Thread: My East-Asian is not entirely South-Asian owed?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    M1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    G2a

Somalia Netherlands

My East-Asian is not entirely South-Asian owed?

I have been getting new matches lately which made me doubt about the origins of the small amounts of east-Asian I have. A while back I had a very close match with somebody on AncestryDNA, which comes from the same community as I do, but has east-Asian above noise region. He has not uploaded to gedmatch. Here are the main and trace regions:

Asia South, Middle East, Africa Southeastern Bantu, Asia East.
    Trace Regions: Finland/Northwest Russia, Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers, Africa North, Melanesia, Asia Central.

My east-Asian is a trace region, so it is in the possible noise category, but I do score 1-5% on average in many calculators.

Recently I have got an even closer match (possibly close family), which I also share the above match with.

Asia South, Middle East, Africa Southeastern Bantu, Africa North, Asia East
    Trace Regions: Melanesia, Asia Central.

In comparison these are my main and trace regions:

middle-east, Africa Southeastern Bantu, Asia-south, Africa-North
    Trace regions: Asia-central, Asia-east, Melanesia, native-american.

How much do south-Asian generally score in east-Asian? And since I understand that south-Asians only score a small amount of east Asian?shouldn't by proportion my east-Asian be none existent, if it was only owed from south-Asians? I'am on average 18% south Asian on Ancestry DNA.

I think the fact that it is in the main-region, its safe to say that east-asian>5%

This is the only information I have at the moment.
    Last edited by Deftextra; 12-19-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    I don't know how much East Asian South Asians typically score, but it's not rare for Chinese and Southeast Asians to have percentages of South Asian.
    -For Chinese results I've seen 0.1 to 0.6, I'm at 0.1.

-For Southeast Asians, I'd assume that it can get quite high for some Thais, Malays / Indonesians, Burmese, and Laotians. Not too sure about Cambodians. It's also not unusual for Philippinos to score South Asian.

-If I were to take a guess at how much E. Asian people of South Asian ethnicity tend to score, I'd say not too much for most groups, but more in the Northeast of India and perhaps Bangladesh.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    Given your origins, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this East Asian was Austronesian, perhaps mediated through a remote ancestor from Madagascar.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telugu
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    J1

India United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by IJN_Kongou_Desu View Post
    I don't know how much East Asian South Asians typically score, but it's not rare for Chinese and Southeast Asians to have percentages of South Asian.
    -For Chinese results I've seen 0.1 to 0.6, I'm at 0.1.

-For Southeast Asians, I'd assume that it can get quite high for some Thais, Malays / Indonesians, Burmese, and Laotians. Not too sure about Cambodians. It's also not unusual for Philippinos to score South Asian.

-If I were to take a guess at how much E. Asian people of South Asian ethnicity tend to score, I'd say not too much for most groups, but more in the Northeast of India and perhaps Bangladesh.
    I am from South India and on AncestryDNA I got 87% South Asian, 8% East Asian, and 5% Melanesian. Indians score more east asian on tests than vice versa. Also I think among east asians, Cambodians score the most south asian. On gedmatch, I've seen Cambodians on spreadsheets score 15% south asian, and the rest 80+% east asian. Cambodians score more south asian than most north east indians ironically.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    Interesting. From what I know NE Indians tend to be closer to peoples like Tibetans and Bhutanese.

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assamese Tai and Kachari
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M13'46'61

India China Myanmar Vietnam Laos
    Quote Originally Posted by IJN_Kongou_Desu View Post
    Interesting. From what I know NE Indians tend to be closer to peoples like Tibetans and Bhutanese.
    We are not, actually closer to Yunnan and Myanmar/Thailand mix, Dai, Naxi type and Mon and Khmer. Not really Tibetans and Bhutanese and more Tibeto Burmese

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    Interesting. Thank you for letting me know. Do you by any chance have DNA test results from 23andMe or another company? I'd be curious to see what you score.