Thread: After Big Y and YDNA111 questions

Sex

After Big Y and YDNA111 questions

Hi there.

My family is very interested in history and since we are from Norway we would like to know more precisely which window of time our ancestor arrived here and who were our tribes people all the way from 4500 years ago, 2000 years ago and latest 1000 years.
    For a while back my results came in and as an amateur on this field there are a lot of questions which I was hoping to get a little help sorting out.

The results came in as a sub group of R1b CTS4466 South Irish II named R-BY139.

When did our ancestor depart form Ireland.
    Is it certain that our ancestor have been in Ireland or could we have been located in Norway the last 1500-2000 years.
    May we have been vikings.
    Many Irish has clans, are we eligible to join a clan or take a name.
    Are we related to the Irish travelers.
    And finally are we really at home at the Dubliner?

The analysis shows that you are positive for the following SNPs:
    Z290+ YSC0000294+ YSC0000288+ YSC0000279+ YSC0000251+
    YSC0000233+ YSC0000232+ YSC0000230+ YSC0000227+ YSC0000225+ YSC0000224+ YSC0000219+
    YSC0000072+ YSC0000067+ V9+ V241+ V205+ V189+ V186+ PF970+ PF2643+ PF192+ P316+ P312+ P311+
    P310+ P297+ P295+ P294+ P286+ P285+ P284+ P283+ P282+ P281+ P280+ P245+ P244+ P243+ P242+ P240+

Thx alot for any effort of sorting this out and if more info is necessary Ill gladly provide.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    R-BY139 has TMRCA of about 708 years using Adamov's method and Big Y mutation rate. R-A151 is approximately 1051 years using the same. I've not completed the rest of A541 and CTS4466...

A151 is pushing the limits of surname adoption, and we've yet to identify a strong case for an origin. The Eóganachta tribes appear to be S1121, but may be A541. A195/A761 seems to be the Uí Fidgenti. There are exceptions and inconsistencies indicating lineages have been broken.

The recent large batch of SNP Packs has yet to turn up any additional BY139's. Until we see more it's too uncertain to offer speculation on origins beyond some Irish men wound up in Scandinavia about 1000 years before present.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

dp (08-11-2015),  Dubhthach (08-11-2015)

Sex

Thank you.
    Can the BY139 be labeled as Scandinavian since it mainly pops up there?
    I was wondering if you know how to go forward with finding out if were related to Irish travelers. If so we have a organisation in Norway who can pay the expenses of a family trip to Ireland.
    Last edited by espheim; 08-11-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    The Dubliner? Perhaps not but a pub named after Limerick, Cork or Waterford perhaps (all 4 cities were founded by the Norse in Munster)

With regards to these SNP's it's still early days, obviously as more men test for them either via BigY or stuff like CTS4466 bundle in FTDNA, than we'll get a bigger picture. I do find it interesting that there are two O'Connell's who appear to share A151/A152 with you (as it's parent of BY139 and of their branch)

http://ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=337&star=false

On first glance I'd imagine the O'Connell's are of the Kerry family: (Woulfe 1923)
    Ó CONAILL—I—O Conaill, O'Connell, Connell; 'descendant of Conall, ' (high-powerful, an ancient personal name Welsh Cynvall, British Cunovalos, Celtic Kunovalos); the name of at least three distinct families in Ireland
    (3) Ó Conaill of Kerry, who were anciently chiefs of Magh O gCoinchin, in the east of that county, until dispossessed by the O'Donoghues about the middle of the 11th century. From the time of the Anglo-Norman invasion down to the 17th century, the O'Connells were followers of MacCarthy More and hereditary castellans of Ballycarbery, near Caherciveen. Maurice O'Connell, the head of the family in Cromwell's time, was transplanted to Brentir, near Lisdoonvarna, in Co. Clare. Several of this family became distinguished in the Irish Brigades in the service of France, among whom may be mentioned Count Daniel O'Connell, uncle of the Liberator, Daniel O'Connell, by whom this surname has been made for ever illustrious. O'Connell is now one of the most numerous of Irish surnames. O'Heerin writes the name of the Kerry family Ó Conghaile, but Ó Conaill is the form now universally in use in Munster.
    To follow up with what James said, ye probably looking at Viking era period in Ireland for a connection, so from early 9th through to 11th century -- by later stage the Norse had been Gaelicised in Ireland so when the Norman's arrived in the 1170's the "Ostmen" (as they called themselves) were generally gaelicised, obviously the Cambro-Norman's kicked them out of walled town's but generally settled outside. So for example in Dublin they resettled on northside of Liffey in area known as "Oxmantown" (name survives today in number of street names etc.)
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Dubhthach View Post
    The Dubliner? Perhaps not but a pub named after Limerick, Cork or Waterford perhaps (all 4 cities were founded by the Norse in Munster)

With regards to these SNP's it's still early days, obviously as more men test for them either via BigY or stuff like CTS4466 bundle in FTDNA, than we'll get a bigger picture. I do find it interesting that there are two O'Connell's who appear to share A151/A152 with you (as it's parent of BY139 and of their branch)

http://ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=337&star=false

On first glance I'd imagine the O'Connell's are of the Kerry family: (Woulfe 1923)

To follow up with what James said, ye probably looking at Viking era period in Ireland for a connection, so from early 9th through to 11th century -- by later stage the Norse had been Gaelicised in Ireland so when the Norman's arrived in the 1170's the "Ostmen" (as they called themselves) were generally gaelicised, obviously the Cambro-Norman's kicked them out of walled town's but generally settled outside. So for example in Dublin they resettled on northside of Liffey in area known as "Oxmantown" (name survives today in number of street names etc.)

Thx, for the reply. It's a late repose, sorry for the delay. It is not always easy to find time for this.

So it seems like we share common ancestors with the O'Connell's, but this must be a long time ago, more than 1100 years I assume?

The branch BY-139 is found in Ireland, Norway and US, it is a quite big family in Norway.
    Is it possible that some of the Irish pagans/druids had to escape Ireland due to the christianity around 500 AD? I found an article which tells about remains after boat building in the south of Ireland that shows that they for 2500 BD made a similar type of longboat as the vikings later used. Since the northerners didn't learn how to sail until around 700 AD, isn't it more likely that Irish sailors went to Norway first and somehow learned them how to set sail and told them about the riches on the Isles integrated and created a new culture?

I remember reading long time ago that the vikings settled down in Ireland alongside with Irish settlements in the south east and that this was generally peaceful. Is this simply a myth? Were the vikings selling slaves in Ireland or mainly gathering them from there or was it was more of a shopping center for trading slaves that was gathered elsewhere?