Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Gypsy? Would you like to know?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 > E-PH1246
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    Oh, gosh... be careful what you're asking here...

It's probably a good idea to go back through this whole thread and follow each reply. You'll see that it can be quite difficult, and that some people take offense at anyone presuming any Romany ancestry if it isn't already obvious.

There is another Thread called something like "the 101 guide to Romany ancestry" that should be helpful as well.

There are some general considerations:

As JerryS had noted above, generally, we expect a certain amount of Southwest Asian/Middle Eastern and a smaller portion of South Asian.

The problem is is that most European ethnic groups have SW Asian, and even South Asian/Indian appears in small numbers in a number of Northern European samples.

I've tried to point out that (1) if you're at all mixed Euro with SW Asian/Mediterranean, these calculators will be less reliable and (2) if you're 1/8 or less of anything, it may not be detectable at all.

It's been mentioned several times that, when it comes to Romany heritage, the best thing to do is see if you match with other Romani kits. But even that may not help too much, as, again, if you're less than 1/8 you may just not have enough segments to match well with other Roma.

I'm going to say something I've said before that got me in trouble with a particular member, but I've looked into it, and it's true. British Gypsies, Romany and Traveler alike, were taken to the US colonies as slaves, servants, and prisoners just like anyone else. So there's no particular reason to assume that it's not likely that somewhere down the colonial road, one may have popped into your family tree.

There are a number of British Gypsies (Romanichal) on this board who don't seem to like the idea of people looking into their family history in search of a Romany ancestor. But apparently, there should be a paper trail. That's probably your best bet. (As for European Romany, there probably will not be such a paper trail, as typically they were forced to adopt, officially, local customs and names, and often referred to themselves as the ethnicity of whatever country they were coming from).

I doubt that, from a US Colonial history, any amount of "Gypsy DNA"--South or West Asian, will be in any detectable amount.
    These people can kick rocks as far as I am concerned. If they dont like it, they dont have to log on and can stay out of the thread. Free choice is a beautiful thing
    DNA Tribes
    34.4% NW European
    26.9% Italian Greek
    11% Balto-North Slavic
    8.2% Iberian
    8.2% Finnish
    4.3% Caucasus
    4% Basque
    1.2% Yeniseian
    1% Ashkenazi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (09-28-2018), JosephK (09-27-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by Kane_Valentine_Walker View Post
    On a serious family missing grand parent I was wondering if he was Finnish. It was a random country that keeps appearing. Plus DNA.Land says Im 7% finnish, wegene says 25% finnish. But Ancestry is a big fat 0% as is my heritage a big fat 0% Gedmatch is throwing it up in some and not others but Gedmatch gives alot of Saami? surely it has to be there if its appearing, I can't find Roma and accept he wasn't Romani thats out ruled, the travellers I think were Irish from the paper trail down my mums side.
    Your best bet for figuring this out is likely not ethnicity estimates, which just aren't accurate enough yet in most cases, and instead matches.

Try to put your matches in buckets -- those that match through your maternal grandmother, paternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, and paternal grandfather. Since one of those is unknown, they will be harder to do, but you may be able to find a group of people who seem to have lots of intermatching with each other and not with your other matches, and they may be your matches through the missing grandparent. You can probably work from that to figuring out more information, including ethnic background.

Also, if it's a Y line you have even more options.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Kane_Valentine_Walker (09-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA
    Q M242
    mtDNA
    R0

Thanks, what are these Y line options? I'll use my brother hes cis male.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Y line only works for the male line all the way back. So dad, paternal grandfather, his father, his father, so on. So if the missing grandfather is on that line you can potentially learn a lot from a Y test of another man in that line.

I am getting a cousin to test so I can do my mom's line too. Her brother could do it (he's the right Y line), but won't.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ruthenian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    n/a

Belarus Russian Federation Russia Imperial Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know my father's pedigree very deep, all the known ancestors were specified as Russians in the birth/marriage records, but he must have had non-Russian ancestors as well. On Gedmatch he has a bunch of native Siberian matches e.g. evenk, komi, even, dolgan, Siberian tatar.
    It seems to be really hard to confirm Gypsy ancestry with such ethnical background.
    Where in Siberia were his parents born? Actually it's not unusual for Siberian Russians to have some extra Siberian admixture if they are from long-established families (starozhily).

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    Where in Siberia were his parents born? Actually it's not unusual for Siberian Russians to have some extra Siberian admixture if they are from long-established families (starozhily).
    His father's line is from Irkutsk oblast, mother's - from Tyumen oblast.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:

Leto (10-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ruthenian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    n/a

His father's line is from Irkutsk oblast, mother's - from Tyumen oblast.
    And your mother is Ukrainian or Western Russian, isn't she? Add there her Eurogenes results too please.

And your mother is Ukrainian or Western Russian, isn't she? Add there her Eurogenes results too please.
    Correct, she is from Bryanks oblast so she is West Russian though could be part Ukrainian/Belarus because this region borders with Ukraine and Belarus. Posted the results here
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....912#post506912

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:

Leto (10-12-2018)

Correct, she is from Bryanks oblast so she is West Russian though could be part Ukrainian/Belarusian because this region borders with Ukraine and Belarus. Posted the results here
    Last edited by Victorious; 10-12-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ruthenian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    n/a

Correct, she is from Bryanks oblast so she is West Russian though could be part Ukrainian/Belarus because this region borders with Ukraine and Belarus. Posted the results here
    Does your father show any Asian features? I mean many Siberian Russians do look mixed.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast