Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEDmatch and our Raw Data

GEDmatch and our Raw Data

Something rather odd and interesting has happened in my kit account over at GEDmatch. Someone seems to have obtained my v3 23andMe Raw Data, and posted it over at GEDmatch. So now I have an identical twin. I have reported to GEDmatch as I personally consider it unethical to post some other person's Raw Data to any site without permission or at least the person concerned knowing of it rather than logging into GEDmatch and finding a "twin".

I suppose that is the downside of these Open-source sites, people using your Raw Data without permission and without your knowledge. I should have expected something like this as I use Open-source sites but I always considered my results to be utterly boring except to me.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mbantua For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-24-2015),  BMG (10-24-2015),  Helgenes50 (10-24-2015),  Lenny Nero (10-24-2015),  paulgill (10-24-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    The question is: how could someone download your raw datas from 23andMe without your permission?
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

paulgill (10-24-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scythian Massagetae
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-ZS3668>>FGC41588
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a+[3 Extras]

Canada Germany Sikh Empire Sweden Russian Federation India
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    The question is: how could someone download your raw datas from 23andMe without your permission?
    The answer is by hacking.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgill View Post
    The answer is by hacking.
    Correct. Someone would have gained access to the server all our files are stored on. As we know, they aren't readily available to download publicly from GEDmatch.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

paulgill (10-24-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by jtoml4 View Post
    Correct. Someone would have gained access to the server all our files are stored on. As we know, they aren't readily available to download publicly from GEDmatch.
    Scarry. What could be the benefits for the hacker? In any case I hope that Mbuanta has informed 23andMe. The problem is with them, not with gedmatch.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Mbantua View Post
    Something rather odd and interesting has happened in my kit account over at GEDmatch. Someone seems to have obtained my v3 23andMe Raw Data, and posted it over at GEDmatch. So now I have an identical twin. I have reported to GEDmatch as I personally consider it unethical to post some other person's Raw Data to any site without permission or at least the person concerned knowing of it rather than logging into GEDmatch and finding a "twin".

I suppose that is the downside of these Open-source sites, people using your Raw Data without permission and without your knowledge. I should have expected something like this as I use Open-source sites but I always considered my results to be utterly boring except to me.
    Are you sure you have not shared the raw file with anyone, as if 23andme experienced a hack I am fairly certain it would affect more then just one person and it would likely be mentioned by 23andme or any of their co-operated companies, such as security companies who are usually very open about hacks..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-24-2015),  Scarlet Ibis (10-24-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celt/German/Iberian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a2b1

Germany Imperial United Kingdom Norway Spain
    Do you remember emailing your data to anyone? Does anyone in your family have access to your data and may have emailed it to someone?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krefter For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-24-2015),  BMG (10-24-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scythian Massagetae
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-ZS3668>>FGC41588
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a+[3 Extras]

Canada Germany Sikh Empire Sweden Russian Federation India
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Scarry. What could be the benefits for the hacker? In any case I hope that Mbuanta has informed 23andMe. The problem is with them, not with gedmatch.
    Same as the Weasel, it will kill what it can catch even when its belly is full. The Psychopathic mentality.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulgill For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-24-2015),  BalkanKiwi (10-24-2015)

I doubt anybody hacked into 23andMe and took my Raw Data. I do not use my real names over there, I am totally anonymous in as far as my nickname and I use invented first and second names as my real names. I am autistic, I like to burn my tracks and make myself invisible. The problem probably is my usage of OpenSNP, you can download anyone's Raw Data from there if you are a member. 23andMe have >1 Meg customers, any hacker would be looking for needles in a haystack to find me.

As I said, I contacted GEDmatch by email and sent the "twin" a Please Explain email. I do not think the twin would reply. But seriously, my results are dead boring. I have SNPs that say I should be bald, I am not. I have SNPs saying I am lactose intolerant, I drink milk same quantity as my wife, no problema. You cannot tell a whole lot from my data. How tall was La Brana? Were his eyes really blue considering his dark skin SNP results, maybe green or hazel but blue, I doubt it. Was La Brana a homosexual, was he a leader or a root rat (Aussie slang)?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mbantua For This Useful Post:

BMG (10-24-2015),  paulgill (10-24-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30a1c
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M357
    mtDNA (P)
    J1b1a1

I too don't think anybody hacked 23andme . If you are member of projects like Open SNP these can happen and you can't complain because you know this could while joining it . But again I wonder why would anybody waste their time to do it .
    Some people have shared their 23andme and ftdna autosomal data with me which I use for my own little research but would never share with any third party . It is their prerogative and I shouldn't interfere with that .

Though I don't find it scary since it wouldn't be of any real use to anyone to harm me in anyway I would be annoyed since it would be a breach of my privacy .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast