Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    K2

United States of America England Scotland Northern Ireland France Germany Imperial

Anglo- Virginian's AncestryDNA results

These would be my DNA results for AncestryDNA. I assume that this particular company goes for slightly deeper ancestry than 23andMe.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anglo- Virginian For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (10-26-2015),  Erik (10-26-2015),  I1-Z63 (10-29-2015),  Scarlet Ibis (10-26-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo- Virginian View Post
    These would be my DNA results for AncestryDNA. I assume that this particular company goes for slightly deeper ancestry than 23andMe.
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable of test methodologies can correct me, but I was under the impression that 23andMe claimed a roughly 500 year range vs. FTDNA up to 1,000 year range. Your British score on this test would probably look more compatible with 23andMe if you added the Great Britain and Ireland categories. However, it is still a fair amount lower, so possibly your Colonial American heritage is fairly admixed between the earlier British Isles and western continental populations such that the algorithms at the different tests pick up different signals.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

Anglo- Virginian (10-26-2015),  I1-Z63 (10-29-2015),  paulgill (10-26-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    K2

United States of America England Scotland Northern Ireland France Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable of test methodologies can correct me, but I was under the impression that 23andMe claimed a roughly 500 year range vs. FTDNA up to 1,000 year range. Your British score on this test would probably look more compatible with 23andMe if you added the Great Britain and Ireland categories. However, it is still a fair amount lower, so possibly your Colonial American heritage is fairly admixed between the earlier British Isles and western continental populations such that the algorithms at the different tests pick up different signals.
    I tend to agree, actually. I'm also rather of the opinion that there was some considerable western continental admixture among my British ancestors, although I don't have any documentation. To my knowledge, as well as my English ans Scottish/Scots- Irish blood, I have 1/8 French Cajun origins and 1/16 German American who mixed with my largely English and partly Scots/ Scots- Irish ancestors in this country. I may theoretically have Scandinavian ancestry as well, although there is no documentation of that, either.
    Last edited by Anglo- Virginian; 10-26-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo- Virginian View Post
    I may theoretically have Scandinavian ancestry as well, although there is no documentation of that, either.
    Vikings?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

Anglo- Virginian (10-29-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    K2

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Vikings?
    Or settlers from New Sweden that found their way to Maryland. My grandmother, Elna Thorne, went by her mother's family name until she married my granddad. Her father might have been a proper Swede, who knows?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anglo- Virginian For This Useful Post:

Awale (10-26-2015),  Erik (10-26-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I have a thread going between Delaware and Baltimore, MD. It is many generations ago on my maternal branch. Swedish and Dutch connecting to basic Anglo back there in different threads. I'd have to check my Ancestry tree to sort it out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Anglo- Virginian (10-26-2015)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Vikings?
    Everyone with roots from UK has some Scandinavian ancestry to a varying degree. Silly comment.
    YDNA: R1b-BY50830 Stepney, London, UK George Wood b. 1782 English <-> Bavarian cluster
    m gf YDNA: ?? Gurr, James ~1740, Smarden, Kent, England.
    m gm YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    m ggf YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-Z17901. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    p ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton Ireland(?) 1800s

other:
    Turner: R-U152
    Welch: early 1800s E-M84 Kent, England.