Thread: L0 mtDNA haplogroup project

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

L0 mtDNA haplogroup project

We have just started a mtDNA L0 haplogroup project with the goal of learning more about the L0 tree and its distribution in Africa. Over the next few days I'll be posting more information from research studies of L0. If you know anyone who is in L0, please encourage them to join the project. We hope to be able to link people in specific L0 subclades to regions within Africa and the Middle East.

Here is the project webpage:
    www.familytreedna.com/public/L0/

And here are instructions for joining the project:

1. Log into your FTDNA account, and select “PROJECTS” and then "JOIN".

2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and under "mt HAPLOGROUP PROJECTS" click on "L(4)". You will see a list of L mtDNA projects.

3. You can click on “L0 mtDNA” to join the L0 project, and then click the orange “JOIN” button. If you have already upgraded to the FMS (Mega) mtDNA please also share your Coding Region results.

4. To share your coding region results with the project administrators, click on "My Account" and select "Results Display Settings". Check the circle “Yes” for "Show my mtDNA Coding Region Mutations to Administrators of these Projects" for the L0 project, and click on “Save” at the bottom of the page.

Thanks,
    Gail

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Ezana (12-28-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ethiopian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1c2
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

United States of America Ethiopia
    I'm sharing with two L0 on 23andme (one of whom might be willing to join, she's the wife of a forum member). I could suggest to him that he get his wife to join (if it doesn't require having been genotyped by FTDNA but by any service). What's the general aim of these projects? Comparing mutations to try to create a phylogenetic tree?

Let me know if you start an L3 project.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Hi Ezana - the goal for mtDNA L0 project is to see if we can identify additional structure in the L0 tree and also identify geographic locations of specific subclades in Africa and the Middle East. This could be useful for African Americans who test as L0 and are looking to identify possible areas of origin. We have a pretty good data base of FMS L0 samples from several research studies, including a couple of Behar et al papers that already include some FTDNA customers.

The L0 project is at FTDNA, so the 23andme testers cannot join directly, unless they can transfer their results, but I'm using a spreadsheet to track all L0 results, so I can include them in my spreadsheet and email them with any specific finding.

thanks,
    Gail

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Y30355
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    Was looking at my "green" gedmatch matches today and came across what seemed to be a Russian/Ukrainian? guy with mtDNA L0:

He likely has some Jewish ancestry, but no known African ancestry that I can tell from his Autosomal DNA or his DNA matches...Anyone know if L0 is common in Slavic speaking countries? Could it be a Jewish mtDNA line?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    Was looking at my "green" gedmatch matches today and came across what seemed to be a Russian/Ukrainian? guy with mtDNA L0:

He likely has some Jewish ancestry, but no known African ancestry that I can tell from his Autosomal DNA or his DNA matches...Anyone know if L0 is common in Slavic speaking countries? Could it be a Jewish mtDNA line?

L0 is found in the Middle East, so Jewish mtDNA is possible, and there are also specific subclades of L0 that appear to have exited Africa many thousands of years ago. They would need to test the full mtDNA sequence to see if they are in one of these L0 subclades or perhaps in a subclade with a more recent exit from Africa.