Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland

Cool The Balkan Food Thread

I thought I'd make a thread so everyone can discuss Balkan food, because lets face it, Balkan people love to eat

I wasn't raised with a lot of Balkan culture, so I wasn't exposed to a lot of dishes. The one I had a lot of as a kid, even though it isn't a main meal (unless you love it a lot) is kroštule. My grandmother used to make them regularly, so I had them on a weekly basis. I've made blitva which I find to be quite good. I used to eat ajvar but I've gone off it because I can't find anything it tastes amazing on. Suggestions would be great.

Kroštule

Blitva

Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Mamluk (12-14-2015),  MikeWhalen (11-09-2015),  Morci (12-14-2015),  Star93 (12-18-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M412
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1

United States of America Ireland Spain Germany Palatinate Italy
    The Krostule reminds me of the crab rangoons they serve at Asian Buffets. I don't think I've ever tried Balkan food, but I'd love to. It looks pretty tasty.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gruder For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (11-09-2015),  Morci (12-14-2015),  Star93 (12-18-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by jtoml4 View Post
    I used to eat ajvar but I've gone off it because I can't find anything it tastes amazing on. Suggestions would be great.
    Ćevapi ?
    chevapi.jpg

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zarkusa For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (12-30-2015),  Mamluk (12-14-2015),  Star93 (12-18-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (12-15-2015),  Táltos (12-16-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a F1345
    mtDNA (M)
    B5B1c

Palestine Ottoman Empire Philippines Spain Albania Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    ^That looks good! My family makes ajvar, but usually in the summertime, especially for barbeques, when it's scooped up with pita bread.

It also goes well with pastries (börek/burek) that are fried, instead of baked. (Watch out for heartburn, so you have to drink ayran--a cold, churned yogurt drink--with it.

My avatar is the Turkic-Bulgar symbol of the Mamluk sultan, Baybars, whose name means "chief leopard." He transplanted the steppe-style comitatus and postal system to the sultanate, and installed his secret couriers to operate it. (My surname is a relic of these Kipchak-Cuman couriers.) This leopard symbol is often found on structures he commissioned throughout Palestine. A similar one is used as the emblem of the Kazan Tatars, and is portrayed as a snow leopard, Aq-Bars.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamluk For This Useful Post:

King (12-23-2015),  Star93 (12-18-2015),  Táltos (12-16-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

I had a Bosnian Teaching Assistant... she once told me that their cuisine is mostly comprised of fried dish! how true is it ? I only know of few dishes.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kassitic acolyte
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1b1a1(J-PF7263)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    I had a Bosnian Teaching Assistant... she once told me that their cuisine is mostly comprised of fried dish! how true is it ? I only know of few dishes.
    Tbh their food is like some mix of greek-Turkish food, with a bit of ukranian/Carpathian influence. They have things like cevapici(Balkan kebab), ajvar, other stuff. Every countrie's food culture seems to be the result of the influences around it.
    Last edited by Arbogan; 12-20-2015 at 12:56 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbogan For This Useful Post:

Táltos (12-20-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA (M)
    H 47

Quote Originally Posted by Arbogan View Post
    Tbh their food is like some mix of greek-Turkish food, with a bit of ukranian/Carpathian influence. They have things like cevapici(Balkan kebab), ajvar, other stuff. Every countrie's food culture seems to be the result of the influences around it.
    I'd say that's a fairly accurate description. A mix of Central European and Mediterranean, as expected

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gravetto-Danubian For This Useful Post:

Táltos (12-20-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun/East-Slavic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z93

Quote Originally Posted by Arbogan View Post
    Which kind of ukrainian food Bosnians have? I did not know that Bosnian cuisine had ukrainian influences.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kassitic acolyte
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1b1a1(J-PF7263)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains View Post
    Which kind of ukrainian food Bosnians have? I did not know that Bosnian cuisine had ukrainian influences.
    I'm talking about the soup, cabbage based dishes, and the different baked and stews.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbogan For This Useful Post:

Táltos (12-20-2015)

Banned
    Sex

Ukraine maybe considered an eastern or south-eastern in relation to Russia , Poland and Belarus. But Ukrainian cuisine is north- east European the most part. To 90% it is similar to Polish, Belarusian, Lithuanian and Russian cuisines. The main difference I can see between our (Belarusian, Russian, Polish) and Ukrainian cuisine is the kind of grains Ukrainians use in bread making. We used rye in bread making because rye was yielding better crops in northern climate, while Ukraine used wheat because it was blessed with warmer climate and fertile soil. Also Ukrainians have more vegetables and fruits in their diets.
    Last edited by Volat; 12-21-2015 at 08:22 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

Táltos (12-21-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast