Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu

Y-DNA C-M216

My second cousin( from my maternal side, not the paternal Qashqai side) just got his Y-DNA results, it seems like he belongs to Y-DNA C-M216. His paternal family claims turkic ancestry, according to them they settled in the Iranian-Turkish border region then moved to the south centuries later.

From wiki:
    Haplogroup C-M216, Among Mongol and Turkic peoples it's found among the: Jalairs, Tatars, Kazakhs, Crimean Tatars, Merkits, Jochids and Uzbeks.
    Here is a map of C-M216 (probably be a bit outdated but useful nonetheless)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jesus For This Useful Post:

NK19191 (10-31-2015),  Ridhdho (06-19-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (10-31-2015),  Táltos (10-30-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Through which company did he test ? . C-M216 is basal and should be tested for subclade before making sure he is C- M216*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BMG For This Useful Post:

Ridhdho (06-19-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    Through which company did he test ? . C-M216 is basal and should be tested for subclade before making sure he is C- M216*
    FTDNA. He did the Y-DNA 111 test.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    Then he should take downstream.SNP tests . They are not good at guessing non European subclades .

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Here is a map of C-M216 (probably be a bit outdated but useful nonetheless)

Heh. That's from my The Lineages of Asia series, published over 6 years ago. Interesting to see it's been uploaded to Wikipedia Commons.

It remains broadly correct (C-M216 peaks in various East-Central Asian populations, including the Kazakh, as well as Hazara, hence the secondary peak in Quetta, Pakistan).

Of course, more datasets have been published since then, so it certainly is not an accurate representation of our current data. If I were to opine regarding the biggest inaccuracies of that chart, it'd probably be the interesting Y-DNA C subclades found in the Indian Subcontinent, as well as the Nogay of the Caucasus.

As the sole author, I'd broadly consider the entire TLoA series to be largely vestigial at this point in terms of valid inferences. I'd recommend people interested in Y-DNA subclade distributions to either refer to haplogroup-specific studies/projects (e.g. R1a1a Subclades Project @ FTDNA), or look up more recent region-specific studies/projects (e.g. Yunusbayev et al. 2011 for the Caucasus).

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Has he joined the Haplogroup C Project? Its administrators should be able to provide more guidance.