Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    I think it's more likely your sample was used in the population sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    Yes I came to that conclusion after the reply on this thread from AJL. If it is any consolation to anyone, the lineages of my four grandparents do trace back to Britain as far as I can go. Admittedly that is not all that far on most lines - 18th-19th century. The surnames so far uncovered are all British except for one Norman, which is likely to be pretty standard. I have no known Welsh lines, which could be a problem for some, if others in the population sample are also short on Welsh.
    If you hover over the line for British and Irish, and click on the i for information symbol, you find that the sample included 843 23andMe customers and 89 public. So I think I can stop worrying that my particular ancestry (specifically lack of Welsh) might have biased the sample. There should be some Welsh in that lot.
    Last edited by Jean M; 12-14-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21 (DF21, L720)
    mtDNA
    J2b1a2

England Scotland Germany Palatinate France-Ile-de-France
    Sorry for the re-post. Coming back from a hiatus I always get it wrong on which thread to post, somehow.

Aha. Well. My results:

Conservative Estimate:
    98.9% European
    .2% British and Irish
    55.4% Nonspecific Northern European
    .1% Iberian
    <.1% Southern European
    43.2% Nonspecific European
    1.1% Unassigned

Standard Estimate:
    100% European
    9.6% British and Irish
    72.8% Nonspecific Northern European
    .2%Iberian
    <.1% Nonspecific Southern European
    17.4% Nonspecific European

Speculative Estimate:
    100% European
    37.4% British and Irish
    18.8% French and German
    1.6% Scandinavian
    36.8% Nonspecific Northern European
    .3% Iberian
    .8% Nonspecific Southern European
    4.3% Nonspecific European

It would appear that my genes have "left the Old-World building" and therefore are largely nonspecific. Still, it beats the heck out of the Genographic Project's attempt at such things. It is interesting that the continental elements are almost equally split by my mother's and my father's sides, when I would have expected my mom's German roots to be more pronounced than my father's Huguenots. The Scandinavian is on my mother's side (no surprise--New Sweden bits and bobs), as is the Iberian (a tiny, remote mystery).
    Last edited by History-of-Things; 12-14-2012 at 04:42 AM.
    architectural historian/material culture historian
    specialty: East/West interaction 17th to 19th centuries

3. The Following User Says Thank You to History-of-Things For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (01-10-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    If you hover over the line for British and Irish, and click on the i for information symbol, you find that the sample included 843 23andMe customers and 89 public. So I think I can stop worrying that my particular ancestry (specifically lack of Welsh) might have biased the sample. There should be some Welsh in that lot.
    Yes, I think what's more likely is (1) what History-of-Things alludes to, that some of my mother's Nonspecific Northern European matches are only to colonials, so they represent a part of the gene pool that was once British or Irish but is now more common in the US and elsewhere abroad than in the mother countries themselves and therefore not easily traced; and (2) other of my mother's Nonspecific Northern European regions represent rather inbred regional sub-populations that are simply not covered sufficiently in the present sampling for her to find matches.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Jean M (12-14-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U5a2b3

England United Kingdom Scotland Ireland Wales
    It looks like the new tool can identify British and Irish easily enough. My result is similar to Clinton's - just a fraction higher B & I (99.9% on speculative, 99.8% standard.)
    I'm actually a little surprised at your 99.9% Bit/Irish score on speculative. I would have thought that you might register at least some Scandinavian and French/German with your ancestral connection to the Danelaw county of Lincolnshire. The Danelaw area dominates my ancestry and I get on speculative [rounding off figures] 75% Brit/Irish, 2% Scandinavian, 5% French/ German and 18% non-assigned Northern Euro. Maybe my score reflects a lot of Norman surnames, some Huguenot and a dash of more recent Norwegian in the 18% non-assigned NE?

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    @ Yorkie

Since the Danelaw ran over a big chunk of England, the genetic input from Denmark (both from Danish Vikings and Angles before them) should be a common part of the British gene pool. So would we expect it to show up as "foreign" after all these centuries of blending into the English mix?

I have 23andMe cousin matches to a few Scandinavians, but no Scandinavian input showing in the Ancestry Composition Results. That may mean that the cousin matches are the result of a relative of mine going to Norway or Sweden within the last few generations.
    Last edited by Jean M; 12-15-2012 at 12:03 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

DMXX (12-15-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U5a2b3

England United Kingdom Scotland Ireland Wales
    @ Yorkie

Since the Danelaw ran over a big chunk of England, the genetic input from Denmark (both from Danish Vikings and Angles before them) should be a common part of the British gene pool. So would we expect it to show up as "foreign" after all these centuries of blending into the English mix?

I have 23andMe cousin matches to a few Scandinavians, but no Scandinavian input showing in the Ancestry Composition Results. That may mean that the cousin matches are the result of a relative of mine going to Norway or Sweden within the last few generations.
    No, I certainly don't see 'Viking' dna as 'foreign' but rather, as you say, a 'common part of the British gene-pool'. I should have been more clear. What I mean is that, since the Danelaw is one of the areas of Britain where Scandinavians made a relatively high genetic impact, I would expect you to have 'a bit extra', so to speak, and thus get a percentage of the 'Scandinavian' as I do.

Indefinite Hiatus
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    So would we expect it to show up as "foreign" after all these centuries of blending into the English mix?
    From my perspective, 23andMe's unspecific sampling within countries has blurred much of the variation that would exist.

I was very surprised to see I came up as completely Middle-Eastern despite several of the Kurds I'm currently sharing with had European and East Asian segments. I use those Kurds as a comparison because, in those whose Dodecad, Harappa or Eurogenes results I'm aware of, they tend to score more Middle-Eastern-related ADMIXTURE components (e.g. West and/or Southwest Asian) and less European or East Asian than myself.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq
    I don't like this program at all, because 19.4% i get nothing. The program needs improvement in my opinion. As well I don't have much Berber or North African ancestry, and it made it into 10%. It's either the Arabian component is similar to the North African, because it can't jump it seems like this. The Caucasian-Anatolian all went to the Middle East. They need to improve it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alanson For This Useful Post:

FaerieQueene (06-25-2014)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    No, I certainly don't see 'Viking' dna as 'foreign' but rather, as you say, a 'common part of the British gene-pool'. I should have been more clear. What I mean is that, since the Danelaw is one of the areas of Britain where Scandinavians made a relatively high genetic impact, I would expect you to have 'a bit extra', so to speak, and thus get a percentage of the 'Scandinavian' as I do.
    Not sure about that Yorkie. The people behind the People of the British Isles project keep saying that it is easy to identify Norwegian Viking ancestry (as in Orkney), but impossible to distinguish between Danish Vikings and Angles. The majority of Vikings within the Danelaw were Danes. As ever with the Vikings, one can't say more than "majority", because Viking war-bands recruited widely. Burials found in Castle Mall, Norwich, included four who stood out as Viking in the DNA analysis, with links to Orkney, Norway and the Western Isles.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    R1b U106 Z326 Z81
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a

A couple results: 3% Scandinavian:

acresultsscandinavian.png

Jewish blocks:

ashkenazisplitviewblock.png

Splitview:

acsplitviewspeculativer.png

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warwick For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (11-05-2016),  Scarlet Ibis (01-10-2013)

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast