Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: L1029 in Britain?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    299
    Sex

    L1029 in Britain?

    Hey all

    I recently found out that I have a big-Y match with an Englishman (My paternal line leads to England as well). We both belong to L1029, and we apparently share 1/2 of our SNPs downstream of L1029. As far as I understand, the TMRCA of L1029 is 2100 years, and there are some that say it is 10-20% older than that (so 2500 years).

    Given that we share half of our SNPs downstream of L1029, that would indicate a MCRA living around 950AD to 750AD (depending on the TMRCA used).

    The goal of my genetic research is to understand how my line of L1029 came to England. Given that we have a MRCA at 950AD to 750AD, it would seem that those dates are the latest possible time for my ancestors to have entered England, and could at least theoretically have entered even before that.

    Given the rarity of L1029 in Britain (and the rest of Western Europe), I am curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on how it could have arrived so early? If the 2500 TMRCA of L1029 is correct, it would even predate the first viking raids in England!

    any thoughts?

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brent.B For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    13,847
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    You would probably get more responses if you posted that in the R1a subforum.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Brent.B (11-25-2015)

  5. #3
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,718
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent.B View Post
    Given that we have a MRCA at 950AD to 750AD, it would seem that those dates are the latest possible time for my ancestors to have entered England, and could at least theoretically have entered even before that.
    I would not necessarily conclude that, because an entire clan (with a TMRCA hundreds of years before) could cross into England en masse. But even if your assertion is true, it leave the obvious possibility of the Anglo-Saxon invasion.

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Brent.B (11-25-2015),  leonardo (11-25-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017),  rms2 (11-25-2015)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    189
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-BY27799
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-YP1020*

    Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    I would not necessarily conclude that, because an entire clan (with a TMRCA hundreds of years before) could cross into England en masse. But even if your assertion is true, it leave the obvious possibility of the Anglo-Saxon invasion.
    I think that it is fairly possible that somewhat less frequent L1029 sublineage got to Denmark, assimilated and then landed in England with other Danes. It could've also explained a presence of some other "Slavic" branches of R1a, like S18681 or Y2902.

  8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Artmar For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Brent.B (11-25-2015),  leonardo (11-25-2015),  lgmayka (11-25-2015),  Michał (11-25-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017),  rms2 (11-25-2015)

  9. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    13,847
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I don't want to be accused of attributing all R1a to Slavic peoples, but I recall that Gwynn Jones, in his excellent book, A History of the Vikings, mentioned the little known fact that there were Wends among the Anglo-Saxons. Apparently they were allies with some of the Germanic tribes in that confederation. Of course, no doubt many of the Germanics were R1a themselves. Any evidence of L1029 among the Wends or their descendants?

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Brent.B (11-25-2015),  leonardo (11-25-2015),  lgmayka (11-25-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017)

  11. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    299
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    I would not necessarily conclude that, because an entire clan (with a TMRCA hundreds of years before) could cross into England en masse.
    Yes, I was thinking that as a possibility as well. However, I would be surprised to find a tribe only in England (where the occurrences of such DNA, if it is Slavic, should be rare), while finding none in it's homeland of Central Europe/ the Baltic. Doesn't it make more sense that a rare/early sub lineage of L1029 made it to somewhere like Denmark and expanded (slightly) once it got to England?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artmar View Post
    I think that it is fairly possible that somewhat less frequent L1029 sublineage got to Denmark, assimilated and then landed in England with other Danes. It could've also explained a presence of some other "Slavic" branches of R1a, like S18681 or Y2902.
    That is my thoughts. If true, the question is when did this happen? Pre-viking? (Anglo Saxon as lgmayka said) or later?

    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I don't want to be accused of attributing all R1a to Slavic peoples, but I recall that Gwynn Jones, in his excellent book, A History of the Vikings, mentioned the little known fact that there were Wends among the Anglo-Saxons. Apparently they were allies with some of the Germanic tribes in that confederation. Of course, no doubt many of the Germanics were R1a themselves. Any evidence of L1029 among the Wends or their descendants?
    I looked through the book but can't find reference to the Wends among the Anglo Saxons? I know they participated with the Vikings, but I have never heard that the Slavs partook in the Anglo Saxon migrations.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brent.B For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Michał (11-25-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017)

  13. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,712
    Sex
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L1280>FGC41205
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2(b)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L1029>YP517
    mtDNA (P)
    H5a2

    Poland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent.B View Post
    That is my thoughts. If true, the question is when did this happen? Pre-viking? (Anglo Saxon as lgmayka said) or later?
    I would wait for the TMRCA age estimate provided by YFull before trying to answer your question. Having said that, I consider the Viking/Danish variant the most likely scenario at the moment. For example, Cnut the Great is commonly considered to have been a son of a Slavic/Polish princess (daughter of Mieszko I and sister of Bolesław the Brave), so she likely was accompanied by some Poles when traveling to Denmark to marry Sweyn Forkbeard.
    Last edited by Michał; 11-26-2015 at 06:05 AM.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michał For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Artmar (11-26-2015),  Brent.B (11-25-2015),  leonardo (11-25-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017)

  15. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    299
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Michał View Post
    I would wait for the TMRCA age estimate provided by YFull before trying to answer your question. Having said that, I consider the Viking/Danish variant the most likely scenario at the moment. For example, Cnut the Great is commonly considered to have been a son of a Slavic/Polish princess (daughter of Mieszko I and sister of Bolesław the Great), so she likely was accompanied by some Poles when traveling to Denmark to marry Sweyn Forkbeard.
    Like you say, it will be more clear once we have more solid TMRCAs.

    But if we assume your suggestion that Y-Full underestimates the age of L1029 by 10-20% is correct, AND the TMRCA of this English subclade is half that of L1029 (750AD), then that would predate even the first viking raids in England (they only started in the 790's)

    Cnut himself was born in 990AD. This is even later than the English L1029 MCRA assuming Y-Full's age is correct with no 10-20% extra in age (950AD). So in that case, perhaps the Danelaw?

    But you are right, I'll need to wait until there is a more solid picture of the age of L1029 and my subclade to make a better guess as to what this all means.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brent.B For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (11-25-2015),  Michał (11-26-2015),  Power77 (08-19-2017)

  17. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    219
    Sex
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC41890
    mtDNA (M)
    H49a1

    England Ireland Germany Imperial Scotland Switzerland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I don't want to be accused of attributing all R1a to Slavic peoples, but I recall that Gwynn Jones, in his excellent book, A History of the Vikings, mentioned the little known fact that there were Wends among the Anglo-Saxons. Apparently they were allies with some of the Germanic tribes in that confederation. Of course, no doubt many of the Germanics were R1a themselves. Any evidence of L1029 among the Wends or their descendants?
    There is this study on Sorbian genetics: http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...hg201165a.html but it looks like only autosomal DNA. It does cite a few other studies that did involve Y-DNA though that may be worth looking at but they likely all predate the discovery of L1029 and are from the STR era. Speaking of Wends, I remember driving through a historic Wendish community in Texas on a family reunion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wends_of_Texas I wonder if any of these Texan Wends have done testing.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntergatherer1066 For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (08-19-2017),  rms2 (11-28-2015)

  19. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,176
    Sex
    Location
    Washington state
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

    United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Old "Bluetooth", Forkbeard's daddy, hired slavic mercenaries because they were loyal directly to him. He couldn't trust his scheming palace guard, etc., what with the constant palace intrigue going on.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

     GMan71 (11-27-2015)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. R1a>M458>L1029
    By Varang in forum R1a-Z283
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-05-2020, 04:49 PM
  2. R1a-M458-L1029*
    By Dibran in forum R1a-Z283
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 05:18 PM
  3. Chinese L1029
    By Brent.B in forum R1a General
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-01-2019, 03:05 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM
  5. Two more individual SNP tests for R1a-L1029
    By lgmayka in forum R1a-Z283
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •