Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do ancient Parthians, Medians, Scythians, Kushans, Hephtalites?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Question What do ancient Parthians, Medians, Scythians, Kushans, Hephtalites?

I always wonder this. What do ancient Parthians, Scythians, Kushans, Hephtalites look like? I mean who would be the closest modern day groups that look like them in terms of phenotypes? Also what group do you think are the modern day descendants of these ancient groups?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsakhur For This Useful Post:

paulgill (09-15-2015), sunny (10-13-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I think the Parthians, Medians would look closest in terms of phenotype to modern day Azeris, Persians, Kurds and other groups in Northern and Western Iran while the Yaghnobis, Pamiris, Nuristanis, Hunza, Dardics, Pashtuns might look closest and be modern day descendants of Scythians, Kushans and Hephtalites.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tsakhur For This Useful Post:

DMXX (09-15-2015), MonkeyDLuffy (12-15-2015), NK19191 (12-14-2015), paulgill (09-15-2015), sunny (10-13-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA
    H28 (UA)

Quote Originally Posted by Khuur View Post
    I think the Parthians, Medians would look closest in terms of phenotype to modern day Azeris, Persians, Kurds and other groups in Northern and Western Iran while the Yaghnobis, Pamiris, Nuristanis, Hunza, Dardics, Pashtuns might look closest and be modern day descendants of Scythians, Kushans and Hephtalites.
    Scythians looked more europid but probably with a "southern touch" and the Saka in Siberia were Siberian shifted. Scythians and northern Saka of Siberia resembled some more europid looking Uralics and East Europeans. But later some of them were really siberian looking. Scythians near the Caucasus looked similar to modern Caucasians. Southern Saka, Kushan and Hephthalites are an other story and we don't know exactly how they looked like because no mummies were found of them. Southern Saka of Tajikistan were according to some anthropological studies similar to modern Tajiks and Pashtuns (Pamirid, Irano-Afghan). Hephtalites and Kushan were likely similar to southern Saka but with some Siberian influences I think. The coins of Hephthalite rulers clearly show a look similar to modern East Iranian populations so it is likely that they not really differed from modern East Iranians of Afghanistan and Tajikistan. The modern Iranian population which looks closest to Scythians/Saka are Pamiri Tajiks in my opinion and after them other Tajiks and Pashtuns.

Direct descendants of Scythians/Saka are either some Tatars/Central Asian Turks, who have East Iranian ancestors assimilated by Turks, Tajiks and maybe Pashtuns but we need more ancient DNA and especially Y-DNA to know who are today direct descendants of them. Kushan and Hepthalite are certainly the ancestors of many Tajiks and Pashtuns in my opinion but of which exactly is very hard to say because of the lack of any ancient Y-DNA and autosomal DNA
    Last edited by Coldmountains; 09-15-2015 at 08:38 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

DMXX (09-15-2015), NK19191 (12-14-2015), sunny (10-13-2015)

Scynthians=Some Iranians, Eastern Europeans, Turks.

Hepthalites= Kalash?
    Last edited by sunny; 10-13-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA
    H28 (UA)

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post

Scynthians=Some Iranians, Eastern Europeans, Turks.

Hepthalites= Kalash?
    Kalash are not directly related to Hepthalites. They spent most of their time outside of the major civilizations in Central and South Asia . Hepthalites are just some East Iranians having a siberian/proto-altaic touch. We don't now where there exactly originated but it seems for me that they were from Badakhshan . They unlikely were very different from modern Central Asian Iranics and probably the same like modern Tajiks of the same region.
    Last edited by Coldmountains; 10-13-2015 at 08:39 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldmountains For This Useful Post:

NK19191 (12-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    Kalash are not directly related to Hepthalites. They spent most of their time outside of the major civilizations in Central and South Asia. Hepthalites are just some East Iranians having a siberian/proto-altaic touch.

Yeah, I don't think so either but I saw that youtube video and thought possibly someone else might have some ideas (hence ?).

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA
    U4b1a2 - FGS

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuur View Post
    I always wonder this. What do ancient Parthians, Scythians, Kushans, Hephtalites look like? I mean who would be the closest modern day groups that look like them in terms of phenotypes? Also what group do you think are the modern day descendants of these ancient groups?
    Should be somewhere between a north European and the Kalash group. Based on DNA from anything between Yamnaya and Andronovo, we know this must have been the case.
    YDNA: R1b-Z220 (A7066+) (1800's Stepney, London(Bethnal Green), UK George Wood b. 1782
    maternal-grandfather YDNA: prob. I1 Gurr, George 1843, Feversham, Kent, England.
    maternal-grandmother YDNA: ? Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggrandfather YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton mdka Ireland(?) < 1800s

Registered Users

Based on how they depicted themselves Parthians and Medes would look like present day Iranic speaking Near Easterners ( Iranians, Kurds) as Khur mentioned.
    Kushans, Eastern Scythians, Hepthalites would resemble Pamiri/Badakshan Tajiks and some Pashtun tribes.

This painting from 1800 years ago, shows Kushans

He looks like any other Afghan Pashtun or Tajik today. You will also notice he is wearing a Pakol hat like most Afghans do today.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (10-16-2015), MonkeyDLuffy (12-15-2015), Tsakhur (10-19-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Tamil

Chola Empire India India Maratha Empire North Korea Kazakhstan Dravida Nadu
    They definatley did not look like kurds, they probably looked most similar to tajiks, nuristanis or parmiris, because they are remnants of central asian populations befor turciks expansion and mongol invasions

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tamilgangster For This Useful Post:

pegasus (10-17-2015), Tsakhur (10-19-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z93
    mtDNA
    H28 (UA)

Bump.
    Last edited by Coldmountains; 10-16-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast