Thread: Some new L513 reading

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Some new L513 reading

Hi All,

I just acquired copies of two of the titles in the New Edinburgh History series on a recent trip to Scotland: Caledonia to Pictland by James Fraser, and Pictland to Alba by Alex Woolf. Both well worth a read for our period and locations.

In particular the sections in Woolf on the Gall Gaidheal I found very interesting. These people have always fascinated me. Traditionally you'll read that they were Norse-Gael, but a lot of this is being re-assessed. In actual fact, it only means that they were Gaelic speaking, with some 'non Gael' element, whether cultural or social or ethnic. It is now accepted that they dominated much of south-west Scotland (not just modern Galloway), but Ayrshire, a lot of Renfrewshire and Clydesdale from the 900's onwards, and were the main agents who brought the Gaelic language into Ayrshire/the western border area, which is to this day the dominant place-name language of the region. It is suggested they may have conquered the Strathclyde Britons, accounting for that groups' sudden disappearance around that time.

Given this intriguing research, and the fact that according to Scotland's DNA, 5% of Hebridean men are L513 (I'd love to see a SNP breakdown of that some day), I can't help thinking of some of our groups - especially L193, with its presence in the western isles and Argyll, but main concentration down in Ayrshire and Galloway...could this be the traces of the mysterious Gall-Gaidheal?

I know I'm speculating, but this stuff is the cutting edge of recent thinking, and seemed to chime in with so much of the pattern of our group. I'd love to hear some thoughts.

In the meantime, I eagerly await my results for the L513 SNP package test

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Mag Uidhir 6 (09-27-2015)