Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LeJeune Family - Acadian? U6a7a1a -- HELP.

LeJeune Family - Acadian? U6a7a1a -- HELP.

Hello,

I am looking for some help to figure this out. Excuse if my English is off as despite the ease in which I use it, it isn't my first language.

My mother's mother's side is easy enough - it is more than 1000 years old, predating the Norman Invasion. That's been proven not only because we have a Lordship title predating the Normans but the fact that almost every one of our distant forefathers were upper class society even still. I mean 1400s, a merchant rich enough to own not one or two but five separate properties speaks for itself. Her father's side is likewise older and by assoication makes me 3rd cousin to royalty anyways.

My father's father's side is easy enough in that sense - likewise higher society including kingdomship of a Nordic country. Finding relatives is harder because he belongs to a unique haplogroup, but then again the modern relatives we have found are all inventors, doctors., etc. so finding more common relation in mainstream society is not a pressing issue.

Now the above is all proven by paper trail and DNA. I put more merit to paper trail than I will ever to DNA because as some goof was trying to do on another site anyone can claim anything by DNA - the goof herself was trying to say she was related to every important figure in the world past & present because she didn't comprehend her haplogroup could have come from the family servantboy whom would have had the same haplogroup 9/10 times as the actual king & queen she was trying to claim relation to.

The only problem is my father's mother's side. The records aren't nearly as detailed further back but we get at least ten generations recorded clearly.

However, her haplogroup is U6a7a1a

U6a7a1a which appears to be rather rare [less than 0.1% in Geno 2.0 share it]. On my background research I found it ties with the Lejeunes & Acadians mostly. That sort of throws me because his mother is not Canadian, she is British - her mother is German, her grandmother is a Belgian-French and further back Swiss-French, and so forth. Her family is mostly European with an only recent move to the UK though as her father's family is more UK. The haplogroup is mtDNA so it is not as if she got some alien DNA from a Canadian forefather.

Reading on the Lejuene's they were Metis ? or a claim was they were Metis? ... if by off chance there is Canadian in the genepool somewhere.. if that was the case I would think I'd have at least a tiny fragment of Indian/Aboriginal DNA in me... which I do not as per gedmatch & 23&me however accurate they are.

I see indication that the LeJeunes came to Canada around the 1800s?

Is there a possibility - given the French Rebellion - that the "LeJeuene" haplogroup was made extinct in France or close enough that it is pretty much non-existent? It seems very odd that U6a7a1a is Canadian/Acadian/North American only.

I know there's a few haplogroups that have popped up and seem to the North American only but to have a haplogroup "founded" by a single family unit seems to me that at one point there was more [in France].

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    Acadians have some Basque ancestry. That's where haplogroup U could come from.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    U5a... is found in Brittany, and elsewhere in France. That's no problem. What I'm wondering about is my U5b...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    U5a... is found in Brittany, and elsewhere in France. That's no problem. What I'm wondering about is my U5b...
    Oh, U6....! I misread your post (my blurry eyesight). I'm sorry.

Sex
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    I M253
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Basque Galicia Norway France Bretagne Scotland Normandie
    My late father's mtdna hapolgroup was U6a7a1a and his Ydna was I M253. He was a descendant of Catherine LeJeune. She and her sister were living in Canada in the 1600s. The LeJeune sisters weren't Metis.

Registered Users
    Sex

Is there any reason your father's mother's mtDNA could not have come from the same place in France as the Acadian foremothers came from? There's been relatively little DNA testing in France compared to Acadians in the USA and Canada, and Acadians were very prolific. This link says the haplogroup U6a7a1a dates back 500 years, so it seems to me that if you went to whatever village in France that these sisters came from and started testing wildly, you might find someone who matched.

Of course, a back-migration is certainly possible too. It would not be unheard of for an anglophone to have a French-Canadian wife and go back to Britain. Any Native American DNA could be long washed out, if it was there to begin with.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...ian/about/news

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European, Native American
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA (M)
    U3a1c

United States of America Canada Acadia Ireland England France
    I too am a descendant of the LeJeune sisters but not maternally.
    To say Acadians were prolific is a bit of an understatement lol
    Sorry, I chuckled a bit when I read that lol.
    but yes, I agree with loisrp.

I too descend from Lejeunes, (I believe Edmée is the grandmother of perhaps unknown origin, or her daughter you mean) and some other early acadian families, and as pointed out along with Basque visitors, etc. Acadians were also British (and Protestant!) as Normans.

Believe that Haplogroups also transcend these times way before the Common Era, we won’t share them among surnames. I think these were also vastly spread across the globe via the Roman Empire and why U6 found in Britain. An ancestor so far back won’t be present in your admixture, other than in y and mtdna farther back. Dna matches come generally from your four grandparents and theirs within those generations.

Also referring to an ancestor from the 17th century New France as a Métis I believe is an anachronism. Despite what people write about these ancestors of unknown origins, they likely lived on the colonial side of the color barrier, a much different experience. The families established in the early settlements by intermarriage are not briefly métis if biracial or culturally mixed for a few early settler generations. In our history indigenous people shared survival and cultural influences (at their expense) remarkably with colonials, but represent a separate heritage and community experience.

Also regarding royalty, the further back we go, the more all humans living today are related. Everyone with any European descent has been mathematically proven as a relative of Charlemagne by population size. Though the paper trails of our acadian families may remarkably go back to William the Conqueror and from the marriages of Angevin kings back further to Frankish royals, science proves that anyone with any European % admixture likely descends from some royal, and all at least from Charlemagne circa the 600s, so European ancestry runs the social gamut.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

If my hunch that my official maternal grandfather was not the biological father of my mother is correct, then the occasional autosomal match to French Canadians and Cajuns of Louisiana make sense. My Mother's name was Genevieve, for which reason I never got an answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast