Italian-American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-M70
    mtDNA (M)
    H-5

Post Tony needs help.

Recent DNA test thru FTDNA revealed my Y-DNA is T-M70. Origin test revealed that 40% originated in Asia Minor. My paternal grandparents immigrated from Aquavella, Province of Salerno, Campania, Italy in 1885. I presume their ancestors were Saracens. My paternal great-grandmother's name was Cammarota. There is a town nearby on the Cilento coast and a town in Sicily that bears that name. I'm trying to develop knowledge and understanding, in light of this recent revelation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Anthony E. Murray; 08-21-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony E. Murray For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (08-22-2015),  MikeWhalen (08-21-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony E. Murray View Post
    Recent DNA test thru FTDNA revealed my Y-DNA is T-M70. Origin test revealed that 40% originated in Asia Minor. My paternal grandparents immigrated from Aquavella, Province of Salerno, Campania, Italy in 1885. I presume their ancestors were Saracens. My paternal great-grandmother's name was Cammarota. There is a town nearby on the Cilento coast and a town in Sicily that bears that name. I'm trying to develop knowledge and understanding, in light of this recent revelation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eupedia.com
    source
    The higher than average frequencies of haplogroup T in places like Cyprus, Sicily, Tunisia, Ibiza, Andalusia and the northern tip of Morocco suggest that haplogroup T could also have been dispersed around the Mediterranean by the Phoenicians (1200-800 BCE), and that ancient Phoenicia seemingly had a higher incidence of T than Lebanon does today (5%).
    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyTreeDNA haplogroup K2 project
    project link
    This project welcomes anyone who has been predicted or SNP-tested as Y-Haplogroup T.
    Haplogroup T (known as Haplogroup K2 until May 2008) is defined by SNP M184 and is found at low frequencies in the Middle East, Europe and North Africa. Most lines in T belong to subgroup T1a defined by SNP M70 which until March 2011 was considered equivalent to M184.
    T1a in turn splits into T1a1 (T-L162), T1a2 (T-L131) and T1a3 (T-L1255).
    T1a1 clusters along an east-west axis from Iran to Spain. T1a2 is found both in northern Europe and southern Africa but is rarer in the eastern and western edges of T's distribution zone. To date, T1a3 has only been found in Kuwait.

Recent developments including the Geno 2.0 chip have identified the following major subgroups of T1a:

T-L208 (T1a1a* on the current ISOGG tree http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpT.html)
    T-Z709 (T1a1a1*)
    T-P77 (T1a1a1a)
    T-P322 (T1a2a)
    T-L446 (T1a2b)
    Most lineages in T will belong to one of these 5 branches. The first two are strictly speaking paragroups and may split into several branches when more data is available.
    Maybe not Saracens. -dp
    Last edited by dp; 08-21-2015 at 08:23 PM.
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

palamede (08-22-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony E. Murray View Post
    Cammarota is from Campania ( naples is capital ) or Basicilcata

Cammarota un cognome specifico dell'Italia meridionale, probabilmente originario della Campania e Basilicata, dove diffusissimo, Cammaroti, praticamente unico, probabilmente dovuto ad un'errata trascrizione del precedente, Cammaroto specifico di Messina e del messinese, si dovrebbe trattare di cognomi derivanti da alterazioni dialettali del nome del paese di Camerota nel salernitano, o di Cammarata nel cosentino e nell'agrigentino.
    integrazioni fornite da Giovanni Vezzelli
    Cammarota cognome siciliano (anche Cammaroto) che viene dal greco 'kammarōtos' = fatto a volta, ma anche 'fiero'. Possibile anche una derivazione dal toponimo Camerata (SA). Rohlfs 60.

an o ending to your surname indicates sicilian area

currently in Italy there are 833 Cammorota surnames of which 690 are in south Italy, but only 4 in sicily

Cammoroto is only 130 in italy in number and 101 of these are in sicily
    Last edited by vettor; 08-21-2015 at 11:59 PM.

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-Y33791 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

dp (08-25-2015),  palamede (08-22-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian-American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-M70
    mtDNA (M)
    H-5

Thank you for your response. I just sent an email to Gareth Henson asking to join the T-group.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony E. Murray For This Useful Post:

dp (08-25-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian-American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-M70
    mtDNA (M)
    H-5

Thank you for your response. Can you provide any additional insight into the Saracen settlement of the Cilento Coast? More historical insight, if available, would be appreciated. Should I consider additional SNP testing?