Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bosnian Serb
    Y-DNA
    U152>Z36>A7981*
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

Quote Originally Posted by PoxVoldius View Post
    They've got me at 18% East European, but can't locate any of mine, either, even though most of it should be Czechia. Before the dots went away, they'd identified some of it as Poland, which was certainly possible, but they've since removed Poland from my results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    So it's not just me, that's good. I used to have a dot for Ukraine before it got removed.
    I also used to have dots for East Europe (my percentage is 7.7%), for Poland, Hungary, Russia and Ukraine. Gone for me just before the update.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to branimir For This Useful Post:

PoxVoldius (12-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I2

I used to have 5 dots for Ukraine and Poland, 3 for Hungary and Russia, 2 for Slovakia, 1 for Lithuania

It got updated to only Ukraine and Poland

And now is third update I notice says Poland highly likely match, Ukraine likely match, Russia likely match

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykhailo For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (12-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ruthenian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    n/a

Belarus Russian Federation Russia Imperial Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykhailo View Post
    I used to have 5 dots for Ukraine and Poland, 3 for Hungary and Russia, 2 for Slovakia, 1 for Lithuania

It got updated to only Ukraine and Poland

And now is third update I notice says Poland highly likely match, Ukraine likely match, Russia likely match
    What are your Eastern European and Balkan percentages?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leto For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (12-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Irish/English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Wales Romani Star of David
    Mildly relevant to the current subject: Despite having no Eastern European DNA showing up (and only 3.9% French and German which appears to be mostly Germanic), several of my matches are Eastern European, particularly from Poland, Czechia and Hungary, and include a few of all four parents being Eastern European.

Is this due to a common Germanic ancestor? I would have suggested that this is due to Romani presence in these countries, but none of us appear to score any South Asian or MENA even at 50% confidence (which is very strange given that DNA Land gives me 2.8% Indus Valley with my 23andme data, and I score higher SA on GEDmatch using this data than I do with Ancestry- I also get more Jewish oracle matches including Ashkenazi despite Jtest giving me zero Ashkenazi with the data!).
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.”- Frank Zappa

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-Z9
    mtDNA
    H3

United States of America Japan England Scotland Germany
    I was finally able to phase with a biological parent and my results updated this morning. It definitely dropped the Broadly categories, which fell from 15.4% to just 4.8%, while my British/Irish, Japanese and French/German all went up.

Question though: would there be any benefit to testing the other parent? I know 23andMe says you get "slightly better" results but also that most of the phasing benefit comes from the first parent linked. Would it be worth it or would the improvement be marginal at best and not worth the cost (I'd be doing it for myself primarily. My mom doesn't care about any of this stuff haha)

results.png
    Last edited by jshook; 01-11-2019 at 06:15 PM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jshook For This Useful Post:

fostert (01-13-2019),  JonikW (01-12-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-11-2019),  PoxVoldius (01-11-2019),  Ruderico (01-11-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by jshook View Post
    I was finally able to phase with a biological parent and my results updated this morning. It definitely dropped the Broadly categories, which fell from 15.4% to just 4.8%, while my British/Irish, Japanese and French/German all went up.

Question though: would there be any benefit to testing the other parent? I know 23andMe says you get "slightly better" results but also that most of the phasing benefit comes from the first parent linked. Would it be worth it or would the improvement be marginal at best and not worth the cost (I'd be doing it for myself primarily. My mom doesn't care about any of this stuff haha)

results.png
    If you can manage it, I'd certainly recommend it. 23andMe is probably right that most of the benefit comes from the first parent, but there can still be some ambiguities that may be cleared up when the second parent is linked.

What do I mean? Well, to give a very simplified example, suppose that in a certain segment you have this sequence of SNPs: AT GG CG CT AA TT. Meanwhile, your linked parent has AT GT CG CT AC CT. For the 2nd, 5th, and 6th of these pairs there is no ambiguity. Your linked parent had to pass on to you G, A, and T respectively. But, what about the 1st, 2rd, and 4th pairs? In each case, you might have inherited either SNP from your linked parent. Because you're both heterozygous here, you can't tell.

Now, testing your 2nd parent won't necessarily clear up every ambiguity -- there can be SNPs where all three of you are heterozygous -- but it will clear up many of them. Enough so that they aren't likely to matter much.

By the way, for people who can't test both parents (or possibly even just one), testing siblings can help. Unfortunately, 23andMe doesn't do the more intensive work of comparing multiple siblings -- which potentially can be just as useful as comparing parent and child. (I have five brothers and sisters and a tested father, so most ambiguities can be resolved. But believe it or not, there are still a few which can't be -- where all seven of us are heterozygous. I think it's pretty likely that in most of these cases, so was our mother.)
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

fostert (01-13-2019),  JonikW (01-12-2019),  jshook (01-12-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-11-2019),  Ruderico (01-12-2019)

Sex
    Nationality
    American.

Netherlands Ireland Scotland Germany Croatia
    I just got my results the other day...

Speculative

British and Irish: 42%.
    French and German: 28%.
    Eastern European: 4.5%.
    Scandinavian: 1.5%.
    Balkan: 0.5%.
    Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.4%.
    Broadly Northwestern European: 17.6%.
    Broadly European: 3.99%.
    Broadly Southern European: 0.3%.
    Broadly South Asian: 0.2%.
    Broadly East Asian and Native American: 0.1%.

Standard

British and Irish: 34.9%.
    French and German: 13%.
    Eastern European: 3.3%.
    Scandinavian: 1.3%.
    Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.2%.
    Balkan: 0.1%.
    Broadly Northwestern European: 31.7%.
    Broadly European: 14.1%.
    Broadly Southern European: 0.2%.
    Broadly South Asian: 0.2%.
    Unassigned: 0.9%.

Conservative

British and Irish: 9%.
    Eastern European: 1.6%.
    French and German: 0.5%.
    Broadly Northwestern European: 44.2%.
    Broadly European: 40.1%.
    Broadly South Asian: 0.1%
    Unassigned: 4.5%

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crlv For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-13-2019),  jshook (01-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    If you can manage it, I'd certainly recommend it. 23andMe is probably right that most of the benefit comes from the first parent, but there can still be some ambiguities that may be cleared up when the second parent is linked.
    I'll let everyone know soon here - for Black Friday I bought myself two Xmas gifts - two 23andme kits, one for my mum and one for my dad! They have both been mailed and am awaiting results. Mum's should come in first, and I will compare my before (V4) and after phasing with her. Dad's should come in a wee bit later (he mailed his later) and I will post an update from my mum-phase results to my both-parents results!

Stay tuned...
    Mum = 50% Irish, 25% Ukrainian, 25% Romanian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

Bulut (01-24-2019),  JFWinstone (01-13-2019),  JonikW (01-13-2019),  jshook (01-14-2019),  Mr.G (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    I had some minor excitement last night when it occurred to me that I could use Google Chrome's "Inspect" tool on the 23andMe chromosome painting to determine what ethnicity percentages had been assigned to each chromosome (as opposed to just eyeballing the proportions in the picture, trying to remember things between category toggles & hoping that I wasn't mixing up too-similar shades of blue, etc). Though, because of the way the webpage is coded, the numbers in the source code have to have some math done on them to get the ethnicity percentages. And some of the ethnicity labels in the source code are old and don't match the current labels (ex: "broadly_north_european" --> "Broadly Northwestern European").

Here's how mine comes out in 50% speculative mode:

Chr 1
    British & Irish, 48.1
    East Euro, 39.8
    Broadly NW Euro, 10.3
    Broadly Euro, 1.9

Chr 2
    French & German, 42.4
    British & Irish, 25.0
    Broadly NW Euro, 23.7
    Broadly S Euro, 5.9
    Broadly Euro, 3.1

Chr 3
    British & Irish, 35.9
    East Euro, 29.9
    Broadly NW Euro, 19.2
    Broadly Euro, 13.9
    Broadly Sub-Saharan African, 1.1

Chr 4
    British & Irish, 42.1
    East Euro, 27.9
    Broadly NW Euro, 9.9
    Broadly Euro, 8.4
    Broadly S Euro, 6.1
    Iberian, 5.7

Chr 5
    French & German, 43.2
    Broadly NW Euro, 19.3
    British & Irish, 16.3
    Nigerian, 7.5
    Broadly S Euro, 4.5
    Broadly Euro, 2.5
    Broadly West African, 2.1
    Congolese, 1.7
    Broadly Congolese & SE Africa, 1.6
    Unassigned, 1.0
    Broadly East Asian & Native American, 0.3

Chr 6
    East Euro, 46.6
    Broadly NW Euro, 25.4
    French & German, 24.7
    Broadly Euro, 3.4

Chr 7
    British & Irish, 50.0
    Broadly NW Euro, 28.0
    French & German, 22.0

Chr 8
    French & German, 94.9
    Broadly Euro, 4.5
    Broadly NW Euro, 0.6

Chr 9
    Broadly NW Euro, 59.6
    British & Irish, 26.2
    French & German, 14.2

Chr 10
    Broadly NW Euro, 36.2
    Scandinavian, 31.3
    Broadly Euro, 18.6
    East Euro, 13.9

Chr 11
    British & Irish, 47.2
    East Euro, 36.3
    Broadly NW Euro, 13.3
    Broadly Euro, 2.9
    Unassigned, 0.3

Chr 12
    East Euro, 50.0
    French & German, 46.5
    Broadly Euro, 2.7
    Broadly NW Euro, 0.8

Chr 13
    Broadly NW Euro, 45.0
    Broadly Euro, 37.6
    British & Irish, 16.4
    Broadly East Asian & Native American, 1.0

Chr 14
    French & German, 47.5
    Broadly Euro, 39.1
    East Euro, 10.9
    Broadly NW Euro, 2.5

Chr 15
    French & German, 86.9
    Broadly NW Euro, 13.2

Chr 16
    French & German, 50.0
    Broadly NW Euro, 32.2
    East Euro, 17.8

Chr 17
    East Euro, 50.0
    French & German, 29.0
    Broadly NW Euro, 11.9
    Broadly Euro, 9.1

Chr 18
    Broadly S Euro, 70.0
    Broadly Euro, 17.5
    Broadly NW Euro, 12.5

Chr 19
    French & German, 50.0
    Broadly NW Euro, 31.8
    East Euro, 12.8
    Broadly Euro, 5.4

Chr 20
    Scandinavian, 50.0
    British & Irish, 42.6
    Broadly NW Euro, 7.4

Chr 21
    Broadly Euro, 51.6
    Broadly NW Euro, 45.6
    Broadly S Euro, 2.9

Chr 22
    East Euro, 83.6
    Broadly Euro, 16.4

X Chr
    Broadly NW Euro, 98.2
    Broadly Euro, 1.0
    Broadly S Euro, 0.9

(numbers that don't quite add up to perfect 100s are due to rounding)
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

fostert (01-13-2019),  sktibo (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by PoxVoldius View Post
    I had some minor excitement last night when it occurred to me that I could use Google Chrome's "Inspect" tool on the 23andMe chromosome painting to determine what ethnicity percentages had been assigned to each chromosome (as opposed to just eyeballing the proportions in the picture, trying to remember things between category toggles & hoping that I wasn't mixing up too-similar shades of blue, etc).
    Easier and more universal than using the "Inspect" tool is to click on "Scientific Details and then to click the blue "Download Raw Data" button near the bottom of the scientific details page. This generates as CSV file of ancestry by chromosome, including start and end points.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to neanderling For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-13-2019)

Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast