Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a Gypsy? Would you like to know?

Registered Users
    Sex

Italy Sicily Greece Canada
    I think some people forget that we're all humans and share a relatively very similar DNA profile to one another. Having SSA admixture often means that calculator can't differentiate the indifferent meaning we carry nearly the same DNA that can't be told apart even by very scientific methods, because these are minuscule differences. We share 90% of the same dna with other mammals, from that point of view every human homo sapiens (including Neanderthals and even Homo Erectus) are closely the same species with not much difference to add on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to giorgio For This Useful Post:

Kane_Valentine_Walker (06-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Slovakia Poland Romani United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    people lie, DNA doesn't...
    DNA doesn't lie, but how it's interpreted, by whom, and for what reasons is what's at play here.
    DNA isn't labelled; each analyzer has a different method of estimating ethnicity...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JosephK For This Useful Post:

therrien.joel (06-14-2018)

Registered Users

This is a good example of where your whatever the hell calculator fails. She matches me on both my maternal and paternal sides. And our shared cousins are people I know.
    Last edited by Vashti; 06-13-2018 at 03:08 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vashti For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (06-13-2018), therrien.joel (06-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Mar Ionio
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashti View Post
    This is a good example of where your whatever the hell calculator fails. She matches me on both my maternal and paternal sides. And our shared cousins are people I know.
    she who?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA
    Q M242
    mtDNA
    R0

Doesnt Being British make a difference I mean you both say im miniscule matching but you arnt In Britain. Maybe With British romanichal ill match higher? Im trying my hardest here to find family i have too many gaps In the paper Trees down both parents.

Registered Users
    Sex

Slovakia Poland Romani United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane_Valentine_Walker View Post
    Doesnt Being British make a difference I mean you both say im miniscule matching but you arnt In Britain. Maybe With British romanichal ill match higher? Im trying my hardest here to find family i have too many gaps In the paper Trees down both parents.
    Generally, you can expect small matches with anyone you may share ethnicity with, but when the matches are below 7 or 5cM/700-500SNPs, it's likely just random 'noise'. But like I've said about the difference between my sister and myself--I match people at long lengths/SNPs, whereas her matches are very small--the small matches could be significant--it's hard to tell if you don't have something else to go by.

A 'Romani' segment of DNA should probably match Roma from all over the world-- but if your Romani ancestor is more than a great-great grandparent, any DNA signal can easily have been lost.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA
    Q M242
    mtDNA
    R0

Prehaps your right. Thanks for helping me out but to clarify I'm looking for family. Segments Might be all over my family tree. I'm sure it's not one random person that's leading to my results. Why would that be? Maybe a random romantic encounter? The traveller in paper work was 2x great grandad (my mums dad)but he and family showed houses at next censes but doesn't change their ethnicity. My grandad (dads) side he is invisible man no name nothing. But I guessed irish as I'm 30% irish and no other full irish 1x great back or recenter that I know about but he could be mixed Romani Irish as they hang together I know this fact from horse fairs. Then again another man 2x great came from Ireland (mums dad side) so unlikely 30% from him. Then I have the 3 x great 2x great and great grandad basket makers son of son etc that travelled from London to Durham to Halifax between not exact I can't remember without looking) 1850s to 1950s. One of them kept lodging at houses. (Dads mums side) Another mystery man from Barlow/king (mums Mum side ) Then the holland side (mums dad) same name as Romani in leicestershire but dates arnt matching just close even same names for children which is why i thought maybe cousins and one even married In same tiny tiny village only has 4000 people today never mind back 200 years ago that is ibstock. Anyhows I'm off. Thanks again.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA
    Q M242
    mtDNA
    R0

Maybe i should ask my brother to do it

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA
    Q M242
    mtDNA
    R0

I mean take a DNA test

Registered Users

I'd meant to post that as a reply to someone's reply to Laura Holland saying they didn't see any Romani lines in her matches, or whatever. Whatever you're doing to "calculate" is ridiculous. It's also very creepy - this whole thread is, if you ask me - but then, I'm a gypsy. Would you like to know if you are one? See how that sounds from my point of view? If you don't know if you are one, guess what? YOU'RE NOT!

Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast