Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H6a1b2 - What's the Skinny?

Sex

My paternal grandmother's mitochondrial DNA shows H6a1b2. Her family came to North America (Canada, then Michigan, then Chicago) from Tipperary, Ireland I believe in the 1840s.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elsamary For This Useful Post:

Saetro (10-04-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex

I'm H6a1b2d - traced back to Staffordshire, England around 1750. Some of my mitochondrial matches on FTDNA believe their mito ancestors may have come from Armagh, Ireland or Wales- they aren't sure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne Tydeselent For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (04-24-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z36, 7268704
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2

Scotland
    My mitochondrial DNA is a subclade of H6a1b2. The furthest I can trace back my maternal ancestors is to Airdrie in central Scotland in 1820. Genbank lists about 50 H6a1b2 samples out of about 30,000 so it's not a very common group. Samples come from Denmark, France, Ireland, Sweden, United Kingdom, Spain, Finland,.. so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly from where H6a1b2 originated in Europe.
    Last edited by Shetlander; 11-20-2016 at 07:51 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shetlander For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (04-24-2019),  TheKelly5 (06-01-2018)

I am late to the discussion but wanted to chime in. My maternal haplogroup is h6a1b2. The earliest Female in this line was born in Blackburn, England in 1882.

I have been trying to trace her ancestry with no luck... I suppose a Mito test is the next step.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheKelly5 For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (04-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2*
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland
    I might as well add to the discussion as well. The earliest female ancestor that shares my mtDNA is Anne McDermott born about 1814 in Co. Roscommon, Ireland.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (04-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    After 25 years of mostly fruitless research, due to some recent triangulations between several 23andMe matches who have Hilburn in their surname lists and a Civil War widow's pension application, I may have cracked the origin of the mysterious and illusive Malinda Hilburn. Her parents are perhaps William Hilburn (b. 1802) and his wife Jane "Jenny" Perry, who married in Barren County, Kentucky in 1822 but later moved to Indiana & Illinois before Jane Perry Hilburn's death around 1842. William Perry shows up on the 1850 census with a new blended family with only his youngest son Stephen living in the household. What became of the other children is anyone's guess. Since several family member are found in later decades in Boone County, Missouri, I went looking for an Oregon pioneer family originally from there. I found a man named Smith Bledsoe who migrated in 1852 and settled near Forest Grove, Oregon near Malinda's future husband's brother. The Boone County Bledsoes and the Hilburns intermarried. I have no proof but my current working theory is that our Malinda perhaps moved west with them.

I also found a reference that states the Hilburns were Irish. Malinda would have gotten her mitochondrial DNA from Jane Perry. Perhaps the European stem of this lineage originates in the Emerald Isle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

palamede (04-25-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by TheKelly5 View Post
    I am late to the discussion but wanted to chime in. My maternal haplogroup is h6a1b2. The earliest Female in this line was born in Blackburn, England in 1882.

I have been trying to trace her ancestry with no luck... I suppose a Mito test is the next step.
    You will have more success with autosomal DNA and use Ancestry because of their larger sample size. 1882 is pretty recent to have a brick wall. You have to put together your tree and tie it up to you dna results to help your cousins to recognise you.
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-27-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12