R-Z255
    mtDNA (P)
    HV9a1

United States of America
    Mother's results are in:

Screenshot_20210409-203819~2.png

LivingDNA & FTDNA comparison:

Screenshot_20210315-232832~2.pngScreenshot_20210115-224642~2.png

My father's results should be in next week.
    Ich verstehe nicht.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Telfermagne For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (04-11-2021),  Garimund (04-10-2021),  Mr.G (04-11-2021),  Riverman (04-10-2021),  Stefanie (04-10-2021),  Táltos (04-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    NEDlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT49882
    mtDNA (M)
    H3ap
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z255
    mtDNA (P)
    HV9a1

United States of America
    Father's results came in early:

Screenshot_20210411-151147~2.png

LivingDNA and FTDNA for comparison:
    Screenshot_20210315-232901~2.pngScreenshot_20210115-224718~2.png

My results have also been updated:
    Screenshot_20210411-154715~2.pngScreenshot_20210411-154836~2.png
    Last edited by Telfermagne; 04-11-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    Ich verstehe nicht.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Telfermagne For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (04-11-2021),  Garimund (04-11-2021),  Mr.G (04-11-2021),  Riverman (04-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Family results.
    Mom on the left, me in the middle, dad's on right.
    https://imgur.com/a/5LwBFzR
    It's pretty cool to see what was passed down to me.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (04-12-2021),  laulei (04-13-2021),  Telfermagne (04-12-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swahili
    Nationality
    Kenyan

Kenya
    On the 23andMe forums a guy mentioned that his AC results have updated this month. Lets hope 23andMe doesn't mess up with this upcoming update...
    Last edited by SWAHILLI_PRINCE16; 04-15-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    Gedrosia K12 Vahaduo

Target: Me
    Distance: 0.5466% / 0.54658687

55.3 Esan
    24.4 Masai
    11.9 Yoruba
    3.2 Balochi
    1.8 Makrani
    1.5 Nihali
    1.1 Ethiopian_Jew
    0.7 Somali
    0.1 Kusunda

Wegene

94.44% African
    59.21% Yoruba
    16.29% Somali
    13.90% BantuSA
    5.03% Mbuti
    0.01% Others

5.50% South Asian
    5.50% Indian

Others 0.06%

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 For This Useful Post:

Aben Aboo (04-16-2021),  JFWinstone (04-18-2021),  Varun R (04-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Good example. Its really segment based. Let's just assume segment X appears both in German and French, or Italian and West Asian, its the same segment, how do you assign it? Smoothing just means they use the safe spots, like a neighbouring, clearly European segment as the indicator. So the essentially neutral segments becomes what the clear neighbour is. If the neighbour changes, the neutral segments assignments does so too.
    There is no difference, they can't tell where it was coming from for sure, its present in both populations. The only other choice would be "undeclared" or giving it just one side, which could irritate members of the other group. So its an elegant solution, but with the predictable outcome in mixed individuals of changing from parents to children.
    Another explanation that I read about discrepancies in phasing was that the child's result (phased) is actually more accurate than the parent's (unphased).

As an example, let's say a parent has 5% French and German assigned, but apparently gave 8% to the child according to the phasing, well really the parent had more F & G than indicated, but it was hidden or smoothed and therefore "lost" in their result. They would need to be phased with a parent themselves, to correct this.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

cvolt (04-18-2021),  CyrylBojarski (04-15-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Another explanation that I read about discrepancies in phasing was that the child's result (phased) is actually more accurate than the parent's (unphased).

As an example, let's say a parent has 5% French and German assigned, but apparently gave 8% to the child according to the phasing, well really the parent had more F & G than indicated, but it was hidden or smoothed and therefore "lost" in their result. They would need to be phased with a parent themselves, to correct this.
    Child's results should be more accurate, but it could be other way round? I do not know if anyone remembers my and my parent results, but I would say in my case results before phasing were more similar to true, than current. Some of my Greek and Balkan segments, that are of Southern European origins were changed into Eastern European majority, some changed completely West Asian and some changed to half West Asian and half Eastern European. I understand, that my parent results just have can this West Asian influence already included in Balkan category, but then my 5% from great grandparent were joined to majority ancestry
    11% Southern European + 1% West Asian turned to 3% Southern European + 3% West Asian + 2% Broadly European + 4% Eastern European

I think my parent results are more realible, because they just accurately separated 75% from other different 25%

In my opinion their phasing algorithm does not work, like it should

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (04-16-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

United States of America United States Gadsden England Ireland Scotland Wales
    I'm not a big fan of how they combine British and Irish. Ancestry is more specific. I think that they have a separate classification for Wales now. I don't understand why 23andme is still so general in 2021.
    Last edited by Anglo-Celtic; 04-16-2021 at 06:06 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    I'm not a big fan of how they combine British and Irish. Ancestry is more specific. I think that they have a separate classification for Wales now. I don't understand why 23andme is still so general in 2021.
    "Specific" doesn't really matter much when a company like Ancestry is simply specific and wrong. But if you want to talk about being general, Ancestry can't seem to separate England from Northwestern Europe. I'm more German than British, and more Scottish than English -- but Ancestry can't see to recognize that.

This is based on my known ancestry back to the colonial era, ancestors that Ancestry's own "ThruLines" supports my being descended from. Of course, Ancestry never tested any of those ancestors, just folks from present day populations that they handpicked according to how well they "fit" with others in whatever categories Ancestry set up. They also rejected anyone who fit other criteria (such as location of their ancestors' births) but didn't "fit" with others in the category.

But even with being able to determine who they wanted in each category, you'll notice that Ancestry still can't figure out how to get rid of that overlap between "England" and "Northwestern Europe".
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (04-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

United States of America United States Gadsden England Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    "Specific" doesn't really matter much when a company like Ancestry is simply specific and wrong. But if you want to talk about being general, Ancestry can't seem to separate England from Northwestern Europe. I'm more German than British, and more Scottish than English -- but Ancestry can't see to recognize that.

This is based on my known ancestry back to the colonial era, ancestors that Ancestry's own "ThruLines" supports my being descended from. Of course, Ancestry never tested any of those ancestors, just folks from present day populations that they handpicked according to how well they "fit" with others in whatever categories Ancestry set up. They also rejected anyone who fit other criteria (such as location of their ancestors' births) but didn't "fit" with others in the category.

But even with being able to determine who they wanted in each category, you'll notice that Ancestry still can't figure out how to get rid of that overlap between "England" and "Northwestern Europe".
    There *is* overlap, and that makes it difficult to determine and separate specific groups. It has more to do with shared genetics than shared nationalities. One can tell the "Anglo-Saxon" English from the "Gaelic" Irish. It's not so easy to tell the former from the Danish, the Northern Dutch, the Northern Germans, etc.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anglo-Celtic For This Useful Post:

Aiden (04-20-2021),  Riverman (04-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    There *is* overlap, and that makes it difficult to determine and separate specific groups. It has more to do with shared genetics than shared nationalities. One can tell the "Anglo-Saxon" English from the "Gaelic" Irish. It's not so easy to tell the former from the Danish, the Northern Dutch, the Northern Germans, etc.
    The problem comes from people wanting exact estimates, yet populations which are not more differentiated from each other than within, can't be properly separated. Just make the following experiment: First core Germanics moved down South of what is today Northern Germany before Christ's birth. So these Germanics, like the Marcomanni moved South centuries before the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Normans entered Britain. Even if they wouldn't have mixed themselves with locals, which they did, they had about 600 years of additional separate history to modern Danes, Dutch and North Western Germans with the English. The final separation of the Anglo-Saxon English from their siblings on the continent is just less than about 1.400 years old and that's not even the full truth, because there were continental contacts after that, most notable the Norman conquest.
    In the end some German tribes were more separated from each other as from pure Anglo-Saxon English, simply by looking at the timing of the branching event. So you always just have the choice of giving a tester potentially too much German or too much English relative to the other component, because its, to a high degree, the same thing. The less Anglo-Saxon and Norman an English is, the easier his or her British ancestry should be identifiable. Its definitely much easier to separate Germanic from Celtic, than separating German from English, yet even that has its own implications, because a similar Celtic heritage might have been present on both sides of the channel as well. This makes even the Celtic component not absolutely unique for Britain, even though its more differentiated, simply by looking at its branching timings and separate evolution.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (04-19-2021),  boilermeschew827 (04-18-2021),  MatAust21 (04-19-2021),  peloponnesian (04-18-2021)

Page 144 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145 LastLast