably in the last few centuries and differentiated us more than it used to in the past (when really it was your clothing that defined your group). Even if Jesus was a person resembling an authentic Middle-Eastern non-converted non-diasporic Jew, there is still such a large range of phenotypes he could have. Men back then had long beards, Gandalf-robes, turbans, out in the desert sun all day, etc. An Iraqi-American group that lives in frigid Chicago is going to look markedly different from the same genetic group 2000 years ago in their ancestral homeland. The men in Chicago will probably be clean-shaven or some stylized facial hair, shave their body hairs, wear shirts/pants and look way more Euro-shifted than their ancestors.

I made this realization not many years ago. About two years ago, I spent a good amount of time in a Hasidic area in Brooklyn and noticed how simply just with 1 item making them similar looking, these men could easily switch their black hats for a black turban and easily look like Taliban in Afghanistan, or a colorful turban and easily look like a Punjabi Sikh in Amritsar LOL. I have also been living in areas that are heavily Amish and have noticed that if an Amish is non-blond/ginger, there really is nothing stopping him from passing in South-Central Asia either. Same thing happens in South Asia as well. A clean-shaven Punjabi Hindu or Muslim looks way more ASI-shifted than a bearded Punjabi Sikh even with similar complexions and facial features. Sometimes if I trim my mustache but not my beard, I can look Middle-Eastern-ish even though I have no ancestry from that part of the world post-Neolithic farmers.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redifflal For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (08-10-2015),  Awale (12-05-2015),  Erik (08-10-2015),  pegasus (08-22-2015),  Power77 (03-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

http://theshroudofturin.blogspot.se/...shroud-of.html

Finally, there are other Biblical passages which show that long hair, per se, was not a problem to God.

Indeed, in Numbers 6:1-5 God Himself instructed Moses that, if "a man or a woman makes a ... vow of a Nazirite," then amongst other things, "no razor shall touch his [or her] head" for the duration of the vow:

"6 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to the Lord, 3 he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink. He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried. 4 All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins. 5 `All the days of his vow of separation, no razor shall touch his head. Until the time is completed for which he separates himself to the Lord, he shall be holy. He shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long.'"

http://www.jesusevidence.org/shroud.html

Dr. Pierluigi Baima Bollone, 76, a surgeon, who was a teacher of Forensic Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine and Law at the University of Turin for more than forty years analysed samples taken from the cloth with adhesive tape. He reported that the blood on the shroud is type AB.

http://www.christiantimes.com/articl...urin/52342.htm

The "angelic" face of a 12-year-old Jesus has been recreated using the image taken from the Shroud of Turin to commemorate the two-month exhibition of the cloth believed to be Jesus Christ's burial cloth.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast