Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 23andme's "German Problem."

i know this is a thread about 23 and me missing German heritage in their ethnicity results but I have the opposite problem. My ancestry is overwhelmingly British isles and yet 23 and me gives me a whopping 20% French and german when it should be in the 5-10% range going by paper trail. I get the same thing on a lot of the gedmatch calculators as well which seem to want to tell me I’m german or Dutch instead of clustering me with English samples. It’s frustrating for us Americans when it comes to these DNA results but maybe since living DNA puts east anglia as my number one category I just have a lot of Anglo Saxon ancestry.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- Z19945
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a1

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Australia Eureka
    I am the opposite, 23andme gives me between 12 and 20% german, french....which is only tyrolese, austrian and swiss.....i have no french

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Baltic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    My F&G is at 23% plus change. I’ve got a full French grandma and full German grandma. They both have about 44% F&G. My French grandma was born in north-central France, the rest of her results are like 25% B&I plus 10% Spanish and Portuguese. My German grandma has 14% Scandinavian plus like 10% B&I. Seems low for both, but after reviewing the heat maps on Eupedia they start to make a little sense.

My French grandma, mom and myself do not have France as a RAL, I suspect lack of DNA matches to cluster this in our case. I think I only have 19 shared matches with my grandma, including my mom and first cousin.

Ancestry is as clear as mud to me. I have 32% Germanic Europe, 12% England, 2% France. I don’t know what is buried where there.
    Maternal grandfather: born in Leningrad Oblast, Russia
    Maternal grandmother: born in Centre-Val de Loire, France - earliest documented ancestor (1770) Indre, France
    Paternal grandmother: born in the US - earliest documented ancestors (c. 1800) Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Lower Saxony
    Paternal grandfather: born in the US - paternal grandparents born in Danzig (c. 1854), maternal grandparents born in Kolding, Denmark

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    U5A2C
    mtDNA (P)
    U3A1

Denmark Ireland United States Grand Union England
    The Alemanni?

My paternal uncle just got his 23andMe Ancestry Composition report. His "French & German" regions report was much more specific than mine (yay!). Mine just said Switzerland but his said the Canton of Bern (Switzerland) and Baden-Württemberg (Germany). I'm curious if anyone with results including the Canton of Bern (or any other northern cantons in Switzerland) also has Baden-Württemberg (Germany). I am speculating these genetic profiles are remnants of the Alemanni (?).
    Last edited by Bog Body; 08-26-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-P312
    mtDNA (M)
    X2B

United Kingdom United States of America Scotland Norway Cornwall Wales
    That's funny because I get assigned WAY too much german/french, especially after the beta update. All of my parents/grandparents lineages are mostly all from the British isles, I only have like 3 ancestors on my family tree that originate from Germany, and I have a 3x great grandfather from southern France born in 1850. I get a whopping 35% german and french which is ridiculous. I should also mention that almost all of my ancestors from the British Isles are from lowland Scotland and not from southern/eastern England so there is very little Anglo Saxon influence. I actually deleted my 23andme account last week because they're so terrible, Ancestrydna all the way.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011