Ethnicity
    Melanesian/Moluccan
    Y-DNA
    C1b2a-m38
    mtDNA
    M74b1

M42

Hi,

According to 23andme my mtDNA = M42, from South/Central Asia (India).
    When I look it up on the Internet, M42 says Aborigines from Australia.
    Anybody who can tell me more about this M42? And if its found in India, where?

Greetings from Holland
    Last edited by Tjada; 01-05-2016 at 05:59 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tjada For This Useful Post:

parasar (01-05-2016),  witness (06-20-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

M42a is Australian, M42b is Indian - they are only very distantly related. M42 is found in Austro-Asiatic and Central Dravidian tribals (possibly elsewhere too, I don't know).

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

palamede (01-28-2016),  parasar (01-05-2016),  redifflal (01-05-2016),  Tjada (01-05-2016)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Tjada View Post
    Hi,

According to 23andme my mtDNA = M42, from South/Central Asia (India).
    When I look it up on the Internet, M42 says Aborigines from Australia.
    Anybody who can tell me more about this M42? And if its found in India, where?

Greetings from Holland
    M42 shares a connection to Indian mtDNA, but M42 itself was considered an Oceanian line.

http://bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com...471-2148-9-173
    "Our complete mtDNA sequencing of 966 individuals from 26 relic populations of India identified seven individuals from central Dravidian and Austro-Asiatic tribes who share two basal synonymous mtDNA polymorphisms G8251A and A9156T with the M42 haplogroup, which is specific to Australian Aborigines."

There is also a "shared variant at nucleotide position 8793 between Australian specific haplogroup M42 and East/Southeast Eurasian specific haplogroup M10"

The paper also says this: "G8251A polymorphism. This polymorphism together with A9156T is present in all 7 Indian samples of this study, as well in one Indian sample (i.e. PU202) reported previously ... Both G8251A and A9156T are considered ancestral to M42, but the lack of G8251A in an Australian sub lineage consisting of two genomes indicates a back mutation event" - but I have my doubts since I think India was (re)populated from Oceania/E.SE Asia than the other way around.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

palamede (01-28-2016),  Tjada (01-05-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian/Moluccan
    Y-DNA
    C1b2a-m38
    mtDNA
    M74b1

Thank you Megalophias & Parasar.

The Austro Asiatic & Dravidian tribals are they much related? By language etc?

Registered Users

Thank you Megalophias & Parasar.

The Austro Asiatic & Dravidian tribals are they much related? By language etc?
    Tjada,
    You are welcome!

Central Indian Dravidians have admixed quite a bit with the Austrics of the region. They are often both clubbed under "Adivasi" though they spoke completely unrelated languages at one time.
    In the mid-Indian region, the Gond who number over 5 million, are the descendants of the dark skinned Kolarian or Dravidian tribes and speak dialects of Austric language family as are the Santhal who number 4 million. The Negrito and Austroloid people belong to the Mundari family of Munda, Santhal, Ho, Ashur, Kharia, Paniya, Saora etc. The Dravidian groups include the Gond, Oraon, Khond, Malto, Bhil, Mina, Garasia, Pradhan etc. and speak Austric or Dravidian family of languages
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...ll=1#post75026

9. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Tjada (01-05-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian/Moluccan
    Y-DNA
    C1b2a-m38
    mtDNA
    M74b1

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Tjada,
    You are welcome!

Central Indian Dravidians have admixed quite a bit with the Austrics of the region. They are often both clubbed under "Adivasi" though they spoke completely unrelated languages at one time.
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...ll=1#post75026
    Ah I see!!
    I'm so curious to see which one I belong to, I mean where my ancestors came from.
    I's there by any chance a tool at gedmatch that you know of that I can use to upload my rawdata?
    At 23andme I have a small percentage of South Asia. I think that it is linked to my haplogroup also, haha.
    But I'm from the Moluccan Islands of eastern Indonesia and I know that at one time many Indians were also there..

Registered Users

Ah I see!!
    I'm so curious to see which one I belong to, I mean where my ancestors came from.
    I's there by any chance a tool at gedmatch that you know of that I can use to upload my rawdata?
    At 23andme I have a small percentage of South Asia. I think that it is linked to my haplogroup also, haha.
    But I'm from the Moluccan Islands of eastern Indonesia and I know that at one time many Indians were also there..
    You should be able to upload your raw 23andme data to Gedmatch.

Cloves from the Moluccas reached as far as Mesopotamia likely via South Asian merchants.
    Terqa cloves 1700bc
    https://books.google.com/books?id=O_aFGKPsWwcC&pg=PA270

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian/Moluccan
    Y-DNA
    C1b2a-m38
    mtDNA
    M74b1

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    You should be able to upload your raw 23andme data to Gedmatch.

Cloves from the Moluccas reached as far as Mesopotamia likely via South Asian merchants.
    Terqa cloves 1700bc
    https://books.google.com/books?id=O_aFGKPsWwcC&pg=PA270
    Oh, I mean, do you know a calculator at gedmatch that is more specific into Indian tribals?
    I already use gedmatch, but there are so many calculators and I just want to take a deeper look into my Indian herritage...

Ah interesting, I know that the Moluccans were called 'the spice Islands' not to long ago..
    But that it also reached as far as Mesopotamia in the old days is new to me! Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Tjada; 01-05-2016 at 09:29 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tjada For This Useful Post:

parasar (01-05-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian/Moluccan
    Y-DNA
    C1b2a-m38
    mtDNA
    M74b1

Hi all,

Because I wanted to be sure if I was M42b, I had uploaded my rawdata at dna.jameslick.
    I came out as: M74b1. (Its's a subgroup of M42'74 I guess?)

I had heard that the James Lick's utility and the tree at www.phylptree.org are much
    more up-to-date than 23andMe.

Last edited by Tjada; 01-19-2016 at 07:58 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tjada For This Useful Post:

parasar (01-28-2016)