Thread: Noob Questions - (for possible R1b1a)

Sex

Question Noob Questions - (for possible R1b1a)

Hello!

1) For somebody who is starting off with Ancestry testing, I hear FTDNA is the way to go; they basically have a monopoly. Their database of users is meant to be greater than all the other companies combined. Is there really no better alternative?

2) Are there health insurance concerns to be aware of, if testing? Is there a good discussion of this somewhere?

3) Judging by family name and location, there is a good chance the male is R1b1a, with lots of other people of the same name tested. What would be the benefits of taking the Comprehensive Genome Test rather than the SuperDNA test at FTDNA? Nobody is personally known who has carried out a test before. Is SuperDNA much better bang for the buck? Would it be of much help to others to choose the Comprehensive Genome test?

4) Is it possible to see sample outputs of these tests somewhere?

5) When did the current package of these 2 tests come onto the market? I would like to know how up-to-date they are. I am concerned that there might be a new "must have" feature in a later test in a month or so.

6) How frequently are new genetic markers discovered that are useful for ancestry

7) Which e-books or web-pages would make some good easy reading for an introduction to ancestry DNA?

Thank you so much for your help!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b->DF27->A7080
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1f

United States of America Germany Imperial Austrian Empire Germany Palatinate Scotland Switzerland
    1) For YDNA and MTDNA.. FTDNA is the only choice. For aDNA there are quite a few good choices. I think 23andme is the best deal with the others in my preferred order FTDNA, Geno 2.0 then Ancestry (please avoid this one unless it's offered free).

2) None now. If it's a concern best to be as anonymous as possible. Personally I don't think there's much to worry about since the error rate is still pretty high that any decent lawyer could fight any argument from the insurance company. 20X FGS would be a completely different story in my opinion.

3) Super DNA is just a bunch of test from FTDNA that have a cool name. just wait until the FTDNA sale and you save far more than ordering the SuperDNA. I have the equivalent of the Super DNA now accumulated over a few year all during the big FTDNA sale discounts.

4) Google is your friend.. I would suggest start at website below since she has lots of early reviews and comparisons. See http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com

5) Both 23andme and FTDNA tests aDNA. They are the best latest you can get. Geno 2.0 technically is newer but I consider it more for ancestry since has little if any medical info. FTDNA does have some medical info even though FTDNA stated it does not.

6) This is slow process... just get a modern test from 23andme or FTDNA

7) I highly recommend the animations at http://www.smgf.org/pages/animations.jspx . They are short , simple and convey lots of useful information so can ask good newbie DNA questions. BTW your questions are very good for someone without previous DNA testing.

Finally the third party testing is amazing. See http://bga101.blogspot.com ,http://magnusducatus.blogspot.com ,http://dodecad.blogspot.com http://gedmatch.com.
    Last edited by thetick; 01-14-2013 at 04:15 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (01-14-2013),  introvert (01-15-2013),  Scarlet Ibis (01-14-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    thetick has steered you well. I'll just add re #6, this information comes in fits and starts. With the Genographic 2.0 test results pouring in, some new Y markers are being discovered very quickly. But at other times, some yDNA haplogroups have had to wait 5 years for a single useful SNP! For mtDNA, only full genomes will help rewrite the tree, because identifying a motif in the hypervariable region without knowing what the coding region looks like is not sufficient to place someone's highly variable region haplotype on the tree.

When I first had my Y looked at in 2008(?) I was R1a1. Now I'm R1a1a1b2a1*, and I'll soon get more letters and numbers since I am testing additional downstream SNPs not yet on the tree. My mtDNA at first was H11a. Thanks in part to my publishing my mtDNA on Genbank, new branches were added and I am now H11a2a3.

These further subclades do not always offer more information to individuals: but they sometimes do, and they certainly help build the entire human family tree.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (01-14-2013),  thetick (01-15-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b->DF27->A7080
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1f

United States of America Germany Imperial Austrian Empire Germany Palatinate Scotland Switzerland
    AJL makes some good points I missed. About #6 it really is in spurts. My Y DNA has always been the same since I first started testing a very long time ago. It's SRY-2627 which was one of the first R1b subcaldes identified.

As far as mtDNA it's not very useful for genealogy, only deep ancestry. A single mtDNA mutation could be a sister or a common ancestor thousands of years back. Also anything short of mtDNA FGS is pretty worthless in most cases. It can be fascinating to get an unexpected result for example one of the four Native American mtDNA groups especially if you have no known NA ancestry.